Kids And Cell Phones

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by emily0531 • Jan 20, 2015.

1. emily0531

emily0531Member

Threads:
    At what age should parents let children have cell phones? I understand carrying one in case of an emergency, but does a child need a smartphone or just a phone that is capable of calls and texts? Should children have some responsibility for helping with the cost of the service each month? I wonder if some parents have expectations such as household chores or getting good grades as a requirement for the privilege of having a cell phone. It seems like a good idea.

2. AngelicDevilTel

AngelicDevilTelActive Member

Threads:
    I was talking to me husband about this a while back and I told him that our kids wouldn't get cell phones until the can either pay for it themselves or show enough responsibility to be rewarded with a cell phone.

Then a few weeks back I saw that there is a Kid's cell phone that is specially designed for children.

They don't have internet access and really are only capable of calls, texts, and some other basic functions. The cool thing about it is that parents can track the phones and track activity on the phones through an app that they would download (although you can do this with most phones nowadays).

Other than that I believe that 16 is a more suitable age for a technological phone, and not an iPhone either unless they are going to pay for it.

3. stagsonline

stagsonlineNew Member

Threads:
    The issue about kids having phones will always be debatable. However, I think that the issue is not about letting them have phones but what they need them for. If there is absolutely no need for a kid to have a phone at a certain age, then I think it's not appropriate to allow them have one. 16 years is acceptable especially when it comes to the latest phones. As you mentioned, I believe kids should also earn it to have it.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    My kids each have an iPhone and I have been accused of the being frivolous by providing it. What the accuser did not know, however, is that each of my kids saved up the amount of money to buy the phone for themselves. My husband and I gladly pay for their service every month, but they each started with a basic call/text capable phone ("dumb" phone) until they paid to upgrade. They are also responsible for any repairs/replacements should the need ever occur.

That being said, even though I made them buy the phones themselves, I am so glad they have the smartphone versus the 'dumb'phone. With our busy schedule and my husband and I often at least 45 miles from their school on a given day, them having a smartphone gives them the ability to see where I am (using a GPS locator app) and also gives me the ability to see where they are. My son also uses his as a learning aid; he has been granted permission to take notes and even use the camera to take pics of the board in school (he has a learning disability and technology has been a lifesaver for him). More and more, even the teachers are utilizing technology and encouraging students to bring in their own smartphones and tablets from home to enhance learning in school.

5. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    If we don't allow our kids to use smartphone and all latest gadget like tablet then I think they will be late to understand the latest technologies and way of using it. Sometimes I get more confuse about this decision whether my kids make miss use of smartphone or they are ready for taking responsibility of such gadget.

6. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    I don't have a kid yet, but I think when they start school is a good time to give them a phone that's capable of making emergency calls. They don't need smartphones. They'll just distract them. Buy them a tablet instead if they do need a device to surf the web on.

7. emily0531

emily0531Member

Threads:
    It sounds like you have taught your kids how to be responsible people. It is interesting how technology can be such a benefit to students with learning disabilities. I had never thought about this. The GPS locator is also a great idea for keeping track of each other when you are a long distance apart.

8. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I see the point about children having phones for being able to stay in contact with parents and for security. I would put it off as long as possible because they can also be a distraction. It is just a part of culture now, so it is hard not to get them one. I don't like when they are used as a status symbol. I also don't like when people are so busy on the phone, they are not paying attention., not having real interactions, etc. I guess it all begins with the parents though, and how the children are educated and monitored.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have children, but most children know how to use a cellphone even if they don't have one of their own. My cousin's son at nine was teaching his aunts how to use their iPhones! I think a good age is 11 or 12 when they get the school bus alone or walk home alone, it's useful in case they need to get hold of them as these days there are less pay phones. Also if a child does sports and need a lift a home, it's useful. I remember days of waiting for my dad to pick me up and if I finished early I would just have to sit and wait.

10. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I understand your compassionate approach Leo. Experience does give us insight.

11. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    To me a kid shouldn't have a cell phone until they can show that they are responsible enough to have one. In other words not going around running up the bill on frivolous things. I shake my head when I see kids carrying about smartphones, I don't have a smartphone, my cellphone is a basic phone that I use to call my family with. I think a basic phone is good enough for any kid especially if the parent is paying for it.

Now if the kids want it and are willing to pay for it, that is another story. Because then the kid knows the responsibility of having such a phone. I think the person above who allowed the kids to have one provided they paid for it and kept up the maintenance should be applauded. This was my fathers approach about certain items that weren't necessities of life, if you want it so badly earn the money and get it. To me this is the approach a parent should take with any kid who want a smartphone, you want it then you buy it.

12. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the responsibility level of the child, but generally I would say somewhere around 6th or 7th grade depending on what activities the child is in, but even then I wouldn't suggest getting them a smartphone. Kids really only need a basic phone to make calls and send text messages. I think teenagers having smartphones or phones with cameras is a waste of money and also risky. Just yesterday our local paper had an article about two local high school students who had sent each other inappropriate photos on their phones, except the photos didn't stay between those two individuals. They got shared throughout the school from students sending them on to others. They are not adults yet, so they do not always think through decisions completely and might open themselves up for embarrassment that will follow them for a long time.

When they are adults and can afford the phone service and understand the responsibility of using technology, then they can have a smartphone. I don't think parents are cautious enough when it comes to their kids' use of technology.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I bought my grandson a smartphone for Christmas. He is eight years old. He has proven to me that he is capable of using it as well as a tablet, and a computer and I trust him with the following strings attached: If you break it, that's it. Keep it in your book bag at all times unless it's an emergency. Don't tell ANYONE that you have it. AND you must work (chores) to keep the service on and don't ask me what chores you can do for me either.:eek:

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My cousin recently gave his 14 year old sons smartphones and I think it was a BAD idea! They were always messaging girls on KIK and sending who knows what on Snapchat. I think 17 is the right age for teens to be on phones. They get distracted too easily. Their focus should be on their studies and not their FB page!

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The oldest kid in our family is ten years old and he still doesn't have a phone yet, nor does he look like he needs one anytime soon. We still bring and pick him up from school and since we're always on time and we can easily just call the school if we need to get in touch with them. I think this just depends on the circumstance since I imagine that if it were a bigger school with more kids then it would be a bit more of a necessity to be able to contact them as necessary.

16. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I don't have any children, but if I did I'd be extremely careful about giving them a cell phone. I'm not even sure I'd let the have one until they were ready for high school. Smart phones especially can be a huge distraction. And can cause a lot of problems. I know some parents give their kids cell phones way too early, such as age 10. I think theyll come to regret that.

17. Kamarsun1

Kamarsun1Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you, I'm going to wait until they are responsible enough to have a phone. My boys would mainly use the phone to play games and watch movies so they wouldn't need a phone service, but teen age years would be best.

18. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    It irritates me how parents give their young children tablets and cell phones to play game and keep them quiet instead of entertaining them themselves.

I wouldn't let my child have a phone until they were responsible enough to use it and by that I mean NOT USE IT DURING CLASS!

19. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I work for a major carrier so my 3 and 7 year olds both have phones that they can only use in WiFi at our house. A couple of months ago I tried to give my 7 year old calling and texting, but a strange number was calling her leaving voicemails on It in the middle of the night. The caller obviously had the wrong number. Needless to say it freaked me out so I took out the SIM card. Now they just play games and watch Netflix on their phones.

20. primaLucid

primaLucidNew Member

Threads:
    Phones should be a resource. Yes, they can be used as a form of entertainment, but I think kids should be monitored with their cell phones, especially if it's their first phone. If a kid goes overboard with his/her phone and becomes addicted, that can be problematic because it can hamper their social skills. I believe that phones are definitely one of the greatest inventions of all time, but with every gem comes a drawback.