Kobo

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by chiofthenorns • Sep 9, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I went to the bookstore today and saw the eBook reader that the store is advertising. It's called Kobo. The interface is much like that of the Kindle only cheaper. I think it is around $100. I tried using it, and I liked it. However, I want to ask first if someone here knows about Kobo. Is it worth buying?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I heard that there is a Kindle version that's as cheap as Kobo ereader so I guess they lost the pricing edge. But even without that, here's why Kindle is much better:

- Kobo books are slightly pricier than Kindle books [why would you pay more]?
    - Kobo has no free books while there are thousands of Kindle books.
    - If you're an Amazon Prime member you can borrow books.

Why would you choose Kobo ereader over the Amazon Kindle?

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I actually have a Kobo. It was the ereader that was carried in Waldenbooks (Borders) bookstores. I think I bought it a year before the bookstore went out of business. I really like the device itself and I've never had any problems with it. It is still going strong so I have not upgraded or even thought about buying a Kindle. Their bookstore leaves a little to be desired. They don't offer free books and they are more expensive, but they do have a few .99 books and they'll send coupons from time to time. You can always find a promo code, too.

4. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    This is my second Kobo and I like it and I also have a Sony. I don't think I'll buy another eReader because tablets have dropped so much in price and they are much more versatile as well as being in color. With a tablet you have access to so many reader apps, I think Kindle even has a app that can be used on tablets. My only heartburn with tablets are their weight because they are much heavier than eReaders due to the larger battery requirement. Holding a tablet up for hours is a chore!

5. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard nothing but good things about the Kobo, especially with how easy it is to add books onto it from sources other than Amazon or Google Play. Having said that, it's too small for me, just as the Kindle is. The main reason why I want another one is for the size, so I'll be getting a Nexus 9. That size will make reading magazines perfect and I can keep using my Nook Color for books.