Is your computer more of a tool or a toy?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Lostvalleyguy • May 8, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I think of my computer as a tool. I need it for work and I use it to manage a few things around the home. While I do have some games installed on the computer, I buy a computer with work in mind more than gaming. Having said that, I think i am lying to myself. I don't need a computer for work because any device that I could write and read email would do. Most of those devices would also manage many of the other tasks like banking that need to be done.

The computer gives me a bigger screen for watching TV shows and movies now. I can play games on the computer on wet winter days. I can use social media to communicate with friends and so many other things. The problem is that these things are all superfluous. I don't NEED to be doing any of them.

While I initially think I am buying a computer as it is needed for work, I am beginning to realize that it is more of an entertainment device. Is your computer at home a tool or a toy? Think about it you much also have fallen into self delusion like myself.

2. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    It's both depending on who you are. If you're someone who uses it to run their business, then it's a tool, a very valuable one at that. Or you could be a gamer who uses it to get the best FPS they can. It's funny really, sometimes I have to remind people that their phones or computers can serve as calculators, and that's the whole reason they were invented in the first place. Nonetheless, it's anything you want it to be, and that's what makes them so great.

3. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    Both my computer and my tablet are my tools for working. I'm working from home and I have a young baby so I would use my laptop for working in a day time and switch to my tablet in a night time as I don't want to have too many lights in the room while my family is already sleeping.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I work as an online freelance writer so my computer is a tool. The only time I use it for entertainment is when am taking a break from all the work and just relax for a while before getting back to work. I have a brother who uses it solely for entertainment if you ask him several things about it he will not be able to tell you anything.

5. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    It both a toy and a tool for me. I use my computer as a ways to make a living so its a really important tool for me, as a toy, yes, I play a lot of video games in my computer and I love watching movies in it and surfing the web, it's my main source of entertainment.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My computer is a tool. In fact, it's my most valuable tool that I use in business. I do play games and stream movies on my computer, but that accounts for a tiny fraction of my computer time. And I often work while streaming movies.

I consider tablets to be more of an entertainment device. That's the main reason why I haven't invested in one.

7. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I like to see mine as more of a tool. Toy sounds kind of too cheap and non serious even though I use it to play games and have fun. It's always been an important tool but I don't always use it to it's full potential. I sort of used it like a toy long ago however but now it's more important for me to be productive.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I have a laptop and I use it equally for work and leisure. I tend not to install any video games or other weighty programs just for fun, though, so I'd say I still prioritize work on it more than for playing. I already have a console and a tablet for games and browsing online anyway, so I mostly just go to my laptop whenever I need to do work related things, but I also do still prefer to browse sites on it because I'm still much more used to it than a tablet or phone.

9. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use my desktop the same way. I will play a game on it when I have time but I always try to make sure I get work done first before I play. I do have plenty of consoles to play on anyway. It's just nice once in a while because the computer will give me more variety for free.

10. sully3333

sully3333Member

Threads:
    Technically, it's a tool because I use it for all of my school work. However, I spend a lot more time using it as a toy, whether I'm making music, browsing forums, or playing games.

11. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Several years back I used my computer solely for my entertainment — playing games, reading books, etc. However it got to a point where I lost interest in games so these days I only turn on my computer if I have some work to do. Technically, because of that, my computer right now is a tool that helps me with a lot of things. Calculate stuff, communicate with friends, find an odd job on the net, etc.

12. pklatonja

pklatonjaNew Member

Threads:
    It used to be a toy, it used to be a point of admiration for me. I would buy the newest and the best gear, graphic cards, I would all day read about the new and upcoming components, and I would play games all day pushing my PC to the limits. But as I got into business of photography and videography it simply became a tool, as everything else, as my camera. I use it for different types of work, and that's all there is to it.

13. ebby23

ebby23Member

Threads:
    My computer is use for both a tool and a toy. I only have one laptop which I uses for mostly business. However, I also use it for personal reasons as well, such as surfing the web, playing games, and watching movies. I wish I had a computer just for business purposes but for now, I have to manage with the one I have.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both! Why would it need to be either one or the other? Right now at the same time I'm watching a tv show and just seen something cool on Youtube, I'm writing to make some money! I also do several presentations, excel sheets for work, researches.... I do everything with my computer, I would say I use it 50% as a "toy", 50% as a tool.

15. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Looking at all the things I do on my PC - gaming, working, learning, communicating - I'd say it's more of a tool. When I first started I played games all day and nothing more but things have changed since then and now I use it mostly for work - writing, editing and updating my websites. I could say that my PC is an amazing all in one cheap tool that my life revolves around ;)

16. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    My computer is a tool of pleasure. I play games, watch movies and any learning I do is purely for pleasure/stuff I'm interested in.

17. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    My computer is a tool. It is so much of a tool that i can go as far as to say that without my computer i would not actually be able to eat and pretty much my life would fall apart. I use my computer for just about any and everything in life and so i find it to be an asset and it really does a lot for me.

18. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Pretty much every profession in today's work force requires at least a basic knowledge of how to get around on the internet/e-mail and use a computer. So in that sense, a computer is a work tool for everyone!

For me, it's both. I've pretty much dedicated my future career as a sports writer to operating on the internet. I need it for social networking with my articles, writing my articles, researching my topics, trying to find writing work, etc. So my computer is the tool of my trade and a means for entertainment for me.

19. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Since I rarely use my computer for gaming or for any form of entertainment, I consider it more of a tool than a toy. Before when I was a kid, I use it as a toy. But when I grew up and I realized how I really could benefit from it, I used it the ways I would be able to gain a lot from it, and that is using it to help in my job and studies. It's a study material and commodity, an not a mere toy.