Is it worth it to travel on a budget?

Discussion in Travel started by isabbbela • Feb 24, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi Guys!
    So where I work we have one vacation period of 30 days a year, and you can take it after 1year working in the company (pretty standard). I will be able to take my vacation period starting in July, and I can request it for until May next year (after that it expires and vacation is mandatory).
    Since this year I already know I won't have a lot of money to spare, I'm thinking of only taking a vacation next year. I don't think you can enjoy your vacation as welk if you are on a budget and thinking about your expenses all trip!!
    Do you think it's worth it to travel on a budget?

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It's okay to travel with a budget but it's still best to do it with a lot of budget. In case you get stranded in a country, you won't be worried about not going home or getting hungry.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You shouldn't travel if you don't have more than enough money to spend. It's rather simple to plan things, how you'd spend your money etc but realize once you've set out that the prices have changed and you'd maybe need more to fully cater for your needs. Now supposing you don't have that money in your hands right there?

That's why you should never travel on a budget.

4. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's absolutely fine providing that you know in your head that you may be limited at times to what you can do. If you have the opportunity to travel then I would take it every single time!

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    Is there a clause in your contract that says you have to actually leave your house for your vacation? I know so many people who take holiday leave from work and just stay at home and relax, why don't you do that?

6. leanneadams

leanneadamsNew Member

Threads:
    Really depends on were you are going and how much you can afford to spend, but budgeting would be a good way to go

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, this is really common.

Also, are you required to take all 30 days at one time? That's nearly unheard of, from my experience. So you may want to take a week off here and there to recuperate and get a breather....and you can spread that out over the upcoming year.

8. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can spend your days wherever you want as long as you're not working, because holidays are meant to rest.

As for travelling on a budget, what other ways are there? We all have our limited budget.

9. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you. There are people who like to travel on budget and do a backpacking trip. For me, on the other hand, I travel because I want to enjoy and relax and if I don't have much budget, I don't think I will be able to do so. If I don't have enough money, that means I need to stay at a cheaper hotel with bad facilities and I can't eat in good restaurant or I can't shop as much as I want. I would rather save and wait instead of vacationing that way.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    Depends how you like to travel. Some people like to go to tourist destinations, stay in a nice hotel and eat in a restaurant every single night.
    Others are just fine sleeping in a hostel, cooking most of their meals and going to the cheapest bar in town for a couple of beers with the other people from the hostel.

Both ways can be great, it just really depends what you want to do. I've been to both types of vacations and both can be really enjoyable... it all depends on you.

11. Jrh2

Jrh2Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is worth travelling on a budget as you would spend your holiday worrying about the money rather than having a good time. Maybe you could find somewhere cheaper in your country to have a holiday which should be a lot cheaper but is still a change from everyday life. I would save the money and go on a holiday next year when you have more to spend and less to worry about.

12. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I think it is worth it but it really depends on where you're going and what type of vacation you're taking. If you're going on an 'adventure type' vacation it's often easier to travel on a budget because you're likely not going to spend a lot of money on a hotel and expensive things like that.

Some people don't want to stay in anything less than a 4* hotel, which can take a lot out of your budget, but with an adventure type vacation you're probably only going to be in the hotel for sleeping and so you wouldn't care whether you're in a one or two star hotel, just so long as it's safe/not likely to be broken into.

13. dan213

dan213New Member

Threads:
    My wife's family lives in New Jersey and we live in Michigan. We tend to visit them 2-3 times a year and always travel with a budget, it is also a plus that we get to stay with my in-laws. We know roughly how much the trip will cost and budget accordingly but always understand that there will be other things we do while visiting so we need to plan accordingly.

For example, we sometimes take day-trips to New York City and plan on going to Philadelphia the next time we head that way. I guess we take a vacation while on vacation so the money spent is "vacation" money.

14. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely think it's worth it to travel on a budget. I currently work at a one-stop shop business and one of our specialties are booking flights, tours, and hotels.

Though we mark up on the costings, we still offer affordable buys and all-in packages for people who want a full experience in a different country or even somewhere domestically. We aim to give people a good flight, a nice and comfortable hotel, and of course, a city tour with a tour guide. It's all-in and our customers love getting these ready-made packages because they're able to save a bunch of cash. They get a city tour and transportation (and sometimes full-board meals are included), so all they really need to bring around is some pocket cash for shopping and souvenirs. It's definitely worth it to travel on a budget!

15. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Traveling is one of the best things in life in my opinion so it's always worth to travel. If I can't afford a 5 stars hotel I can go camping, if I can afford eating out every day I can stay at an apart-hotel, there are always good things we can do with our money as long as there is will to travel. :)

16. winsomenotions

winsomenotionsMember

Threads:
    If you are a thrifty person, travelling on a budget can be just as good as travelling with huge amounts of money. If it is important to you to visit expensive places, 5 star restaurants, and book an amazing hotel, then I would suggest waiting until you have more money. However, if you don't mind leaving with few souvenirs or avoiding expensive tourist sites you should be ok.

17. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Traveling on a budget is rather worrisome. I can just imagine going to your desired destination and wondering about how much you spent, how much you're going to spend and how much you've left in the bank. That is one reason why if I go abroad, I want to make sure I have a lot of cash that I am able to use to have a good time. It's better to just save up a solid amount of money that you can use.

18. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    You can ride the subway or bus, and taxis are cheap and you also use cheap tickets for the airline and i suggest to you that no compromise on food budget because its not good for your tour...

19. beccagreen

beccagreenActive Member

Threads:
    If you're on a tight budget I think it's not worth it. Not unless of course the travel cost will be cheap and you can afford it. If you're traveling abroad then you have to check on your wallet and organize everything but I suggest you just stay put and maybe do something else.