Job offer scams!!

Discussion in Scams = To Good To Be True started by sarz • Mar 13, 2014.

1. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Beware of emails offering over the odds for office, admin, retail and bar work.
    The email is a job offer congratulating you on being successful in whichever position. The job is always paying between 11 and 25 pounds/dollars etc and hour.

Then somewhere towards the end they ask you for a payments of 30 or 60 pounds, a small investment to carry out a CRB check. (Bare in my mind they are not necessary for the position advertised). They go on to explain that even if you have on the law has changed and it will no longer be valid.
    Finally comes the reassurance- the payment can be made via ukash for safety. Just go to any paypoint, make payment and then send them the ukash number.

Scam Scam Scam
    General rule if it sounds to good tobe true it probably is.
    Do not pay give bank details or make any sort of payment in relation to job offers received by email, phone or mail.
    Check they are a registered business

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Scammers seem to be on the warpath again. There was a lull . . . a few years back, these scammers had a number of data entry/virtual assistant + transcription work sites that demanded an upfront fee to access a database of jobs. Apparently, those who were targeted learned the truth and avoided the bastards forcing them to get off the web and launch an email campaign? Man, I wish some of us could be as persistent as some of those guys?

3. Jennyflower81

Jennyflower81New Member

Threads:
    I agree. I have had several scam emails lately. I also have received emails that are fishing for my information, and they are so obviously not professional. You can notice incorrect grammar or misspelled words in their emails. They will ask you to update your account or require you to enter personal information.

I almost fell for a scam of a job online. A girl hired me to post on Craig's List. She told me to post pictures of vacation homes for rent, and she sent me all of the pictures for the homes, and the information. After some careful thought, I decided to not do this job. I had a bad feeling about it, and my instinct told me that it was a scam. They prey on people who are desperate for money to use their Craig's List account to help them scam people, and the scammers are taking advantage of poor people who need work.

4. fruii29

fruii29Member

Threads:
    I haven't been scammed with such kind. What I normally do to check if a job opportunity is legitimate, I check and see review about the site and about the job descriptions. If I see at least five negative feedback about the page, most likely it is fake, so I won't continue applying. More so, if it will ask me to pay an amount, most often than not, it is a scam. We really need to be careful about this kind of scams.

5. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    It is extremely imperative that a person checks that a company is confirmed through the Better Business Bureau. That will save you loads of time in wondering whether it really is a valid company or whether it is a scam. Another way to confirm that a company is legitimate, is if you look online for any reviews. If they are reputable then they will more than likely have a knowledgeable group of customers that exist online. Especially if they got in touch with you through an online setting. I hope that people would know also, NEVER give out any bank or personal information to anyone who you do not personally know. Beware of scammers!

6. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    Basically, if someone emailed me without knowing my name, I mark it as junk and trash it. I would only take things seriously if they addressed me by my name instead of "Sir" or "Madam". Also, any job offer site or email that asks for a fee, will also be marked as Junk and trashed. So far, I've had successful online jobs and they're free to sign up, with some form of skill checking process.

There are transcription jobs that are offered on Craigslist and they hide behind a professional interface, but ultimately, what I found out is that they ask you to transcribe a bunch of voice segments and submit your application. In this process, I tested to see if they were all the same and found out it's different every single time you apply. I tried it with six different emails over four different IP's and they never got back to me with any response. I figured that someone probably used these transcriptions themselves, through the work of others.

7. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    If they pay is a lot for a job that seems to be easy to be done, then probably it is a scam. Also if you are asked to pay for a program is one way to easily identify a scam that people easily fall for. I have seen how people end up being scammed for a lot of money for stupid money making programs.