Is living together before marriage ethical?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Banister • Oct 25, 2013.

1. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    I have a friend of mine who is recently living with his potential partner..he says that this would help them know each other to a deeper heights than it would be if they weren’t. But looking at the Biblical concept, the Christians believe and the moral stands of many communities I don’t think this is acceptable. Do you guys think it is?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They're not a potential partner, they ARE a partner. Marriage is in the mind and heart.. not on a dotted line. It's absolutely not unethical; just to those who live by different rules and other people's lives are none of their concern. They are living for the now.. not for what might not even be...

3. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I think the concept of ethics is so subjective... As long as there is love and respect I don't see why we should call ethics into it. I see the Bible as a symbolic book, but most people see it in it's literal way and that is somewhat extremist in my opinion.

4. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    What is unethical about it? As Josie said, they already are partners and I don't see why anyone would want to judge them for it just because they aren't married as yet.

5. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I think there is nothing wrong with living together before marriage. Marriage is nothing more thsn a formal ceremony to affirm their love for one another in front of friends and family. It's not something that you have to do before you start living together. I know the church says otherwise, but I think people should go by what their heart tells them.

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's something ridiculous, specially for this day and age. Religion, as much as it can be a cultural aspect of some people, it should never be the factor to decide that such a thing like who do you hang out with or where you live.

7. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    Your views are just like mine guys...I was just confused living with a girl who I love though. The concept of mention a friend was just ironical in order to see how guys you would react...but i personally doubt If I SAID I AM THE one staying with my girlfriend not many would say what they have said...I am wrong guys?

8. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    None of the posters here personally knows you, so I don't think it matters if it's your friend or if it's you. Plus, I don't think you need validation for your decisions from a bunch of strangers on the internet.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If it's you I would still say it isn't unethical. I don't know you or your friend. People need to stop looking outside themselves to seek approval for the things that make them happy.. your approval is all that matters.

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I mean, this is a totally personal question. There's really no right answer here.

Personally, I didn't do it. I have several friends and two siblings who did. I don't judge them for it.

Statistically, the divorce rate is higher among those who co-habitated before marriage, if you care about that kind of thing. Oddly enough, statistically, there's no difference in the divorce rate among Christians and everybody else. So you know.

Personally, I didn't want to "play house." I wanted the piece of paper and the ceremony in front of family and witnesses that forced my man to commit. :)

To be honest, that first year of marriage was really hard. Living with someone was really hard for me. I'm not sure we would have lasted as a couple if we hadn't been married and had chosen to live together. There were definitely times where I thought, "I'm doing this because I'm in it now..." but I definitely questioned my decision more than once that year.

I can happily report we've now been married 8 years, with no signs of stopping. The growing pains are gone. We have 3 kids. We have far more to worry about than who folds towels and where to put the toothpaste. Haha.

11. iShootRocks

iShootRocksNew Member

Threads:
    I don't see much wrong with it as long as they are happy. They shouldn't be told that they can't live together if they really do want to!

12. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know some say it's a sin and it's wrong but I guess my outlook on it Is If people feel they will become stronger living together first before getting married than that's good for them If not that's okay too. So I guess i'm netural with it.

13. Annetteb

AnnettebActive Member

Threads:
    I feel that it's your life to live however you want to live it. If you want to live with someone before marriage then that is your right. You don't have to have anyones approval when it comes to how you want to live. You do what makes you happy and that's that.

14. Shana

ShanaMember

Threads:
    Wow, really? What someone does behind closed doors is their business and their life. If they want to live together before marriage then by all means they should. It's not for you to judge them by at all. ANd on a real note if more people test drove the car before they bought it then maybe the divorce rate wouldn't be so high.

15. KC Evans

KC EvansMember

Threads:
    I think this is acceptable. We are living in different times. Marriage doesn't always solidify a relationship. My fiance and I love each other dearly. We have been together for 20 years and have lived together for 13. We are not married and still in love. I guess it all depends on the couple and their happiness NOT societies beliefs.

16. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Whoa, this has a lot of complicated elements. By ethical are we referring to a specific definition or the actual one: of or relating to moral principles or the branch of knowledge dealing with these. Is there something 'immoral' about living together or by 'living together' do we mean opening the doors on a sexual relationship? Does that then breach the idea of morality? Complicated question with complicated elements.

17. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I am not religious, so I think this question is absurd. Who cares who you stay with? Is it really so wrong to live with someone or even have sex before marriage? I don;t think so.

18. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    1) Although its great that you dont judge them, you shouldnt be judging them anyway becaaaauuuuse... it isnt your place to judge them for it
    2) actually no its not, on both counts. Statistically divorce is highest among those who barely knew each other before marrying. You never truly know someone until youve lived them them. ALSO, statistically divorce is among the lowest when it comes to atheist couples. When someone is contantly judging you based on what some few hundred year old book says, its pretty hard on a relationship. When you live life by whats right or wrong in your heart, and both of you agree on whats right or wrong based on your heart instead of some book, life is MUCH easier.
    3) thats exactly what i mean by "you dont know someone until youve lived with them. You were lucky. Nowadays people get married because they like the sex they had over the last few months. Then they move in and realize they hate each other. Most of those marriages end in divorce. If they had lived together before marrying, they would have still hated each other and split, but would not have to go through divorce.
    4) Imagine if you made the decision to marry and have kids AFTER those growing pains. AFTER youre already comfortable with each other and know what one another likes, doesnt like and tolerates. Wouldnt that be nice?

#18Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  19. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Did God 'breathe life into' a minister and/or a witness to verify Adam & Eve? Do high-school graduates have to do the cap-&-gown ceremony BEFORE they attend high-school?

The reason you asked here was to see if IT were ethical, not if YOU would be viewed any differently; but if that's what you're asking ... that is the REASON for the wedding: to announce to all 'the world' (at least YOUR entire world, the people you invite) that 'You' are no longer 'just you,' but are part of a 'marriage.' Like a mated pair of socks.

That's how they lived in Sodom & Gomorrah, and that's how they made that place famous!

20. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    As long as they are happy and it's what they want to do, I don't think it's anyone's business but theirs.

I believe living together before marriage is not only ethical, but essential nowadays, a divorce can be a very expensive thing and you could be financially burdened for the rest of your life. It's best to know as much as possible about your future spouse, the potential for nasty surprises is much larger than for good ones...