Is there any point in buying magazines and/or newspapers?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • May 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some magazines made money because each issue contained interviews of famous people, articles with info you couldn't find elsewhere and so on. But with blogs virtually taking over the internet, everyone can access such information, interviews and similar stuff, the added advantage is you can read all that without having to pay a dime.

I'm curious though, do any of you buy magazines or newspapers when you can get all the news you need free on the net?

2. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    That is a good question, like I said in the other post i actually collect magazines. I think your right though, with all of the blogs, youtube etc, internet, etc. there really aren't a need for magazines anymore unless your like me. I buy magazines because I just love the fill of a magazine. I like the hard cover, and I always read the articles. To me its like difference between a love letter and a love email. which would you prefer?

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nope, there's really not any use for me for magazines or newspapers any more.

I suppose they might still be good for people who do scrapbooking or don't rely on the internet heavily. They're really out-of-date nowadays, though.

4. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I used to get quite a lot of magazines when I was kid. As I started using the internet more I eventually stopped buying them. They're still kind of nice I guess and nostalgic but I have no need for them.

5. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that there no point in buying magazines anymore with everything being digital and downloading all books and magazines and even our daily newspapers on our tablets or cellphones. Time has really changed and I don't think that any paper is needed anymore the whole world would be going green in awhile.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only way it is useful to buy a magazine or newspaper anymore is for when you don't have internet access. You could download them I suppose but if you don't have your device handy then maybe you'd want to buy one.
    There is also rebate magazines apparently but good luck finding one of those.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think the only reason to buy newspapers or magazines these days is that they are more "official" and you might be able to trust their words a bit more, although since the information comes in way later than you would just finding them online, it kind of negates the advantage a bit. Also, these days, I find that these media are finding it necessary to compete with online sources, so they either just talk about it all the time or try to copy the style too much, in which case, totally defeats the purpose of choosing them over their online counterparts, in my opinion.

8. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I never actually bought a magazines as I always prefer to borrow from a friend, so I don't think I'd ever buy magazines in the future but I still buy newspaper. It's not because I can't access the Internet for news but I like using newspapers to clean my window :D I don't know why but I found it for being more effective than any other window's cleaner.

9. sully3333

sully3333Member

Threads:
    For me, I don't see any reason. Any information in a magazine or newspaper that I would be interested I can find online.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, buying them saves a lot of time. I would not have to go through searching the news. Although I know one can just subscribe, news on the newspaper is more readily laid out. It saves me from a lot of destruction from the internet. Also, I enjoy it more reading on the newspaper or magazines than on the screen. When I buy them, I feel like I own the stuff, its content. I am more satisfied.

11. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't see the point. For magazines - we have those entertainment channels and the internet.For newspapers - we have those free newspapers around the city, the news channels and of course, the internet. My family has never bought them so I don't really mind. But if we do phase them out completely, the delivery people will lose their jobs and add to the growing pool of the unemployed :(

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I certainly won't buy newspapers anymore when there is tv or the internet to inform us of what's going on. I might buy a magazine if I like what's on the cover, but not often. Over here even if we have cable and internet, my dad still buys newspapers everyday. I don't see what's the point, but it's his money anyway, so he's free to spend it in any way he likes.

13. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, I don't buy them. I used to, when I was younger, to cut pictures out and to do quizzes. The Internet was also not as big. I think the only reason why I'd go and buy a magazine would be for exclusive content that one cannot find online, or to be able to participate in a writing contest for which you need to be a member of the magazine...

This or to buy the magazine or newspaper my article/story was published in! Otherwise, I have everything I need online.

14. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I used to buy magazines at the store but not now because I'm able too look at all magazines on the internet. When it comes to newspapers I only bought those once in a while to read the classified ads or check out the performing arts section. Back then when I would buy magazines I ended up having too much of them in my old apartment laying around so then I stopped buying them.

15. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't buy them as much, but I still like to read them. Sometimes it's more relaxing and less stressful than reading on a laptop or tablet and then I can tear out pictures or recipes I like. They are good for traveling and also in waiting rooms, so they still have a place, though less so than before. Not everyone has access to computers so I do read journals in the library and i find many people do the same.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know what you mean when it comes to a feeling of ownership. I love the game Grand Theft Auto 5, so when I see a magazine with a cover or article about GTA V, I want to own the magazine, not just look at it online. But for things like recipes or celebrity gossip, I don't mind just reading it online.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be perfectly honest I have not bought a magazine or newspaper in a long time. And I don't plan on doing so anytime soon. Even when magazines and newspapers were more common I still didn't have a habit of reading and buying them. I only read them if I am sitting on a doctor's office waiting for my appointment and my phone is not charged! As that happens maybe once a year, it's very rare!
    Not only do I think it's an unnecessary expense, but I also think all of that paper being wasted is useless when you can read everything virtually nowadays.