Is luxury chocolate even worth it?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Squigly • Nov 5, 2014.

1. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'm talking about those really expensive pieces or brands that you can get at a chocolatier, like Godiva or Montezuma for example. Often when you do the math it can come down to several dollars for a piece of chocolate! I could get some really great sushi at that price :(

I would rather buy some decent mid-price dark chocolate (maybe Lindt) for my chocolate fix. Is it even worth the exorbitant price tag?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't know - all the chocolate I ever ate was the cheap kind, and trust me, it was delicious. Sure, maybe that really expensive chocolate will send my taste buds in heaven but I don't want that. If I fully enjoy the cheaper product, as in not once do I think that it's bad and I'm missing out on something, I will never purchase a more expensive kind. And this is the case with the sweets here.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried some above average expensive chocolate and I do think they are worth it if that is your taste because they really do taste richer. However, I am like you and actually prefer mid range chocolate like Lindt because they are much closer to my liking. I am not that picky when it comes to chocolate and I am very happy already with a Cadburry bar or even something way cheaper.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some expensive chocolate is worth it. I like Cadbury's (UK only), Lindt and I will buy a Godiva bar for myself if there is no other chocolate around I like. I despise Hershey's and several others so it is dependent on taste, but i would not hesitate to buy myself a bag or bar of expensive chocolate and eat it. One, I am worth it and it tastes good and gives me pleasure.

5. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Yes... yes it is - it is very worth it. I mean there is a distinct difference which comes from a lot of extra work and that is why it is so expensive. That doesn't mean I get it all the time, but as a special treat... totally worth it. My dream job is to be hired as a taste tester for like Godiva or similar.

6. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have had some really expensive chocolate and I have had some really cheap chocolate, truth be told... I like the cheap chocolate better. I never really saw why spend 15 dollars for 4 pieces of chocolate (I have done this) is preferable to spending 3 dollars on a whole bar when they don't taste much different. It's all in the name and nothing else. If given the choice between Hershey's and Godiva... I'll take Hershey's any day.

7. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I am assuming that chocolate that is more pure would be considered expensive. Here in Ghana, there is milk chocolate, which I would never touch because of the milk and there is dark chocolate, which averages about 80% cocoa. I like the dark chocolate and it costs more than the cheap milk chocolate. I do believe it is well worth it. It has a much better quality.

8. nicolethompson

nicolethompsonNew Member

Threads:
    SO WORTH IT!!!! There is a huge difference in the taste of any regular chocolate and expensive chocolate!!! I love the smoothness of expensive chocolate and as long as I can I will always buy it over your average chocolate!