Keep Track Of Money

Discussion in Mobile Apps & Games started by DanielleDavidson • Apr 19, 2016.

1. DanielleDavidson

DanielleDavidsonNew Member

Threads:
    So, I'm all about saving money. But who isn't nowadays? Anyways, what is the best app that can help keep track of the money that I'm spending? I have heard that Mint is a pretty good app, but has anyone actually used that? Sometimes I think that just because an app looks nice it gets a lot of praise even if it doesn't work as well as another app. So, what one is the best?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't use apps to track money. I don't really have enough income to worry about at this point. I just do the best I can with what I have. This is the way I can get some of the bills covered that I have managed to generate. If I start making more money I will worry about tracking it. It could be helpful.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I also do not use an app to track money. I have personally found a very simple Excel spreadsheet to be the easiest and most efficient money-tracker for my needs.

(That said, I've only heard positive things about Mint.)

Many online banks have their own form of budgeting software, that allows users to set up and see graphs of how their money is spent. In fact, my bank, USAA, does it automatically. You can choose from a drop-down menu of categories and categorize EVERY TRANSACTION throughout the month, including credit card spending. It also auto-categorizes many common purchases for you, like groceries and gas.

Because it is there, we use it, but I don't check in with it, ever.

I've found that the only category I'm interested in heavily watching is my grocery budget, because it is the most fluctuating and controllable when it comes to trying to save money. I keep my receipts and enter them weekly in an Excel Spreadsheet, which I've customized to track my savings in coupons, compound my overall spending, break down my weekly average, and track my weekly savings. I've been doing it for over 6 years and each year a new sheet is added so I can even compare year to year.

4. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm so terrible in managing my expenses or savings in general so thanks for the suggestions here. I hope it will help me get a clearer idea on how i spend my money and what needs to be done to save some cash.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't feel as though I really need an app to keep track of everything that I am spending. I have an app for my online banking account, and I will just keep a careful eye on that, as it shows me what I have going in and out. I don't really waste very much money at all, and I do tend to be very very careful about it.

6. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used an app for tracking my money saving. Sometimes I write down in my diary only the important ones which I tend to forget. I used to write down but now I have stopped that too. :)

7. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    There are so many mobile apps for money or financial undertakings. I have come across with MoneyControl app for mobile phone. This is from India's leading financial info source. Here you can track your day-to-day expenses.

I haven't tried it yet but when regards to my financial management I do discipline myself and see to it that I spend not more than of what I earn to avoid financial problem in the future.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried to use a couple of the money tracker apps out there, but ended up finding out that it is easier to do with good old fashioned pen and paper. With the apps, you have to set up the categories and then enter in all of the data for your expenses as well as your income. This was very time consuming for me to do and hand writing it all is much quicker.

9. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I've downloaded and tried a few money management apps and though they can be useful, I prefer to use my Excel budget spreadsheet which not only allows me to track my actual expenses vs. budget but also lets me generate related reports such as a personal profit and loss statement, projected payments, and a financial position statement as of any given time. Best of all, because I'm using my laptop, I can literally and figuratively see things in a bigger perspective vs. a mobile app.

Whether you have surplus or little money, tracking your financial position gives you a means to control your financial life and plan ahead. If a mobile app can help and inspire you, go for it.

10. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used an app to track my finacial transactions. I just kee a rough estimate ans spend wisely. I don't really keep track of how much I spend to the cents level.

I am careful enough to make wise choices when it comes to spending so that I don't regret later.

11. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Hmm... this seems a convenient way of keeping a track of your financial status.

Though, I try to follow a budget but that has always been without a technological intervention. If there is any app which could efficiently count the cash I'm spending, would be eager to install it. This can off load my burden of keeping a track on my spending behavior.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    These are the apps that I just do not feel that most people need. If you can just do a pen and paper you would be fine or even just utilize some common sense. I am sure there are times when it helps, but I just cannot see it.

13. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I make use of a program called Walnut. The app is really good for tracking the expenses. I don't know if it supports all of the currencies. But currently it can be really good option for those who are tracking every expense on their part. It can work both manual and automated. It just takes some good effort to work with it.

14. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I don't use an app for saving money, I'm using a monthly budget that helps us to save money, it is true we don't save a big sum but it is something. Budgeting monthly is a better option because you can track all your expenses and never forget to pay a bill or a loan!

15. anupamas2

anupamas2Active Member

Threads:
    I have never tried using an app to track my expenses. Seems to be a good idea. I will download the app and try it out. I find it really difficult to track my expenses and I tend to spend a lot, without knowing where all the money goes. I tried the excel spreadsheet, but am too lazy to update it daily and then I forget all the expenses that I incurred. Hope that this app is simple to use and I am able to track all my spending.