Laptops and tablets - is there a market for both?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Danblu • Apr 3, 2013.

1. Danblu

DanbluMember

Threads:
    Since the smartphone's boom, mobile platforms have seen a tremendous rise in installation base. Tablets have entered the market being a, sort of, hybrid between the mobility of a smartphone and the power of medium range laptops. As the years went on tablets increased in computing power and laptops have seen a substantial decrease in size and weight. There are already hybrids between both and even Microsoft's Surface has better specs than many laptops on the market now. Is the line between both going to get any blurrier? Will we see the rise of a new singular platform during the next few years?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Currently, there is a market for both laptops and tablets. I think laptops are for persons that are more into office work while tablets are for people that are more on the go. Laptops offer a better encoding experience and have more capabilities as compared to tablets. When tablets become more powerful than laptops, I think that that would be the day that laptops would be doomed.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I think there is definitely a market for both. Lets remember some years back people thought that the lap top would replace the desk top, but for the most part it hasn't. The desk top computer does still exist maybe mostly in offices and in schools but it still does exist. As for the lap top, I also think it has some advantages that a tablet doesn't. For example a far better keyboard in which to work with. I do have to admit that I like those newer models of lap tops that can be converted into a tablet as well. These give you the performance of a lap top and the convenience of a tablet all in one.

4. attagirl

attagirlNew Member

Threads:
    I think Desk tops will phase completely out and laptop will be the new desktop type, due to portability. There are many things that I can only do only my laptop, simply put that I cannot do with a smaller device. Because if the size of the screen. I do still see and will continue to see a market for laptops and tablets at least for the next 10 years or so.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, while shopping in Office Depot for some general office supply, I spotted the Lenovo ThinkPad Twist and the Lenovo Yoga IdeaPad. They about both ultra laptops that can be converted to tablets. The ThinkPad is more business oriented while the IdeaPad is more for the consumer. I really liked them both. I'm more partial to the ThinkPad. I am currently saving up to by a tablet, but I like the idea of a laptop that can be used as a tablet. Both were cheaper than the Microsoft Surface tablet.

6. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Indeed there is. Tablets are for more of a gadget for personal use or for short periods of time on a very specific line of work. With the laptop, you have most of the power of a desktop build, so you can work on it and take your projects everywhere, and also you can use it for personal use.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, it does seem as if more and more laptops are being created that can be converted into a tablet. This is a clever idea and utilizes both these types of popular devices in one thing. Like I said before the laptop probably won't go out because of the tablet, because it does offer the key board. For some such as myself this is an important element of any PC I am using. Now the desk top is another story. Yes, these are being more compacted, with the CPU actually being placed in the monitor to where its no longer a separate unit, but these still probably won't stand the test of time. People seem to want devices that are more mobile, and desk tops no matter how compacted they become aren't mobile.

8. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    Desktops will stay. Unless they will find a way to easily customize and upgrade laptops like we do on Desktops.

Back to the main topic. Definitely at this moment laptops and tablets have a high market value, especially tablets. Tablets gave a more featured user experience for touch screens and most kids are enjoying it especially on playing games. All kids from my niece's school seems to have one including her.

9. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I'm not actually 100% sure what a tablet is or does. I have used a laptop for years, and I love it. Do tablets have the same functionality as a laptop? And what about a keyboard?

10. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Tablets don't normally come with keyboards, they do not have the same functionality as laptops, and they tend to be fairly expensive considering their capabilities. Just Google the word tablet.

Back to thread: if motorcycles haven't replaced cars, and jet skis haven't replaced boats, and portable games systems have yet to replace consoles, and most folks prefer a normal fridge to a mini fridge... then I'm pretty sure laptops are safe.

11. rachel1970

rachel1970Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I don't really fancy a tablet to be honest, having done a wee bit of research on the internet. I like my trusty laptop.

12. Diane102290

Diane102290New Member

Threads:
    I think that there is a market for both. They both are used for different things. The laptop is basically a home computer that you can travel with. Now a tablet is more of a gaming device that is pocket size and quick internet access. Anyone that has one of these 2 products will eventually get tired of having just one of them. I think these are easy electronics to advertise and market.

13. NadineTorres0910

NadineTorres0910New Member

Threads:
    The more machine we build the more easier and accurate we work nowadays.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All I know is I will never convert to touchscreen only, so if that happens, I'm out of the tech world lol. I will not buy anything that doesn't have a keypad. I currently have a phone with no keys and I despise it.. turned me off forever. Love me some laptop!

15. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, tablets are expensive and have less capabilities than a laptop (at the moment). But have you already seen the tablet/laptop hybrid called the transformer pads? They could function as a laptop and you could also detach the screen and use it as a tablet. If manufacturers could focus more on this, I think laptops would be in real trouble.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people just hate typing on touch screen devices, and I am one of them, so for sure the laptop market won't be disappearing in the future. The only thing that I find endearing in tablets is when you can read an ebook while lying down, as compared to desktops and laptops.

#16Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  17. saveraddict

saveraddictMember

Threads:
    Certainly there is a market for both. First of all if you do a lot of typing you definitely need a laptop. You can use twitter on a phone or tablet, but you can't write a paper or business report. In addition because of their greater size laptops will always be more powerful than tablets, just as they will be less powerful than desktops, but we don't compare those. Tablets on the other hand are more portable, and for what they do well, they are more convenient.

In fact most people that have a laptop a lot tend to buy a tablet as well, and have a smartphone also. I certainly am one And we find uses for all of them.

18. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    There is definitely a market and for anyone that is on the go and really has business to tend to, they will more than likely have both as tablets are getting more powerful. A light Bluetooth keyboard with an even lighter tablet will be what you see more often than not and people will also get used to quick input on a touchscreen.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I feel like tablets are being forced on consumers and that there is more of a hype about them being pushed by manufacturers than there is really a demand or need for them. My big problem with tablets is that they are all essentially throw away devices that manufacturers are hoping people will be purchasing new ones every year just like many are doing with smartphones. People buy laptops far less frequently than they do tablets - not to mention when you buy a laptop with Windows, it will continue to receive updates for years down the road. There are people still using laptops with Windows XP, for example. However, tablets with Android regularly stop receiving updates with the latest versions of Android in a matter of months of them being released. They are more or less useless within a year. I bought a Lenovo tablet last year, and after a few months I couldn't install many apps because they needed the latest version of Android to run.

20. mareebaybay

mareebaybayActive Member

Threads:
    I think laptops and tablets will never go off the market. There will always be a need for laptops and tablets. I also think laptops and tablets will stay on the market the longer they continue to advance.