Items for self defense

Discussion in Misc & Others started by lindbergh • Sep 4, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Me and my family are only renting a house. The landlord is a drunk and a violent person. He keeps on trying to get advance rent from us until we got tired of his antics and decided just to stay until December. A while ago (about 11:30pm in my place), I heard a knock on the door. I knew it was him. I don't know what his motives are so I didn't open the door. I want to get items that would allow me and my family to defend ourselves from this freak if ever he does something not good. Any ideas?

2. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    First and foremost, try to check out which weapons are okay to use in a household for defensive purposes in your country to avoid any unlawful and unnecessary circumstances if you had to use it because sometimes even if you are in the position of defending yourself, if you use weapons that need paperwork and not to be specifically use as a defensive weapon, you might get in more trouble.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A baseball bat or an "arnis" are some good items to use to be able to scare someone to back off. Mace, pepper spray and tazers are also suitable items that can scare away people. You guys own a gun right? You can definitely use that when he gets crazy.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Amazon.com sells big canisters of pepper spray that are the same brand that is used by law enforcement. I would go with one of those because other weapons are usually illegal unless you have papers for them.

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with a bad landlord. I know what that's like.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    that depends on where the op is.. here, pepper spray is illegal too.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Your best weapon just might be your cell phone...call the police! Tell them that you are not sure who it is and you are scared. They'll take care of it from there.;)

You may also want to look into tenant rights. I know that here in the US, tenants have a ton of rights that most renters are not aware of. You can also look at your lease/rental agreement, it may have stipulations as to landlord visitations that he may be violating. I would get several cans of pepper spray and try to move out of there as quickly as possible...this guy sounds like major trouble.

7. Tribie

TribieMember

Threads:
    Mix chili peppers and vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it in his face if he does something bad. Have it really accessible. Try to get something that will hurt him but won't kill him. I do not think you would want to kill a person. A cane can cause enough pain if you hit hard enough. A taser gun would be good.

8. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A baseball bat is my number one choice for a weapon

9. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    You need to put another lock on the door, something like a chain or one of those safety locks like in a hotel that doesn't use a key, but makes it difficult to open the door. Next, depending on what kind of windows you have, there are some safety locks you can use there as well.

You also need to find out if there is a tenant's association in your city; they may be able to help you relocate sooner. Also, check with social services to see what you can legally do to document the landlord's violent behavior and protect yourself. Opting for the use of weapons, even in self-defense, may get you into serious trouble.