Is "live Free Or Die" Feasible?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Noreht • Apr 19, 2016.

1. Noreht

NorehtMember

Threads:
    I recently started watching the show and I really enjoy seeing how everyone lives of the land and how they adapt to living without the things we see as Bare Necessities. It is the ultimate form of not paying full.

My question is this, They all live on huge plots of land that was either passed down or given to them, so they had money and probably still have bank accounts for when things get really tough. How feasible is it to live like they do in today's world? Can it be done or is it all just for the camera?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In as much as it's NOT for me at all, i believe it is possible. Over the years I've seen many documentaries, including on the National Geographic channel that show that there are still civilisations out there who successfully live like this. Most of these societies have never known any different, so i guess it's easier for them. But I've also heard of people in America who choose the simple life, sometimes even living completely off the grid. I mean, the Amish do it and seem to be happy with how they live. From what i understand, they live off the land and lead a very, very simple life.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People can live on very little, but often that is also not a choice but how things have ended up. I have on my travels met people like this and most don't have very much so they make do with what they have and don't look for much else. They don't want to be part of the system, and don't have credit or register to vote. Are they really part of society when they do that?

Does it matter as long as they don't harm others? That's why many people do disappear or change their identity and people never find them again.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have never seen this show but I do think it's possible to live completely free with proper planning and a willingness to sacrifice. I myself am much too used to the lifestyle I live now and I don't see myself giving it up anytime soon because I see the effort of both being equal and I'd just much rather have this particular life that I'm living now. I've seen some documentaries on people who live in the middle of nowhere and they seem happy but like I said the amount of effort they put into keeping things running in that way, as I see, is pretty much equal to the effort I put into what I do as well and I find this a bit more comfortable for now.