Kitchen Makeover

Discussion in Home & Garden started by lizzief79 • Oct 13, 2014.

1. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Although my kitchen is only six years old, it has quite a bit of damage from the children. It really needs refreshing and updating. I have a limited budget so I can't replace it. What are some cheap and simple things that I could do myself? Have you done any updates to improve your kitchen?

2. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Which kinds of updates are you looking for in particular? There are numerous ways to repaint things like kitchen cabinets and even appliances. Some techniques are easier than others, but many of them can be done with great success. There are so many creative people out there with DIY ideas for every room of the house. There are neat flooring and counter top ideas too. Concrete can be rather cool and the kids certainly can't hurt it!

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    OP, what damage are you trying to repair? You can reface your kitchen cabinets with new door fronts instead of replacing the entire cabinets.
    You can use appliance paint to touch up scratches on your appliances. There are peel and stick tiles that you can use to beautify your backsplash.
    And of course paint is the cheapest improvement of all, if your kids draw on the walls.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I too am looking to update my kitchen. I began by working on the countertops; we re-tiled. This was not too expensive because our friend who refurbishes helped us. The second thing I would like to do is remove some mold, all oil stains from cooking, and then repaint. The one thing I would like to do that I think would help is re-staining the cupboards. But our landlady said she does not want us touching them. This has put me in a bad position because they look terrible and I would love to do something with them. If anyone has any ideas on how I can fix that problem, suggestions would be appreciated. I find another cheap way of giving my kitchen a new look is to take some of the cupboard doors off and have matching glasses and plates. Also, you can change out your towels and rugs to be a new color that matches your curtains.

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, to learn from this. If you are really up to making your kitchen always presentable not just to your eyes, but also to the eyes of your visitors and relatives, then you should probably have it always maintained. Don't wait that some of it would be worn out, before you take necessary actions. And since it's already there, I think the best that you should do is to invest to quality materials. It doesn't have to be costly, but it can. There are quality materials that don't cost that expensive, but most of the quality one cost quite high, but be rest-assured that they would be just as great as their price in terms of functions and durability.