Learning "frugal" Skills?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Denis Hard • Feb 18, 2016.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's so much free information on the net that anyone could learn virtually anything if they wanted. For people who want to save money then learning skills [such as making detergents, sewing, doing repairs at home, etc] should be something they do in their free time.

Do any of you try to learn new skills that will in the long run save you some money?

2. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to learn how to cut my own hair to avoid having to go to the salon on a regular basis. I'm also trying to find out the things I could do with old clothes and recyclable materials such as newspapers and bottles. Just last month, I was able to make a hat out of old newspapers and I'm planning to do more one of these days. they could even be a good source of income on the side once done well. :)

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I make my own laundry detergents sometimes, although partly because my skin can be sensitive to the harsh chemicals that some companies seem to add to their products.

Like @gracer@gracer said, I cut my hair to avoid the salon, and recycle whatever I can into new products so that I don't have to throw away perfectly good things. I cover cardboard boxes (either paint them or cover in fabric) to make storage boxes or desk tidies, use plastic bottles to water plants more efficiently in the garden, use jars and cans to hold pens or pencils, and I've even turned an old wooden slatted single bed into a set of shelves for the living room!

I also like to make my own food where possible instead of buying it. From growing vegetables in the garden to making my own soups and sauces instead of buying them from the shop.

4. atlmom5

atlmom5Active Member

Threads:
    I actually learned a lot about gardening from the internet. My daughters and I are learning how to sew from the internet, and few months ago, I actually fixed my dryer from a Youtube video. All I needed to do was purchase the part that was needed which was less than $20 and it was fixed. I wonder what the cost would've been if I had called a repairman?

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also cut my own hair, and have done so for years now. I'm considering going to a lower end salon when I get some money just to touch up the shape and the length in the back, where it's difficult for me to reach, but I never liked having to rely on a salon for hair cuts or manicures on a regular basis. Not only do I think it's a waste of money and unnecessary, but I like to think of myself as independent, and don't like to be overly reliant on outsiders, even those who are providing services like that.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is a great idea especially for the reason that the information is already there. I myself would love to put up a garden to save on money for vegetables but unfortunately we don't have the space and I think that may be one problem that I can't solve just by looking it up online, especially since electricity is also very expensive here so keeping the lights on constantly to grow an indoor garden wouldn't be too practical. I try to do it for other things though as much as possible it's good to learn a new skill when that skill can end up saving you a few dollars.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Currently, I am learning or (re-learning ) how to sew. I thought it would be difficult, but I am finding some great tutorials on YouTube. Sewing is worth the time and effort because I make clothes to fit my body. Also, I like certain styles that aren't always in fashion.

Sometimes, the time it takes to make something could be best spent doing something more productive. There are a lot of things I could make, but it's just easier to buy it.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I learned how to cut my own hair on youtube, I save a lot of money with printable coupons and I save on gas by walking or riding my bike. I live a pretty frugal lifestyle and I earn money online. If I didn't have the web it would be pretty hard to learn frugal tips. The library has some tips but they are pretty outdated.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I'm learning more about cooking. I love to cook and the internet is amazing for recipes. I used to collect recipe books but now I can find all the recipes I need online for free. I can save time by searching for recipes based on what ingredients I have or by flavours. We may be in the mood for Greek or Chinese and I can just search out some great recipes and make them at home. I know by learning to cook restaurant quality food my family and I have saved hundreds of dollars each month by not going out to eat. I feel confident in my abilities to make a great nutritious supper for my family. I love searching for new recipes to try and my family enjoys having new and different meals.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've learned how to sell things you have and to lighten your load at home. I got to watching American Pickers and Antique Roadshow and found we could sell things we have from 3 generations of living. It isn't easy for you have got to lug things around, meet new people who will go through your home like the American Pickers do and you got to make up your mind to sell or not to sell. It is a learning experience for doing this for it's so different from retail selling. Watching The Pawn Stars taught me to be brave and walk into the pawn shops around the neighborhood or in town to try to sell some items that they may be interested in buying. We do have antique shows where one pawn shop owner say to go and try to sell our thing at, but I don't want to do that for I know nothing of the items we are selling. We had a family run retail store and we throughout over 30 years of business got a lot of silver coins that we sold too, which is not easy to do, but we did it! So much still to learn that made us money, saving our space and saving money too for we now have less but more money. Still learning a lot now too about being frugal.

11. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember enrolling in a candle-making workshop before. But a week before the start, the workshop was cancelled (I forgot why). We were using candles before when we have house guests and I had wanted ot make my own candles. But my husband said that I have no more time to spare for that workshop that is slated for 4 weekends. Such a big investment of time. So it is cheaper to just buy fancy candles for dinner guests.

12. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy frugal skills such as gardening in order to grow food for myself and my family, as well as preserving food from the garden. Canning and freezing home grown fruits and vegetables can be very rewarding and can really help to stretch the grocery budget.

I recently got back in to sewing after not doing it for years. I do not see myself sewing clothes for my family, however, I can see myself sewing craft projects for gifts and household needs in the future.

13. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One time when I lived in another house we learned how to fix the garbage disposal from a website. I would like to learn to cut my own hair, but don't you need to purchase hair scissors? I would be afraid if I cut my own hair it would look like it. My sister has cut her kids hair for years. She does a pretty good job, they always look decent.

14. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I really feel proud when I can learn a new frugal skill. When I get bored sometimes then o will just go online and try to learn something new. When you dig deep and see how homesteaders live and make the things they need, you can stand to save a lot of money and take advantage of the free things in life. I want to learn how to make body lotions and healthcare things from the plants that are available where I live.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm trying to learn new stuff all the time. I only wish I'd had access to so much information earlier on. Back in the day (ha ha), we used to go to the library for books on stuff like home improvement. Granted, there are some good and helpful books out there, but it's so much simpler to find a good youtube video or even a step by step tutorial with pictures.

Some books may have tutorials, but I'd rather compare the various ones online. I also like that I can make the pictures bigger if need be.

You really can find just about anything these days, and yes, it can help you save a lot of money.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think we should all try to change small things about our lives to help us save money, however we cannot do everything, and nor should we try to particularly. The issue when you try to take all of the advice is that it begins to take over your entire life, and this is something that you should of course be trying to avoid if you can. So you should take some of the advice, sure, but don't be too obsessive over it if you can.

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you looked into the Crea Clip for cutting your hair? I am thinking about buying a knock-off one from Amazon (not spending $30 bucks for it, but for like 5 bucks for the knock-off, I'd give it a whirl). I never like the way they cut my hair anyway, so I hate paying so much to go to the salon.

Upcycling is great. It's not only frugal but also very creative. I love it.

I used to know a lady (internet friend) that was a total "live off the land" kind of person. She made everything herself. The neighbors were the same, and they worked together and shared things. The neighbor had a cow and would trade them milk for eggs from their chickens, etc. She and her husband retired early, with all the money they saved.

18. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:
    The only thing I try is things that will help me to save, but not how to make things. For instance, if I hear about a special clearance somewhere I may go and see if my store has the same clearance. I also learn a lot about saving money from what other people do. Another example, one guy said that when items are on sale at the store buy as many as you can of that item at the sale price. So you won't have to run back to the store when the product is used up and then pay the full price.

19. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't looked into it yet but thanks for mentioning Zyni. :) Basing on what you said, I'm having the idea that it can be of great help for cutting hair on your own instead of spending a big amount going to a salon. I also hate it when hairstylists don't get what I really want for my hair. I only end up going to another salon to get the kind of hairstyle I want so it would be another spending for me for that matter.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No problem. I think it looks like a cool idea, and it might just work. A couple of my daughter's friends have tried it and liked it. They bought the brand name, but they are also very brand conscious right now (I'd rather pay less if I get the same results, so I don't care that much about the name).

Yeah, even if you got a good deal on your visit to the salon (gift card, coupon, beauty school, etc.), it doesn't end up being a good value if you hate your haircut when you leave. That's why I'm considering trying the Crea Clip. I'm thinking that it couldn't be any worse than some of the "stylists" have done, and if it does work, it will quickly pay for itself.