Is technology advancing too fast?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Apr 21, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It was just 4 months ago when I purchased my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Within that span, a number of new Samsung products have already hit the market - the Samsung Galaxy Mega, the Samsung Galaxy Grand, etc. Now, there are even talks of the new Samsung Galaxy Note 2. Back in the day, it took two to three years to come up with a new and better phone. Now? It takes only a few months. Is technology moving to fast?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's no such thing as too fast when it comes to technology. As long as your phone still works, you're not under any obligation to buy the new models.

It's too bad though that medicine isn't progressing as fast as technology. If it did, they would cure a new disease every 4 months.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think technology is advancing too fast. I do wish that human wisdom would expand or grow just as fast.

I love tech, but I never buy tech just to stay on top of the latest thing, but it will be quickly replace. If it enhances my life, then I will buy it.

4. lindbergh

Threads:
    But if we compare how fast they develop electronic products now as compared to how fast they developed electronic gadgets before, I'd say that today is faster. My problem though is how to suppress the urge to buy the latest trends in electronic gadgets. Maybe I have to put my money in a time deposit account so that I could not withdraw it for a long period of time.

5. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Until we don't have those portable jetpacks and flying cars, i think that technology is not going fast enough. Where is my alternative energy source which will power entire flying cities with no consequence for the environment?

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like an effort to keep getting people to extend their contracts out for another two years. I would rather they (the cell phone manufacturers) would take their time and make a more solid phone instead of churning out model after model every few months. It seems like every one of these smartphones I've had so far all had some sort of critical issue with them that takes months to get fixed, if it gets fixed at all. My Droid Bionic had a really bad data loss issue where it kept losing connection to the data network. It took them over a year to fix this.

7. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I think we are in the decade of where technology will just start advancing faster and faster. Even apple realized two different iPad in the same year(talk about fast). I feel like we are promoting impatience in people as well because everyone is getting used to the whole better, faster and stronger routine and I feel like tis could be the downfall because we might hit a block in time where we just can't satisfy everyone's needs.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that technology advances fast in the area of cellphones, computers, and tablets, but for everything else they aren't advancing that fast enough. I'm not the type that needs to be updated to the latest gadgets as soon as they come out anyway, so I don't really care much about it.

9. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    It is moving at a brisk pace but you need not get enslaved by it. I think gadgets are usually good enough to last you around 2 years before you need an upgrade. On average I change my laptop every two or three years and even then I'm not pushing it. If you don't need to keep up with the Jones' then updating every couple of years is not going to affect your productivity so don't worry too much.

10. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    I believe the continuous advancing of technology and output of new gadgets can be attributed to the competitiveness within the market. Apple is ridiculous with how quickly they will out date their products by coming out with a new and improved one. But I believe people who allow Apple to make them feel as though their product is old and they just have to get the new improved version just because it was made is even more ridiculous.

I'm happy with my HTC WildFire S phone. It's a year old and I can see myself using it until it stops working or falls apart. It does everything I need a phone to do and more. I'm happy with my Kindle Fire HD. I'm glad I waited until it was created rather than having one of the earlier boring e-readers. It does everything I want in an e-reader and more. I don't see a new version or any other tablet tempting me to replace it. I'm even happy with my Toshiba Satellite laptop for the PC that it is. The only gadget I desire to have right now is a Macbook. And not to replace my Toshiba but to supplement it. In my opinion Macbooks are better for things like creating music and editing video.

11. lindbergh

Threads:
    Companies are busy at working with technology that would generate a huge amount of revenue rather than making technology that would result in some losses. That's why I think that most companies focus more on consumer electronics because it gives them a lot of money. That's why cellphones and other gadgets are advancing at a very fast pace.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    When products get churned out that much and a new model is getting released more frequently, in my opinion, it's not really about technology moving fast, it's just about those companies' greed. Not that I blame them, if it were my company, I'd do everything in my power to earn as much as I can as well. It's not like they are doing anything illegal anyway. If anything, I think technology is moving too slow, since they are hesitant to release all they have in the fear that they will not make as much money out of it as they would if they released every gadget with one feature at a time. So if you aren't comfortable with the pace these companies are setting, then just rally up everyone and stop supporting it. The only language they understand is the monetary one, and if you demand more and want them to listen, then just stop the money stream as best you can.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that technology is advancing too quickly....maybe your example isn't the shining one, but there can be a lot of good from advancing technology. It'd be hard to be "too fast", imo.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Technology is brand spanking new and now that we know how to control our world, it's full speed ahead. It all comes down to money though... the wealthy want more wealth and compete with each other to get it, so lightning speed is the only way to stay on top. There's no point in buying the latest and greatest anymore. Not only will it be irrelevant soon, but it will be made with cheaper parts and labor.. nothing is well made anymore, all so the already rich, soak it up even more.

15. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Technology advancement is what we want to see. In 10 years, who knows what might be released. iPhone 10S? Could be. Guess we'll just have to find out.

16. Jatelo2

Jatelo2Active Member

Threads:
    I'v always had problems with the competition in the smart-phone industry. Most of the so called latest models may just add a few pixels to the camera or just additional SD card slot capacity. Nothing of real significance is added in the latest releases. Like some of the members said, I wouldn't run for a device simply because it is the latest.

17. haunderv

haundervNew Member

Threads:
    for me yes the technology is moving too fast. example the computer games.. the best games now for pc requires a highly powered pc. and the best example is the smart phones
    since the competition between those giant company they are releasing a new phones every few months leaving other phone behind lol

18. lindbergh

Threads:
    Lol. There are a lot of other enhancements than those that you have mentioned. There's the pressure sensitive screen that can detect different levels of pressure, there's a phone with a built-in projector, there's a hover feature, the Galaxy S4 has an eye movement detection, gps, some phones can even be used as a metal detector. Look back to the glory days of nokia and compare it to this very day and you'll see a big difference.

19. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I would say yes to this one. Look at the apple gadgets alone, from the regular iPhone now we have a iPhone in less than a decade! It's crazy how fast it goes really. It's seems like yesterday I was enjoying playing snakes on my Nokia 5110i, now I am enjoying apps!

20. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't think technology is advancing too fast. My problem with technology is who it aids? The technology is used to increase the exploitation of labour and increase profits for the bosses, not for the betterment of society as a whole.