Ladies Do You Buy Men's Products?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Sep 27, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fact is all ladies beauty products are somewhat more expensive than men's products. Just slap the label feminine on anything and that's a good enough reason to sell it for a little more than it's worth.

The women’s version of many everyday products is often more expensive than the men’s version from the same company, consisting of the same ingredients. The price difference can vary between products and is often a matter of cents, but experts say these small differences add up to an average of $1,400 a year.

Since there's no difference between some of the men's products and women's products, why not save $1400 by buying men's products?

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never thought about this at all. I may have to look a bit further into it. My main problem would be the fact that stuff designed for men may not necessarily be suitable for women. I'd also be worried about the strong smell of men's products, which often have a hint of spice. I'm a girl's girl and like to smell very girlie LOL I have a friend who prefers men's deodorants and colognes, maybe she's onto something?

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not a product junkie, so at the moment, can't think of anything I need geared to just women (aside from the obvious lol). I do use men's razors though. I hate women's razors.. they don't last nearly as long and I've always found men's to work far better. Other than that I can't think of anything.. hmmmm, I'll come back to this.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have not purchased a beauty product in such a long time. So I will have to go back to my high school days. When I was in high school, I found that although I was never attracted to men, I loved the spell of aftershave. I didn't feel like it was sexy, but I just enjoyed the smell. So sometimes, instead of purchasing women's perfume, I purchased men's aftershave.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I would be inclined to agree that you could very probably save a huge amount of money by switching to products aimed at the male market - as apart from the packaging being male orientated and sometimes the fragrance or lack of it - there really isn't that much difference in the ingredients - in fact come to think it - as dermatologists don't prescribe gender based treatments - I don't see any reason why not.

Although I have to admit that it would be highly unlikely that I would ever consider switching my perfume for a male cologne - there are a few personal care products that I do already buy the male version of - mainly because of the lack of fragrance and especially like male hair styling products - which are not only have the added bonus of being half the price of their female counterparts - but as I generally find them superior - in that they give a more natural effect and don't turn into concrete if your hair gets wet - like some of the more costly female styling products do - they are better value too.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends what you buy, buy male grooming products can cost more than womens because there is less choice. I buy Bic razors and that's it as many things are unisex. The male Clinique range is the same as womens in more masculine looking packaging and is more expensive. Complete marketing ploy, (I have friends who work for the company) and people buy into it.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've actually done this when I had to be apart from a partner for an extended period of time. I'd get used to the scent, and like having it around. I don't use many perfumed products these days, but have considered buying some samples, just because I do like the scent of a man around here, and there isn't one right now.

I've purchased men's disposable razors before, thinking there probably wouldn't be a difference, but they seem to be more straight than curved, and nowadays I the ladies disposables instead, because they often have moisturizing strips that help soothe my irritated skin.

8. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I go back and forth on what scents I prefer, so I wouldn’t rule it out on that basis. However, it seems the men’s shaving cream I used to use, which I will say did work really well, is actually more expensive per ounce than the women’s one I use now, which I find to be a better product. That said, the men’s product is larger, meaning I’d probably buy it less frequently. So it’d either equal out in the end, or the men’s product could possibly yield better overall savings. It all depends.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do sometimes buy men's tee shirts for hanging around the house. They are fuller cut, which I appreciate when I'm hanging out and not caring how I look. My Fibromyalgia causes skin discomfort, and sometimes all it takes is fabric touching my body to set me off. It also seems some men's shirts are softer, although I don't know why. For sure, they are usually cheaper, as well.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only product for men that I would purchase is pants, since I don't dig those leggings that cling tightly to the skin. It's uncomfortable, and in this era of skinny jeans, I'd rather wear straight cut pants or capris. Apart from that, no beauty products for me for me.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Awww. That is so sweet :) I'm a lesbian, and so I don't really enjoy the scent of a man around me or anything like that. For me it is purely the fragrance that I enjoy. I guess I don't see the scent as masculine, even though it is marketed that way. A smell is a smell to me. I either like the smell or I don't you know? I love women's perfume, and love to smell 'feminine' and sweet. But on the odd occasion, I do like to be able to sniff aftershave. Some of them are way too strong on the nose though. One of my favorites is Joop.

I find that many women purchase men's razors, just because they last longer and the quality is better.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy men's razors too - I don't find them any different from ones marketed at women. I usually buy a gender-neutral shower gel too - it's a fraction of the price of the branded ones but exaclty the same. That's about it though, I'm not a massive fan of any type of fragrance anyway.

13. AnnMarie

AnnMarieNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have bought men's products for myself. Now that they are making skin creams for men, I have found that some of them are just as good as the ones I've bought for women. Same as hair conditioner and shampoo. I've never cared what kind of razor I use and shaving cream, well I just get the cheapest stuff going, men's of course. Same with socks. Mostly, my rule of thumb is this. Is it on sale? Is it something I use? Do I care if there is a picture of a man on it. NO, OK then, no brainer. You buy what ever is the cheapest and works. Simple.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am aware men's beauty products are more affordable then women's products, however I don't think I could buy men's products. For one, they're not as fun as women's products! Also, they are suited for a rougher skin, and for different needs. My skin is very sensitive and quite allergic, so I would rather not risk it just so I can save a couple bucks.

15. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I think I'm very partial to skin care products and for that reason alone, I tend to not buy men's product with the thinking that they are more harsh for the skin. However, your link seems to prove otherwise as they discovered that men's and women's products are of the same ingredients. I would never have known but I think it's better to check the label and see if this is true or not. If it is, then wow! Such a great savings on skin care, yay!

I do buy certain men's products like shirts and boxers, lol. I love sleeping in comfortable and loose clothing so men's wear is the way to go. They are extremely soft and loose so I love them.

16. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a long time fan of "Gee, Your Hair Smells Terrific", despite it clearly being marketed to women - I've gone as far as ordering it from China and paying over $20 a bottle for it plus shipping, since it's no longer made in the US. Some company in China years ago bought the rights to it, so it's only made there these days.

As for stuff like razors, it would be silly to pay a premium for "feminine" themed razors, when there are perfectly good men's razors out there for way cheaper. In fact, DollarShaveClub is actually a really good deal. Their mid to top of the line razors are still way cheaper than any Gillette blades. For $6-$9 a month they will ship you a fresh set of 4 places (the shipping is included in the cost). You can pause your order frequency at any time too, so if you only want to order new blades every other month, you can easily do that too.

Also, some men's colognes have also gained a following with women as well. Christian Dior's "Eau Savage" is apparently popular with women too, from what I've read in the reviews. "Eau Savage" apparently means "wild water" but it's actually a spicy smelling fragrance, which predominantly smells like cinnamon. I believe it also has Vetiveer in it too, which is sort of grassy/citrusy smelling.

17. AutumnFall

AutumnFallMember

Threads:
    Oh yes, I do! :D I found certain men's products more comfortable, cheaper, and visually appealing than women's products. For instance, I buy and wear men's boots and sneakers because they fit and feel more comfortable on my feet than women's boots and sneakers. I also buy men's socks, hoodies, and shirts because they're comfier, thicker, and designed better. It's really sad how a lot of women's products are made without much thought or even with enough fabric nowadays. I haven't found a men's perfume that I like yet since I find most men's perfume a bit too strong for my taste. I'm sure it's out there for me though. Haha!

18. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have a preference for men's razors. My shampoo and body wash are marketed in a gender-neutral way. I have women's antiperspirant/deodorant but I only use it for day-to-day use; for planned heavy exercise, I use the men's version of the same brand because I feel that it is more effective.

19. Carnold23

Carnold23New Member

Threads:
    I do not buy men's products. I know it is silly but I like the girly smells of my products and I like the girly packaging.
    I find the smells of men's products too strong for me. My husband would also go crazy if I started using men's products because I would start using his!