Knives, spoons, forks - do you ever replace them?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by prettycolors • Sep 2, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    It just dawned on me that I never bought a knife, spoon or fork in whole my life. When I moved in the new house my parents gave me a bunch of cutlery that they had around since I was little. The cutlery looks shiny and works perfectly even if it's almost two decades old. Looking in the future I don't think I'll buy new tableware any time soon :rolleyes:

I'm curious how cutlery is treated in your part of the world. It should be changed often, once a few years?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy to replace items or if I don't have enough for guests I will buy another set. If you have a good set you don't need to replace them. There is the odd bent fork or knife used to try to pry something open or if you go on a picnic and take some items, they can get lost. My parents still have the cutlery from my childhood.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've only ever bought a new set of cutlery only once and have never felt the need to replace them. Eh are very sturdy and since I don't hold too many house parties anymore I don't really lose any of them so I'm fine with the set I have now. I guess the only reason I'd have to get another set is if I wanted something fancier for formal dining, but seeing as I probably won't do it too often I'm not too inclined to do so.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    That's amazing that you have 20 year old utensils. I seem to be replacing them every few months lol. They seem to just disappear into thin air or break or something. That is interesting that you have NEVER bought a fork or a knife ect...

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If it ain't broke, don't replace it. Same here, when I was married we got our utensils from gifts and we got 2 sets. It's been 15 years now and we have not bought any new sets yet. But for cooking utensils, we replace them as needed. They do wear out faster.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. We have and still use antique cutlery, spoons, knives, forks all that stuff, except for knives since we don't usually do fancy dining in the house anymore. What we do is just wash them with warm water and use some sort of silverware cleaner I don't know really know what it is, and we do that every year.

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't replaced my cutlery since I got my first grown up apartment 20 years ago. Stainless steel cutlery doesn't really rust or get ruined unless you use industrial equipment to damage it.
    We have one of those divided silverware drawer things so it doesn't get lost.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My cutlery comes from thrift stores. I don't like sets but individual pieces that are nicely engraved or decorated in some other special way. My friends and family often comment on this "eccentricity" of mine. I have the same habits with plates and bowls. It always adds interest to the kitchen table. :)
    When I think about it, I have actually never bought any sets of cutlery, used or new.

9. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    I do not have any idea about this. These are the things that my mom handles, so I don't know whether we replaced knives, spoons, forks or not.

10. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I mostly buy these utensils in open air markets and mostly buy
    stainless steel. This means that they are durable since they don't
    break easily or rust. I usually replace them when they get lost or
    deformed due to long usage.

11. Gad

GadMember

Threads:
    Cutlery sets are one of the things that do not get replaced oftenly. Most of the times in my country you find when a new couple is getting married, they are gifted with such. They, therefore, retain those. another case is single men. These can even eat with their hands. I tend to think that after some time it is important to replace the sets.

12. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    No, the cutlery that we have are still the same ones that I have been using since childhood. They are quite durable. As for knives, they get "replaced" from time to time, it's like the old one still gets used, but there are the new ones that are reserved when the old one finally gets too dull.

13. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The cutlery is supposed to last a lifetime. That's why our fork and spoons, including the steak knives are still the same since 1994 when we moved to raise our own family. It is understandable with the plates because of the breakage but we still have some of the original plates. To us, utensils and implements used in the kitchen and dining are considered heirlooms already even if they are not that old.

14. iamawriter

iamawriterActive Member

Threads:
    We have been collecting crockery and cutlery over the years. We always go for something that lasts. Most of the cutlery that we have is rust free stainless steel. There are some ladles that have wooden handles as they are more convenient while stirring something on the gas.

Most of our crockery is Bone China and now Corele.

15. Shana Peckover

Shana PeckoverMember

Threads:
    I don't own any "Silverware". Having two teenage sons taught me to buy the cheaper utensils early on. The sets that I bought from WalMart were inexpensive and have really held up well.
    In answer to the question: I only buy cutlery when I can no longer find more than 3 or 4 of a particular piece.

16. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin CottontailActive Member

Threads:
    We don't change utensils unless they are broken. We've been using our kitchen utensils for years now and they still look new. Same thing with knives, my hubby usually sharpens them when they get dull. But sometimes we add kitchen utensils whenever we have the chance to or whenever I see something cute or different :)