Kitchen cloths

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Oct 9, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan of kitchen cloths, I use them for a lot of things when I am in the kitchen and my wife sometimes complain that I clean my mouth in them when I am eating, but I don't find that so bad, or is it? Do you use kitchen cloths a lot or not really?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do. We have only cloth napkins. We leave them at our place at the table and only wash when they look dirty. We use several towels, one for drying hands, one for putting rinsed dishes on, and one for drying the dishes. We also have wash clothes for dishes and wiping down the stove and counter. I don't really use paper towels or paper napkins as it is easy to wash out a wash cloth and thus not have to buy more paper towels.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep things separate. I have tea towels for hands and cloths for wiping the tables and counters and I use paper napkins to wipe the mouth. I'm a bit of a clean freak and like to wash things each week as dust and bacteria accumulate. I often throw out old cloths or use them to clean the floor with when they are on their last legs.

I have a scourer for scrubbing and for bleach and another to wash the dishes with. I never mix the two and keep them in different places.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We use cloth towels to dry the dishes but mostly paper towels for hands and quick snacks. I would prefer to use less paper and more cloth towels, but it is not my choice.

5. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    If your kitchen cloth has been cleaned since use, then I don't see too much of a problem with it. If there's chemicals on the cloth, such as from wiping cleaning products, then yes it is a big issue. It could be dangerous and get you ill, or worse. Please be careful in the future; your wife is only looking out for your health : )

6. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I use kitchen cloths all the time as well, but only to wipe something that's wet or something that spills, I don't use it to clean my mouth like you, but I do like to use those paper towels to do that and my wife tells me I should just use a napkin :)
    I don't ever use any products on the cloths though, I never know if I might wipe a surface where I'll place some food, I rather keep a separate cloth just for using cleaning products.

7. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would set aside a separate, clean, cloth for wiping your mouth. If the counter has been wiped and has something like chicken juices or even other foods on it, using that cloth on your mouth could make you sick. You also don't want mouth germs on cloths that are used to wipe tables and dishes and things. If you're coming down with a cold, you could give it to everyone in the house.

Having your a cloth for just your personal use, is fine. We do this often, rather than using too many paper products.

I even saw a thing for making your own washable napkins, which are similar to paper towels (but cloth). You roll them up on paper towel holder for convenience.

8. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I have cloths all over my kitchen !! We go though so many a day it's ridiculous! We do have 6 people in our home so that's one reason why. :) I have one that's near our sink that we dry our hands on and dry dishes with and I always have one that we use to wipe up the counters and so on. We do use cloth napkins as well but not always. I only have 2 sets so sometimes their in the wash so we just use paper.

I am also always concerned about germs, so I do tend to wash mine quite regularly.

Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

9. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    Being a housewife I know the importance of kitchen cloth quite too well. Make sure you don't wipe your face with it as it contains all the bacteria picked up through out days work. To keep it clean, I sterilize it twice it and use it only for kitchen purposes.

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same. I have specific cloths for the counter and rags to wipe spills off the floor. I keep them separate and bleach the heck out of them.
    When they start to fall apart, I toss them out. Cleaning with an unsanitary cloth that has been used to wipe other surfaces just spreads germs.

11. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do use kitchen cloths, but I wouldn't use them to clean my mouth or to wipe any part of my body. It's just doesn't look hygienic at all. I use them for wiping most with my hands, and no more part of my body. In terms of their actual use, I think I am able to use all them they way they should be used. I also fancy a lot of different designs. That's why I keep on buying them. I think I have enough number of them so as not to remember the one that I have used, especially when.

12. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    My family and I have always made good use of kitchen cloths, but the issue of keeping them sanitary has always been a concern for us. The thing is, we use our kitchen cloths to wipe the mats that we eat from when we're finished eating. So, this practice makes them a little less than sanitary if we were thinking of using them to wipe our faces afterwards, lol.
    What we tend to do though, is to soak them in some good ole diluted disinfectant or bleach-based cleaner, so that all the impurities and germs can get blasted away, and so that our valuable kitchen cloths can be safe for our use again. We do this at least once a week, and otherwise if it becomes excessively dirty or grimy.
    Furthermore, we've engaged in the practice of alternating between wet/damp and dry kitchen cloths, using the damp ones to clean off set-in stains, and then the dry cloth to kinda "finish the job" after we've done the "primer clean".
    It really does keep our surroundings safe and clean, and allows us to feel a sense of confidence that we are not eating off of a mat that's germ-infested, or smelly because of food residue and stains. Our kitchen cloths also help us to keep away the insects that tend to be attracted to leftover food particles that we often ignore, but which tend to get left on our dining tables, floors, and elsewhere.
    Kitchen safety is a serious and important issue, and for the sake of the health of ourselves and our families, we ought not to overlook it.

13. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I use kitchen napkins quite a lot and I make sure that I do not use them for any other purpose other than using it for kitchen purpose. I also love to regularly change the napkins every single day as I am very particular about cleanliness. I usually use cotton napkins as they dry very soon.

14. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We have kitchen cloths. We use them to wipe our hands after washing them though. My mom also reprimands my brother because he uses the cloths to wipe his mouth. I don't see myself using it on my mouth because I imagine that they are very dirty.

15. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My wife always nags me because she feels I use kitchen cloths for way too many things, but I mean, if I am in the kitchen I give them use, we have a fair amount of them so if they get dirty I wash them and just get a new one right?