Is Nair Safe To Use?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Rosyrain • May 16, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have thought about buying a bottle of Nair to use for my hair removal needs as opposed to shaving each week, but I was wondering how safe it is to use? Has anyone on here tried it before? My guess is that it would be best to apply the product with rubber gloves on so that you do not run the risk of removing hair on your hands?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually it comes with a spatula so you can spread it onto the areas you want. I used to use my hands and then wash them straight after as you can apply it to any specific areas like the armpits. It's fine as your fingertips have no hairs to be removed.

You can use gloves, but that would end up wasting some product, but some people prefer it, but it's not dangerous to touch.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people get pretty severe rashes from using Nair, but that's somewhat uncommon. You'll probably be fine using it in place of shaving on a regular basis. It all depends on how your body reacts to it. If you don't experience any nasty side effects, then you're good to go, and you can indeed use gloves if you feel the need.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My mother was one of those people who got pretty bad rashes from using Nair when she was younger. I would say if it’s at all possible, to see if you know someone who uses it, and spot-test before you commit to buying. As long as you have no adverse reaction, you should be okay to use it.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know quite a few people who swear by hair remover, but I can't use it because it irritates my skin. I don't get nasty rashes, but it definitely irritates my skin. I know they've improved the smell over the years, but I really don't like it much :(

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't like the smell either and even when I used creams, sometimes shaving was so much quicker. The thing with using creams is that you can miss the odd hair and you end up having to shave it anyhow! Also, I'm against having too many chemicals dissolving away on my skin, so I stick to shaving or waxing if need be.

7. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have used Nair a few times on my life. It's one of those things I want to work but just doesn't for me. I always find that shaving is simply faster and more effective than Nair or anything like it. I get tired of shaving sometimes, but it really doesn't take long and it works well.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use it on my legs as shaving gives me excrutiatingly itchy ingrown hairs. I've never had any bad reaction to it at all. I just use my hands to apply it too although if I did have any hair on my hands I wouldn't be too worried about the Nair removing it!

9. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Nair is safe to use but if you're hair is thick or coarse, it may be best to use the strongest formula possible. I have better luck with Sally Hansen hair removal products but speaking from experience, here are a couple of things you can do to protect your skin.

Apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly to area where remover will be applied. Since Nair is caustic, it will protect skin from burns if you leave it on for more than 5 minutes.

After removing Nair, wash with a Vitamin E or aloe vera soap. I wouldn't recommend anything with dyes or perfumes because it may bring more acid to the situation.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I went out and bought a bottle of Nair and it worked beautifully on my legs and underarms. I was so impressed that I am going to start buying it as opposed to razors! The only bad thing was that I bought some tea tree shampoo at the same time as the Nair and used the shampoo while the Nair was resting on my skin. I freaked out because I felt the cooling sensation on my head and panicked thinking that I had not washed all the Nair off my hands. Luckily the cool tingly sensation was the shampoo.

11. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used the product in the past, it has been some time since I used it. You do have to remember to remove the cream in a timely manner to avoid getting skin burns. It does remove the hair.

12. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have learned to remove it once my skin starts to itch. This is at about the recommended 3 minute mark in which the instructions say to wipe it off. I put it on and then wait the 3 minutes, and then jump in the shower with a wash cloth. It does work well, but I have noticed that sometimes spots are missed and you have to reapply the lotion. Other than that, the lotion is money well spent.

13. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I also think it really depends on your skin. My friend has tried it and it looked like it ripped her skin off. She has very sensitive skin and I’m pretty sure it burned her. On the other hand I’ve used it before with no problems. However, I am not a fan of it because of all the chemicals it contains. Your skin is your biggest organ and I try to refrain from putting such harsh chemicals on it.

14. Lushlala

Threads:
    Yikes @KimmyMarkks, your friend's bad experience is worrying! Which makes me wonder how some woman I saw on a TV program could put it on her face! The lady had gorgeous skin, and said that she used hair remover as some type of exfoliator! She left it on for a couple of minutes before rinsing it off. I couldn't imagine doing that to my face!

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I bought some Nair face cream recently...and even though it didn't seem harsh...and it didn't have that horrible Nair smell that we are all familiar with..I don't think that it worked well. I could see the product being used as an exfoliator as it does leave your skin soft..but my skin is senstive..I really am not sure I would want to put that all over my face.

16. Lushlala

Threads:
    @Ke Gordon....that's probably what that lady was using! I never even knew that Nair brought out hair remover specifically for the face. That has really piqued my interest because I like to try things out LOL Thanks for mentioning it. I'll start looking out for it with the sole purpose of seeing if it can work as an exfoliator for me, not so much hair remover as I don't have a facial hair problem....YET :)

17. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nair is good and it works for me when I was younger. It has a nice fragrance to me too. Like a few people have mentioned it's good to test it first, so see if there is a trail or travel size or smallest size you can find and find out if it agrees with you and then you can see how you like it after testing it on your skin if you'd like to try Nair.