Kodak Is Making A Smartphone

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Jan 3, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:

These days a lot of companies have been jumping into the tech device pool and it seems like Kodak is doing so as well albeit being a bit late to the party in my opinion. I still think it's pretty interesting to see though since I'm willing to bet that they probably will give more attention the the camera more so than any other brand. I just hope they make nice looking phones because it's the main thing I pay attention to and I actually do see myself getting this brand as a smartphone when it does come out.

What about you guys, does this brand interest you? Do you see yourself buying a Kodak smartphone in the future?

2. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    That's pretty funny. You would think that they would collaborate with an already established phone company and make a phone with a really, really good camera for a new phone. I don't know if their phone will be any good, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I don't really know if Kodak has made anything but cameras. For as long as I can remember that's always been the case.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose that since lots of people use their smartphones to take photos these days, Kodak had to step into the game and make a device that could also double as a great tool for taking photos [just like a Kodak camera]. If they create a hybrid of sorts then I'm sure those who are into photography may be willing to try out the new smartphone.

But it remains to be seen whether Kodak will make an impact in the smartphone market. Could it be they waited far too long before wading in?

4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Kodak's not wading into anything. It's basically a licensing deal that's doomed to fail because two smartphones have already done what Kodak should have done long ago. The Samsung Galaxy Zoom and Nokia Lumia 1020 have already packed 40+ MP cameras into their frames. Kodak-branded devices from some lesser manufacturer aren't going to be able to make much of an impact, especially considering a company like Apple is known for having the best smartphone and tablet cameras and image quality in the industry.

5. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Not really sure how much of an impact they will make on the market. To be honest they will probably make little to no impact unless it pulls a Apple with a gimmick or blows us away with great specs. I don't think they will do either and it will just put entry level type phones with above average cameras.

6. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a huge technology fan, but this would be an item that would interest me for sure. Ever since I upgraded from a basic cell phone to one that takes pictures, that's what I like the most, so a Kodak smartphone with give me warranties in that particular aspect.

7. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    They do have the right to claim a position in the market once they get to produce better image quality out from their tablets and phones. I remember I was using Kodak easy share camerea back then. it only have 5mp but definitely worth using.

Hope to acquire one when they're done. And I hope its not very expensive as well.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    This was my initial thought as well, but I think consumers nowadays are much more forgiving for late parties and they already know to support products that are of good quality, especially when it comes to smartphones, so they will probably still do okay as long as the product they put out is worthy of the price tag they put on it.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I suppose the reputation they earned will give them a fighting chance. Nonetheless I think only those interested more in photography and not what the smartphone can do will be desire to get their hands on the new phone. I wouldn't mind giving it a try myself since I am very much into photography.

10. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely something that I'm looking forward to. Apple, Samsung and the other smartphone giants may have taken the whole industry market but I have this feeling that Kodak has something up their sleeve. Believe it or not but there might be a market out there for people who are only looking for smartphones that focus more on the photography aspect. I'm just not sure if how big that market is but I guess it's worth taking a plunge at. I may check their smartphone when they release it because I'm looking to replace my second hand samsung galaxy s2 which was given to me by my dad. I already have a blackberry and a Kodak smartphone that focuses more on photography couple with a blackberry that's for texting and calling doesn't sound so bad. :)

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm reminded of the tie-up between Sony and Ericsson way back. As of now it's too soon to know if it will be a hit or not, but hopefully the design is appealing and the price reasonable.