Juicing!

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Francy • Sep 5, 2014.

1. Francy

FrancyMember

Threads:
    I was gifted a Juicer and am very excited to start using it! Does anyone else have any good juicing recipes, or are you an avid juicer and can speak of the benefits. I would like to do some sort of cleanse, whether it be three days or more. I have done some juicing (just kind of made up my own recipes) and it was so delicious. The benefits have to be tremendous as well, I would have to agree!

I figure it this way.....I can juice several carrots, a cucumber, an Apple and maybe some kale or something. Do you know how long it would take me to eat all that? Quite a bit of time! I am excited that I can just drink this and receive all of the benefits from a glass! Like I said before, if you have any recipes or tips, I'd love to hear them!

Also wondering....what do you do with the remains? I've heard that you can save the remains and it works as a great fertilizer in your flower garden or vegetable garden. Has anyone use this as an option? Thanks in advance!

2. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also received a used manual juicer from my sister and was wondering what to juice aside from fruits. I've read somewhere that juicing vegetables mixed with some fruits is a delicious way to lose weight and so I'm really interested in trying it too.

Anyway, as for the remains or the pulp, my sister use some of it as an added ingredient in handmade soaps (one of her hobbies). She just throws the rest in a mini-compost pit in her backyard. :D

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to have the Jack LaLane juicer, but grew tired of it quickly personally. There are some pros and cons of juicing.

The first thing I would warn you about, especially if your juicer is made up of mostly plastic parts and they happen to be white or clear - certain items such as beets and carrots will stain them crap out of them. I've heard some people suggest spraying the parts with some vegetable oil first to help prevent this. My Jack LaLane juicer started staining almost immediately - in hindsight I wished I had purchased the black or stainless steel model instead.

The other thing to consider is the costs of juicing. It sounds healthy and all, but you often need a lot of one item just to make a glass of juice. You can go through a bag of apples pretty quickly for a few glasses of juice. Spinach and Kale may sound great to include, but are you prepared to be buying them in large quantities now fresh? This all adds up pretty quickly, especially if you don't live near a farmers market to get them cheaper.

There is also a lot of prep work to peel and chop everything down to the right size before you add it in to the device.

I kept my juices pretty simple, playing around with a blend of orange and grapefruit juice, since I love both of them. Apple juice will turn brown pretty quickly and look more like cider, but it will still taste great. Other items like berries were just too expensive to be buying to make a glass of juice.

4. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I've been juicing on and off for a few years. I always use cucumbers and apples or pears as the base of the juice because they add sweetness and cut the bitterness from some of the vegetables. Cucumbers are pretty inexpensive and they are great for your skin, nails and hair. Always go for fruits and vegetables that are in season because those will be the least expensive. As for what to do with the leftover pulp, you can add it to smoothies or you use it to make muffins, breads and cookies. Some people add it to soups or use it in their veggie burger mix. I even saw one person on Pinterest who used the pulp to make dog treats.

5. johnlena112

johnlena112New Member

Threads:
    At Reboot, we think the easiest and fastest way to increase your fruit and veggie intake is by consuming fresh fruit and vegetable juices. It’s as simple as that. Think about it. Would you be able to eat 8 whole kale leaves, 1 large cucumber, 2 apples, a lemon and a large handful of spinach in one sitting? Probably not, but you can drink all of it at once! Learn more about the benefits of juicing.

6. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    When I first got my juicer I stuffed piece of Oranges in it straight away and made myself a good orange juice. This is when I realised how much better 'proper' orange juice tasted compared to the cartons that you buy at supermarkets. I have never bought another one of those 'orange juice' ever again haha. The fresh juices you make yourself are also guaranteed to be free of anything harmful.