Labels on products

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Anna Blush • Feb 7, 2013.

1. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    Do you normally look on the labels of what you buy?
    Do you think you really pay attention if you are getting a good quality product or you just take something off of the shelf because it looks tasty?
    (I personally try to read the label all the time just be sure that I am not buying something with too much fats or sugar and etc)

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read the label on any food product I buy. There's a lot of hidden sugar in food. High fructose corn syrup and corn solids are ubiquitous in food. I eventually stopped buying processed foods.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I always read the labels. I am also skeptical when they add vitamins. I always look how much they add and usually it's only an extra 10% of your daily serving. I try to steer clear of too many processed foods, but sometimes you have to grab a quick snack and it's unavoidable.

4. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    This is something that I have started doing recently on any new products that I have never tried before. I usually avoid buying processed foods altogether and buy mostly the same items everytime I shop. I also do a lot of cooking from scratch so mostly what I buy are meats, produce and dairy products. I do like the saying "if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it!"

5. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    I try to read the labels of the products that I use, especially when it comes to food. However, I must admit that I read the labels once those products are in the cupboard. Many people have the habit of reading those labels at the time of taking the product from the shelves of the supermarket, but often the vertigo of the routine turn that an impossible task. Beyond that, it is important to be responsible consumers and this is a fundamental point. Particularly I read the caloric value of the food, its production date and the expiration date. Those are three fundamentals that I try don't miss. Over time, it becomes a healthy habit. :D

6. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I always look at labels. It's important to know what you're putting into your body, as well as what you're spending your money on.

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I think it depends on what I'm buying. You don't mean labels only in food products, do you? If not, yup, I do tend to check what ingredients are in products I use, such as soap, shampoo, moisturizer, etc. I've read lots of info online about what ingredients should be avoided, and I make sure to check for those.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I always read the labels for fat, sugar, salt and calorie content. Another thing I look for is the percentage of the main ingredient. For example, I've seen some frozen fish pies with less than 20% fish in them. That's why I hardly ever buy processed foods at all these days, unless it's a particular favourite. At least if you cook from scratch you know what you're eating.

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a label inspector, I read all of the labels because I like to know what I am putting into my body. I don't need to read many labels because the majority of the food I eat is cooked from its natural form. No reading needed.

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It depends on the product.

Honestly, I don't buy that many pre-packaged foods, so most of the foods I do purchase are 'basics' where the labels aren't going to vary that much anyway (like flour, pasta, etc). And if I'm choosing convenience food, then I know it's going to be bad. I may compare a few brands to see which is the lesser evil or sometimes it'll convince me not to buy a product at all after all.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I generally already know the nutritional content of most of the stuff I buy, since I tend to buy the same things each trip to the grocery store. The only thing I really look out for these days is if something contains MSG or a lot of corn syrup. I'm especially checking soups, stocks, and condiments for this.

I already know that stuff like mayo and sour cream and cheese are higher in fat. If I'm checking out some TV dinners, I don't even need to look I already know it's loaded with fat and sodium.

I do get a bit picky if I am buying a jarred pasta sauce, since I usually make my own - but I will some times keep some premade ones on hand if I am in a hurry or feeling under the weather.

12. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I always read the labels, but then most of what I buy is fresh so I don't generally need to read labels. If I am buying frozen or prepared foods (like the stuff from the deli at Whole Foods) I check the labels for ingredients because I don't eat peppers. I don't look at calories or anything like that though.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, no, I just get what I want to to buy because I know that it's delicious. I have never been a health and label freak, so I don't mind those added calories. ;)

14. GavinMcresty

GavinMcrestyMember

Threads:
    Since I am vegetarian, I always have to look at the labels to make sure I can actually eat what I am going to buy! You would surprised about how many foods (and even drinks) are not vegetarian because of the things they add or use during processing. For example, many wines and other alcoholic beverages are not vegetarian because they use isinglass (made from fish) or gelatine (made from bone) to remove impurities. Most beers are not marked as vegetarian but if they are brewed in accordance with the German beer purity rules (Reinheisgebot), then they are always vegetarian. These rules only allow the use of water, barley and hops in the production of the beer. This also makes it vegetarian.

15. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are other ingredients which are much more harmful than MSG. MSG doesn't really deserve the bad rep, it occurs naturally in mushrooms and broccoli, for example, and it shouldn't be a problem if you are not sensitive to it. Vegetable fat is much more harmful and it is in most processed food.

16. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    It pays off to read the labels on everything buy especially if you're dealing with food. Doing this, you'll be able to be aware of the calories you're going to take in and the amount of sugar and MSG as well which sometimes can definitely harm our body and immune system. It's best to look at those labels to benefit your health.

17. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    In addition to the nutritional facts, and ingredients list, I like to compare the net weight and pricing between similar products to find the best deal. Packaging is often totally misleading so you've got to pay attention to the net weight as well.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try really hard to stay away with anything that has a label to be honest. I don't know what's REALLY in that stuff. When I do buy it though, and it is pretty hard to avoid, I read the label for sure. People need to read more than calorie counts.. in many cases, too many people don't get enough, but too much of the others on the list.