Keep Spiders Away

Discussion in Home & Garden started by steph84 • Jul 19, 2012.

1. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I just learned from a friend that spiders hate peppermint. I mix about 8 drops of peppermint oil into a spray bottle with water and spray it in the corners, in my closet and behind my Blinds. I sprayed it around my back door and saw spiders running away from my house.

2. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    Cool, thank you for the tip! I will have to try this! :D

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I did not know that spiders also did not like the smell of peppermint. We use it to repel rodents. We had a mouse in the house...placed some cotton-wool balls with some peppermint essential oil on...in the four corners and the little mouse ran out at super-speed! Unreal. Peppermint has been my new best friend since. Also, ants do not like it apparently.

Thanks for this heads up (-:..!

4. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    WOW!!! I absolutely have to say this is my favorite post on the entire board!!! I am petrified of spiders and live alone...not a great combination LOL I have actually called friends or neighbors to kill the random spider in the tub just so I could shower! And here on the Eastern Shore ants are so common in the houses and hard to control...so I have to go out to the store for some peppermint! Thank you for sharing this tip.

5. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I have had loads of spiders in the house just lately, no idea why but I do not like them! Thank you for the tip, I haven't heard it before but peppermint oil is definitely on my shopping list for this week. Like another poster, I have read about peppermint being used to repel mice, but never anything else. It smells nice too so worth a shot!

6. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the tip I have spiders in my home. I've tried bug spray from the grocery store, but I had limited success. I will try this method and see if it works for me. How long will this repel the spiders? Do you think I would have to do that at least once a day?

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of peppermint oil on cotton balls to repel mice but not spiders. It is good to know that it works on both of them. We usually keep a few of the cotton balls around various, out of the way places inside the house and garage. We just add a few drops of the oil about once a week. So far it seems to be working really well. We live next to a really large field and there are a lot of mice running around in it. I am hoping that when fall weather arrives, the cotton balls and peppermint oil will continue to keep them both from coming inside our house.

8. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    So that really works. Thanks so much for that tip. It is also an easier way of getting rid of them. I usually wash in the corners and kill all the cobwebs so they do not reproduce. I mostly get daddy long leg spiders which do not but I do see a few others but not alot. I am going to try the peppermint drops. Thanks so much for the tip.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I'm not sure about spiders hating peppermint as they don't posses lungs to actually breath the stuff in in the first place. That's right people, Spiders don't have lungs. They absorb oxygen through their skin. Removing cobwebs is a temporary fix as they make brand -new cobwebs every day. It's no big deal to them.

I have a pet tarantula and I've had to turn his tub away while I write this because he would be pretty appauled and probably not speak to me anymore if he knew I was involved in such a conversation.:p

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I hate peppermint so that wouldn't work for me. If you want to get rid of bugs altogether, get a cat(s) because we have one and he is a scavenger. Also, I've read the best way to keep bugs out of your house entirely is to clean up the corners of your house, like in the spot between the stove and the counter.

11. LiquidatorBrunt

LiquidatorBruntMember

Threads:
    This is a great tip. It solves the spider problem without hurting the spiders and without using any questionable chemicals inside the house. Does growing a peppermint plant have the same effect? I do see the occasional spider crawling on my house plants. I had no real desire to grow mint, but if it will deter the spiders I'd give it a try.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This has been some great information. I just scoped up a bigger than I would like hairy spider and threw him out side. We cleaned the garage of spider webs this weekend so I will be looking for some peppermint oil this weekend. My daughter is afraid of spiders, I just don't like the one that might bite you.

13. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Just an observation... If you got rid of all the spiders, how are you dealing with the bugs that would normally be eaten? Most people don't realize this but spiders are the main thing that keeps people's homes from becoming a habitat. Does the peppermint get rid of all of the other insects and arachnids as well?

14. Spudfyre

SpudfyreNew Member

Threads:
    Usually if you have spiders, there is something else attracting them. The one off spider that came in for a cool spot is a pest, but if spiders are common sights it usually indicates a much larger insect issue. Having said that, vacuming out our cold air and heat ducts greatly reduced our pest issue. We used a shop vac and an extension hose and ran it down every vent. The heat and air conditioner worked way better too! Whatever you do, never use mothballs - these are quite hazardous to humans and animals.

15. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    Well, what do you know? I just did a quick search on this, and it appears you are right, steph. Spiders hate peppermint. Lately, because of the heat, I've been seeing more and more spiders in my house, too. So I am going to have to get me some peppermint oil.

How often do you spray to keep them away?

16. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    Oh thank you so much for this post. All summer long I have been chasing spiders with the vacuum. I am terrified of them and wished there was a way to keep them out of my home. I love the smell of peppermint and I will try your approach and see how it goes. Thanks again :)