Isn't It Unhealthy & Immature to "Eat Dessert First"?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by mythman • Jun 12, 2014.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I felt I had to mention this because the

(a city-newspaper given to restaurant-customers for free ... paid for by restaurants, advertisers, charitable businessmen, American soldiers, Santa Claus ...) parroted the false philosophy "life is short; eat dessert first."

(Maybe the philosophy would be truer if it went 'life is short because you eat dessert first!' :( )

I know that the OKG only featured that headline because their weekly 'restaurant round-up' (in which they briefly describe several restaurants following a theme---themes like 'vegetarian,' 'asian,' 'vegan' etc.) was on a 'dessert' theme that week. Like I said, I just want to clarify that the truth is that life is made shorter when you eat dessert first (as it fills you before you can feed on foods with the nutrients your body needs to live longer).

2. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    I see what you are saying, however it's not accurate. I dont eat dessert first usually, but what you said makes little sense to me. If you eat dessert first and finish the meal you intended on eating, what's the difference? If you eat he food, you eat the food. Your body doesnt track the order that you choose to eat in.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    IF you eat it all. If you are full before you eat everything, what you eat first will be ALL you eat.

4. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It depends how big the dessert helping is though, doesn't it? I've never had a dessert in a restaruent that I couldn't finish. I don't understand why people feel the need to scare and sensationalise food, if I want to enjoy my life by eating my dessert first then who am I hurting? We have a newspaper here in the UK called The Daily Mail and every day they print an article about a food substance that can give you cancer.

5. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    Ugh, that thing! From what little I've seen and heard of The Daily Mail, it's so full of hate that I just can't stand to read it. No offense meant to those who enjoy it, but I just see a lot of negativity and it drives me away. For example, when they speak of Billie Piper, a singer and actress, they don't reference any of her more recent roles, like Rose Tyler, or The Moment, from Doctor Who, they reference Secret Diary of a Call Girl which pretty much sums up their views on her in a nutshell.

Anyway, I eat desert usually after a meal but sometimes, on rare occasions, together with the meal. That way, I have a little of everything.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I see nothing wrong with eating desert first, I have often eaten my desert maybe not the whole thing but if I wanted to taste my desert I am not going to make myself want until I have eaten all the other food. It is all going to the same place. So I enjoy what I want when I want it.

7. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    People can choose what they want to do but for me, dessert has never been important at all in my life. I eat what I want to eat when I'm hungry to be honest.

8. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    That's the best way to be, I think. And why does dessert have to be unhealthy? Why can't we have a cup of fresh fruit with a little whipped cream on top and call it dessert? When we hear the word dessert, we always tend to think of cake or something, a sugary baked good, but there are plenty of sweet things that can be good for you, like strawberries, if you're not allergic.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Maybe it is immature to eat dessert first but I do it anyway when I feel like it. There are a million reasons why being an adult is very hard and not fun. One of the few fun parts about being a grownup is eating what you want. So if I want a cookie before dinner, I'll have a cookie.

10. Ruffled

RuffledNew Member

Threads:
    If you do it right then the main meal is going to have more nutrients than the dessert. If you want to make sure you eat healthy, the main course comes first. That's the way I look at it.

11. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah being an adult sucks. Technically you can't really eat what you want because as you get older your digestive system doesn't work like it used to but it's all about moderation. One snack before dinner is not going to hurt.

12. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    It's not a big if. How hard is it to finish the food on your plate? How much dessert are you shoving down your hole?

What you said makes perfect sense to unhealthy people with poor eating habits. There, are you happy now?

13. samoosh

samooshNew Member

Threads:
    My great grandad ate his dessert before his meal every day and lived to a ripe old age. Apparently he used to say that it was so he never ran out of room for his pudding. Probably unhealthy, yes, but what's life without small pleasures?

14. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about immaturity, but if I eat a dessert it usually fills me completely and I don't have room for anything else for a few hours. I think the best policy is perhaps to make a decision beforehand whether you want a meal or a dessert. :) If you can have both without any adverse effects, then I would say go for it and enjoy your food in which ever order it pleases you.

15. Nickchick

Threads:
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. If we're going to always worry about what's healthy for us, then that's going to make life very much a drag.

16. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    When you eat high quality foods, you are eating the best tasting foods. All of those low quality desserts, fast foods,etc.. It all tastes like garbage. Compare that to the meals I prepare with fresh foods and you would not even think about dessert. My food tastes better then your desserts.

Unhealthy people dont do much in life. Its a personal choice, if you really want to become somebody in this world - be healthy.

17. Nickchick

Threads:
    It depends on what you consider high quality. I say you haven't lived until you ate pizza from Jerry's. You're right though, it's a personal choice but it's also a personal preference. The thing is though yes it's important to be healthy but as I said before it's all about moderation. It would make life a drag because technically almost everything we do is a risk to our health. This is not exclusive to foods.

18. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I don't really see anything wrong with it. I don't often eat dessert before dinner but I could understand why someone else would want to. I don't see how it could be unhealthy considering you're still eating dessert whether you eat it before or after you eat dinner. And I don't at all see how it could be immature.

19. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's unhealthy because you body is always 'building your body' and you want to have a steady base on which to build the sturdy frame and want to save the sparkley decorations for the top!

20. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    It is quite unhealthy to eat dessert at all, but I like to mix things up. Life is short, that is very true, and as I do not eat dessert first anymore, sometimes I let my kids. I remember when I was a kid, I used to eat dessert for breakfast once in a while. It never hurt me, I loved it. I want to give my kids good experiences so I have let them eat dessert first or dessert only without any other food. It's only happened a couple times, but they loved it and they will have a fond memory of it when they get older. We need to keep positive memories alive within us.
    I don't really see the difference in eating dessert first or last. You'll still be eating it, regardless. In my house, we usually do not have dessert after a meal, so when we do get dessert it is a treat.