Learning To Cook Just The Right Amount

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Apr 7, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since the number of people I'm currently cooking for is smaller now, sometimes, it's difficult to plan just the right amount of food. I was used to cooking certain amounts of regular recipes. While some foods work well as leftovers, or can be made into other dishes, this isn't true of all foods.

I don't want leftovers to end up wasted, so it's been an adjustment learning how to cook less of the same things. I can't quite cut the recipes in half, so it's a learning process.

If you are now cooking for fewer people, I'd love to hear any tips you might offer.

2. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    I cook for a family of three and never have any clue how much to make. It's not my fault I swear lol. Sometimes my kids are picky and don't want what I make so there are tons of leftovers or they love it and I haven't made enough. In most cases I bust out the crock pot and make tons. I figure anything made in a crock pot tastes great as leftovers. I also take my crock pot creations to my sister for her family. You just can't go wrong that way.

3. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have any kids so I only ever cook for two people. I still manage to end up with far too much pasta or rice though. It's deceptive stuff and always looks a lot less than it actually is. I've tried weighing out portions in the past but again, it always falls short. So I add a little more and end up with too much! It's a vicious circle.

4. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    My partner and I have just separated. Considering he ate nearly as much as me and our four children put together, I am now having to adapt to cooking significantly less. I found this hard work at first, but soon learnt to adapt the portion sizes. Once I had realised how much was left over from each meal, I adjusted my cooking accordingly. Another thing I do is to make something like a joint of meat. However much is leftover dictates what we have for a meal the following day. Another tip is to make less of the main component of your meal and serve a large salad that people can help themselves to and can easily be replenished if necessary.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i also cook for fewer people now. The teenagers often do not want to eat what I cook so I ask first are you going to eat what i cook. It does help to avoid having food to throw out or waste my time cooking.

6. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    This is a huge problem I have. I always cook for twenty. I suppose there are worse problems to have but sometimes it's a chore finding mouths to eat it. I usually store the meals individually so its easier for my family to eat. They all seem to have a difficult time making their own meals. Also my fault.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think you just need to get used to it in general. After a while you'll get used to cooking for that amount of people and a natural routine will just emerge. In the meantime, just try and focus on dishes that are easy to cook and store such as stews or pasta and sauces, you could also try cooking soup and storing them in the freezer in separate individual containers.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've been cooking for two people, just me and my husband for many years. We don't have kids, so It makes it a little bit easier I think. It takes some getting used to, especially if you're more accustomed to cooking for many people, but you'll soon get the hang of it. It takes a lot of trial and error, I must say. It's also dependent on your portions. I usually get it spot on, or we may have a little left over, but not much. So It'd be hard to give pointers, really. I'd just say gauge it on how much each one of you eats and take it from there.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is one of my issues as well. I tend to make too much of both rice and pasta. I can usually find a way to use them, but it seems like I can never get it just right.

I also agree with you, Pat. That's part of my issue. I don't know if my teen will be picky on a given night, if a friend will show up, if they will be full from snacks while they were out, if the friend will stay to eat... lol. Teens can be a handful. They make planning tricky. Of course, if it goes too far, they can make their own!

10. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I often like to cook, either if that's just for me, a couple of people or a large group of friends. BUT...I have to admit I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to judging how much ingredients I need.

I like to think I'm a bit of a Jamie oliver and don't need to weigh or measure anything out, I cook by sight and taste, which I guess isn't a bad thing. The bad thing is that I normally end up eating the left over for two days after. And that after all the guests have took some home and live been round all the neighbours offering them some as well!

Pasta dishes I make quite a lot and that's also probably the worst to judge. It never looks enough until its cooked...and then its taken over the kitchen!