Junk drawer riches?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by artifactsofmars • Jul 7, 2012.

1. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:

In this story by ABC news, they go through the miscellaneous junk in a person's home and sort through CD's, tapes, instruction manuals and anything that might bring in money. The result was hundreds of dollars from old junk. It is amazing what you can find accumulating in an old drawer....

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have been wanting to clean out some old junk. Now I have a really good reason to do it soon and I could really use some extra money right about now. Thanks for the post!

3. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Ok, so where do you sell this kind of stuff that's in your junk drawer and who is interested in that? I would love to sell my junk in my drawers and boxes. A nice piece of change I suppose. I know I have so much stuff in drawers until I know if I take the time to go through them I may find something worth selling.

#3Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  4. artifactsofmars

artifactsofmarsMember

Threads:
    Internet auction sites are the logical choice for this. Ebay is the high end choice, then there is Craigslist (which does not like my phone), Yardsellr and a few others. You could also obviously organize just a regular yard sale but don't expect much money from it. I used to sell some on Ebay but no one seems to be buying nowadays.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Although it wasn't actually junk, we had a nice surprise when we were downsizing and my husband put a replica steam engine on Ebay. We expected around £50 for it, but a friend advised us to put a reserve of £200 on it. It sold for over £400 (around $600).

Another surprise was empty wooden boxes. My husband wanted to throw them out, but I sold them at yard sales for various amounts. It wasn't a fortune, but it was literally money for nothing.

6. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    You're so right about what we all have and just throw it out for junk. Now I will start acting like that's money I can put in my pocket. What a wonderful day that will be to have that extra change in my pocket instead of the landfill. A lot of people can do this and we can all have a clean place to live. Another man's junk is another man's treasure as is always said.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't really done the Ebay thing before, but I think I might get started on it because I'm combing through my stuff and finding alot of things I can get rid of.

8. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I have a lot of stuff that I am trying to get organized so I can sell it. But the heat has been so hot here until I have to wait for some cooler day. No air conditioner means this old lady has to take it easy before she passes out. But in the meantime I am kind of getting boxes together so I can sell everything I don't want and put that extra cash back in my pocket.

9. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Note, the way to cash in on junk nowadays is via eBay. However, I'm sure it's not as easy as it seems. Note, if one person is selling so-called junk, then you know there are thousands of others. In that case, there may not be enough buyers.

As a result, I must conclude that getting rid of old stuff can be a way to save money, but it isn't a sure fire thing. Does anyone know of any simple tips to get your junk noticed by the perhaps limited buying pool?

10. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    Some people sell their collectible or vintage items in specialty or antique shops and they get a decent amount for it, depending on the value of the item. So I think that's a better route to go so that you can have your items appraised properly as well instead of just selling them on Ebay.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have sold our things too from 3 generations of living. We have Pickers like American Pickers who come to your home and buy things they are interested in reselling. We have auctions where people have put their antiques for sale there too. I have seen those ads where you can put in your name and see if you're left money. My Mother was the one who had money coming to her, me nothing, lol. It is nice to sell your old things and get some cash! We had a family run store that was open for more than 2 decades and accumulated lots of silver. Remember silver went sky high, well we made good money from it too. Now we have Beam collection ceramics to sell, hopefully the current Picker who bought some will buy the 35 or 40 Beam bottles we still have taking up room. Definitely sell your things like some people here have at garage sale or to Pickers, you just never know what brings you money.

12. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    That was a lucky junk drawer go through if I am lucky enough to find something worth something in my drawers I think it would only be a few cents. I really don't keep junk in my drawers too long as I am always cleaning it out. My aunt on the other hand likes to collect old thinks and maybe if I told her to clean them out she might find something valuable.