Laptops with no CD compartment

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by ExpertAdvice • Oct 8, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I recently bought two Laptops, one HP and one Acer brand, to my surprise, neither has a CD compartment. I immediately thought to myself that, "are CD's becoming obsolete"?and, then I answered myself...no! so then, why is it that these Laptops are not equipped with a CD compartment? I would really like to ask the manufacturers of Laptops to stop cheating us from what we really deserve, all Computerized equipment must come with a CD compartment. The only reason I didn't send it back is because I really cannot be bothered to be out of a computer at the moment, so I guess I'll just...stick with my no CD compartment Laptop, at least it's cute.

2. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    Not to play Devil's advocate but CD's aren't as popular as they were even just a few years ago. Most games and software are offered for automatic download now, not everything has to come on a CD to be used. I have a Macbook Pro with a CD drive and I never use it. The last time I did was over 10 months ago. My sister just bought a Macbook Air and they don't come with CD drives anymore. There are plenty of tablets that double as laptops nowadays and they come with USB slots, nothing for a CD.

I think it just depends. I feel like within the next five years, CD drives are going to continue to disappear from laptops. I might be wrong but it is a possibility.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't put up with a laptop that doesn't have a CD compartment. I have a big selection of CD's and DVD's that I like to play on my computer. I can't be bothered with having everything on tiny USB sticks that I can easily lose. Besides, it would take me a lot of time to transfer the material from my disks onto sticks. To be honest, I am tired of things changing so quickly and becoming obsolete. I am old-fashioned and like to stick with the things I know until I am ready to move on.

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Are we talking about the CD drive? If yes, I think that there really are some laptops that do not come with them. When I window shop for laptops, sellers often charge more if you want your laptop to have a CD drive. Maybe that is the reason why.

5. rezonate

rezonateNew Member

Threads:
    Smaller laptops usually don't have an optical drive but you can purchase an external CD drive for your laptop. It's just as effective and works quite well. The only thing about it is that you'll have one more thing to carry with you everywhere you take your laptop. I suggest shop around, look for a laptop that has an optical drive. There are a lot of small models that has an optical drive. Having an optical drive is important because you can install softwares or programs that are on a disc onto your computer.

6. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought a CD reader would be a 'must' for me but mine happened to stop working nearly two years ago. At first I was upset and planned to get it fixed but I slowly forgot. Now it is almost two years later and I haven't need it a single time. It has really made me reevaluate the need for it in the future. Most software or drivers these days are available for download. I download all of my music digitally too. It's different for everyone but I've gotten used to going without one.

7. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Wait a little, aren't DVD readers able to read CD's too? Last I checked they were :confused: Because I know that CDs are out of fashion but DVDs are still going strong - and not all of us like the trend of buying everything in digital form, especially games. Anyway, it's a money grab not to pack such basic hardware in a new laptop, maybe they imagine you'll buy an external reader.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    CD's and DVD's are wasteful. A CD only stores about 700mb of data, and a DVD only stores about 5GB of data. You can easily get a memory stick that stores way more than that for less than what you would pay for a pack of those CD's/DVD's. If any company needed to provide you some software, it would be more convenient to deliver it to you on a memory stick than a bunch of CD's or DVD's, or simply make it available for download.

Plus CD's and DVD's are prone to scratches and being damaged to the point where they can no longer be used.

I don't necessarily think it's a money grab, but rather a way for manufacturers to meet consumer interest in sleeker, thinner, lighter systems.