Items Marked "manager's Special"

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • May 8, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to see things marked "manager's special," and it simply meant that a certain product was on offer for a limited time at a good price. These were generally some pretty good values.

Now, it seems like that little sticker finds its way onto a lot of packages that should really say, "reduced for quick sale." I don't think the two should be used interchangeably, do you?

Oh, well, I guess I know what to watch out for now.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never really thought about it, but I guess if the store wanted the item gone it should say reduced for quick sale. That statement would make me stop and look faster than manager special.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I see a sticker that says reduced for quick sale, I tend to think that the item is time-sensitive, and is going bad, so it could be a negative connotation, although I realize it could simply mean the store is looking to clear the shelves for new inventory. Manager's special, to me, means it's a special deal and is only available for a limited time, so get it before they fly off the shelves. I know that's not always the case, but I think that using the word 'special' does sometimes tick a box in our brains that might cause us to take a second look.

4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    At my grocery store Manager's Special means that the store is trying to get rid of the rest of the stock of an item. When it is placed on perishable food, that means they are trying to sell it before it goes bad. I like to look for these items at the store because it simply means that the item needs to get sold soon, but it is perfectly good to eat.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes when I see that I just assume their gun ran out of the correct stickers. It's pretty easy to decipher what's a deal & what isn't when you've been shopping as often as I have been

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't usually look at these, but often they are specials due to overstocks. I'm not sure how genuine they are, but it depends on the store and how they price things. I think because there are so many 'bogus' specials people get skeptical when they see the signs an only savvy and regular shoppers would know if it was a real bargain or not.