Kindles as a Christmas present?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Dolson910 • Jul 13, 2014.

1. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    I am thinking about buying Kindles for my 8 year old son and 6 year old daughter this year for Christmas. They are both asking for them. The problem is that I don't know much about Kindles, such as various models or features. Do your kids have Kindles and can you offer any advice on pros and cons? Thanks!

2. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Starting a little early on the Christmas shopping aren't we? :p

Still, they're pretty good. They're essentially a cheaper iPad if you've ever played around with one of them, albeit with maybe a slight decline in specs. Shouldn't be too much of an issue however considering how much you save.

3. Gadzooks

GadzooksMember

Threads:
    I like the Kindle. I had one and only got rid of it because I upgraded to the iPad. It pretty much functions like an iPad, only a little bit different and not as big, and obviously, you cant get on iTunes or the Apple Store. I am actually thinking about getting the Kindle for my oldest for Christmas. That way she could read books from the library without us actually having to go to the library. I think it's a great idea and will save me the hassle of going there or paying for expensive books when I can get them for free. The only concern I would have is that it would be dropped and will break. I would make sure to get a sturdy kid-proof case just to make sure if they do drop it (and they are kids, they will drop it eventually), that it will not break.

4. Dolson910

Dolson910Member

Threads:
    Never too early to start shopping for Christmas! I like to know ahead of time what I want to buy the kids and also to budget things out. I like to make it a game to see how many Amazon gift cards I can earn via survey sites before Christmas-it brings down the cost of gifts considerably. Last year, I was able to get quite a few of my gifts for free just by planning ahead! Thanks for your input!

5. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    If you do get your young children Kindles, I strongly suggest you get the best protectors you can buy or your going to end up with cracked screens and useless slabs of silicon. Get an insurance plan with them if you can because your going to need one.