Jessi Moves Again - Part 3 - Security Deposits

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Jessi • May 4, 2014.

1. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If you don't know the series, here's the backstory:

Ugh, one of the biggest pains of moving is having to come up with the cash to transfer utility accounts and open up new accounts that require security deposits.

While I fully expect to get at least the bulk of my security deposit from my current apartment, I have to put down a large amount for my next apartment first. There's no way I can cut that one in particular down, I don't think, but are there any tips to cutting down the costs of transferring utilities?

A friend told me that some electric companies will do background checks that show that you've had electricity before and that will help eliminate the deposits. Any other tips?

#1May 4, 2014
    Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    OMG - deposits are awful. They get SO expensive. Not only do you need the first month's rent and a deposit for your new place, but you also need deposits for all of your utility providers. NOT fun and NOT affordable.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    The one for my apartment itself was 2.5x the amount of my monthly rent! And considering my new rent is already $500 more than my current one (which previously included some of the utilities, too), this really stung. Plus they had an amenity fee, fire inspection fee, and the rental app fee. o_O

The only good news I have found so far is that my electricity isn't going to require me to put down a deposit. ><

4. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I bet that is rough! That's really steep!

That's great that your utility company isn't requiring a deposit. Mine required a very high deposit, actually, even though I brought in a letter from my previous provider showing that I've always paid my bills on time.