Just Scored A Super Cheap Thanksgiving Turkey (And A Ham As Well)

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ohiotom76 • Nov 13, 2012.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A local discount grocery store is running a really good deal on Thanksgiving Turkeys, only 30 cents per pound if you spend $25 or more. We just got a 15 lb bird for about $4.50! lol, the jars of pre-made gravy cost more than that. While we were there, they were also selling large hams for about $5 too. Shoot, if I had more freezer space, I would have bought a few more of these at that price.

It was kind of funny, because I was just looking at a bone in skin on turkey breast at another grocery store, that cost $26. And it wasn't even a full turkey.

2. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I know. I always wish I had extra freezer and pantry space this time of year. I'd love to get an extra turkey and ham at the discount prices. Our store is also having a really good deal on canned vegetables and some other staples.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Holy cow that's cheap! I'm so jealous! If I got it that cheap, I would buy several of them. That's exactly what I did last year when I got them for $.69 a pound and I thought *that* was a great price. I bought up 5 turkeys and used some of them for dog food throughout the upcoming months. It was much cheaper than other meats.

4. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Wow, that's great. I do not eat turkey, but my family does and that price is dirt cheap. The cheapest turkey I have seen in my area is $20 and up.

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could find a turkey for that price! I noticed at one store they are $1.98/lb and the organic ones are going for around $50 a piece. I am checking around at other stores and hope to get one this weekend for a much better price. Safeway has a commercial running that they will give you a free Safeway frozen turkey if you spend $150 there. I may have to reconsider shopping at Safeway. I could easily spend $150 if I combine the Thanksgiving shopping with my other groceries that we need to get by on for the next few weeks.

6. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! What a lucky dog to be getting home made food! :)
    $0.69/pound is still a great deal! If I had a freezer that could store all that, I would buy several, as well - even small ones to make for nice dinners (but not Thanksgiving dinners). There's so many ways to cook and use a bird like that. Looks like all I'll be having this year in my fridge are some turkey leftovers! I wonder if I can still find a deal that has turkeys under $0.50/pound with Thanksgiving being only a week away.

7. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    My mom managed to score a 21lb turkey for 8 bucks recently and she only spent 60 overall for all the Thanksgiving fixings - six boxes of cake mix, the turkey, the ham, two dozen eggs, a six pack of cornbread, two boxes of scalloped potatoes, etc and so forth. It was a good haul and mother is very chuffed about the whole thing.

8. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    $60 for all of that? She will probably be able to feed so many people with all of that food. Thanksgiving - and the holiday season, in general - is really a great time to stock up on things like cake mix. Everything is on sale, but the shelf life is pretty good. I remember last Christmas, I got a ton of seasonal cookie mix - and it was nice to go into January and February with a reminder of Christmas. Time flies, but I think sometimes, food can bring you back a little.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Wow! That's a great special going on. What chain grocery store was it? At under $5 that's the deal of the year. Happy early Thanksgiving.