Keeping a journal?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jun 23, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For someone traveling abroad, buying postcards might seem like a great way to save money but there's one I've come across that might be even better.

Keeping a journal while traveling is not only creatively satisfying but you also collect material you can use to write travel articles which you can then sell for $1K or more [as long as you have some photographs], to a travel magazine.

Do any of you keep a journal when you travel?

2. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    I get too much into the fun of travelling to keep track of it like that, and I'm not in the habit of doing so in other aspects of life. I can see the value in it, and how it can be fun to use it to make money or just to remember everything that happened, but I just can't do it in the moment like that. I think I fear that it might make things too boring.

3. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No, I don't keep a journal while traveling, but I think it's a great idea. It can be a great way to defer some of the cost of traveling. It's also a great way to remember the adventures that you have. Decades later, I could look back on my journals and relive my travels.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That would be a good idea to keep a travel journal to keep record for yourself as well as to try and sell to a travel magazine. You can really get 1k for selling an article to a travel magazine? Wow. Taking some good pictures to go along with it is also a great idea.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am currently travelling and also an avid writer. I don't just keep a journal but also take plenty of pictures wherever I go, and on top of that I make sketches of the places and people that I encounter. I just like to record and "digest" my life experiences on many different levels. :) Can you recommend some travel magazines that might be interested in my articles?

6. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have the inclination or budget right now for travel, but I will certainly keep that in mind when I am about to go on a trip because it's so easy to write a journal, and if you also get to earn from what you effortlessly created then it's like hitting 2 birds in 1 stone.

7. daleo717

daleo717Member

Threads:
    I have never kept a journal when traveling but it is a good idea. I have taken a lot of pictures while traveling and would write on the back of the photos and also put them into a book and write captions etc. I think for a writer it would be crucial to keep a journal and I will try it next time I travel.

8. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I do. In fact I keep one and I regularly write in it whenever I feel like doing so. The only thing how my journal is different from the expected is that my I keep one in my smartphone. It's not a physical notebook. Before I have one, but later I found out that it's more convenient for me to use a journal on a smartphone instead. It's very much felt when you are travelling. And about keeping a journal while travelling, I think that it's the best souvenir I could have from my travel. Places evokes different things, ideas, and feelings. But after that travel, all those are kept forgotten. If I didn't write it in my journal, I would have definitely no way to recall them and they would just be as if they never existed. My journal is the only thing that reminds me of them and brings what it was like to have gone to the places I have traveled.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most travel magazines accept submissions periodically. Just Google — "Travel Magazines seeking submissions" — and you'll find lots of of them. Most of the sites you'll land on will have a "Contact Us" button. Get that email address and send them a query before you start writing your article. Tell them about the article you intend to write for them. They can request you to send the article.

There are online publications which also accept submissions. What they pay they pay for accepted articles or photos is embarrassingly low but you can visit those sites because it's a lot easier for your article to be accepted there. Once you get a few articles published, you can go after bigger fish: