Is Telling Stories Outdated?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Aug 7, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Does a family need to go out for a movie for entertainment? Not necessarily.

Since most families hardly spend enough time together [thanks to technology, social media and so on] instead of taking the family out to watch a new movie that has come out, the family could sit at the table after dinner and tell each other stories or anecdotes. Call it quality family bonding if you please. It's not only good for the family but will also help you save some good cash.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Spending time with the family and telling stories is not only a good way to save some money and be together but is also an excellent way to pass history about the family on to other members of thefamily. Our histories are lost because no one shares the stories of other members of the family and when that person has moved on and is no longer available to share the story it is gone for ever. I once new this old man, he was in his 70's when I met him, he would tell me some of the most interesting stories about growing up at the turn of the century or what is was like to be a black person in the deep south of the states and how the things we take for granted did now were not always available to everyone black or white.

Telling stories is so important we are losing too much history not only about our families but about the nations and world.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The art of telling stories is dying if it's not dead already. Thanks to technology, someone will be on the net updating their social status on sites, sharing photos, interesting links, etc, etc. We're not only losing our families in the process but we're getting sucked into the virtual world deeper and deeper until even those closest to us no longer mean anything to us. In future, parents may only know what their kids are up to from social media updates.

4. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    It's sad to say but no one ever listens to storytelling anymore. Most youngsters these days are so occupied with their smart devices, it's lucky to even get them to sit at the dinner table, what's more tell a story. People now are different from our generation where we can sit at the dinner table and talk for hours sometimes.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Telling stories is now very outdated. People would rather share or post what they're up to on their Facebook than share it face to face with their family members. I think the art of family members sharing stories is only gonna be possible if the family is a tight-knit one with every member amiable and open towards each other, since I know a few families who are like that. If someone is secretive or just quiet, then it won't work.