Least expensive things to do to exercise

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Konstantina • Apr 3, 2012.

1. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Are you looking for ways to exercise that will cost you no money at all? Well, we all are. Gyms offer many discounts but they are still very expensive. Here is a list of things that you can do.
    Use the stairs instead of the elevator
    Get off the bus one stop earlier so that you can walk a bit more to reach your destination
    Walk the neighbour's dog
    Baby sit! You can actually make some money running after kids
    Clean your house, especially the windows
    Make use of everything you can to save some cash. Any other good ideas?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    If you have access to the coast or a river and the climate is good, swimming is free. Even if you have to pay to use an indoor pool, it's one of the cheapest ways to exercise, especially if you take advantage of concessionary rates or off peak prices.

Invest in a cheap bat and ball set and either have a game with someone else, or play alone against the wall of your house. You'll be amazed how much running around you do. Check out the outdoor toys section next time you're shopping and see what you can use for exercising.

3. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Agreed, swimming is great! Make use of that pool in your backyard if there's no sea or pond nearby :p Walking/jogging is a great alternative, especially for those who live in the suburbs.

4. Dude

DudeMember

Threads:
    For me, I just run and do pushups rather than paying for a gym. If you aren't a runner, go out and give it a try! Start out small, at anywhere from one to four miles, and you'll be surprised by how fast you develop your running prowess.

Those are all great ideas! I think that biking to places instead of driving/taking the bus works wonders as well. You save money, get exercise, and save the planet.

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Gallon milk jugs. Seriously, refill them partway with water or sand, etc, and they're perfect to use as weights. The same goes for using canned goods for hand weights. You can also prolong certain activities to add in extra workout time, like making extra trips to get the groceries out of the car instead of trying to carry in as much as possible in one load.

6. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Good idea for the large weights, Jessi. I also like the idea about prolonging activities. When I clean the windows, I put on some pretty fast music and work away to it. I clean each window for at least one track - two for the patio windows. The windows end up sparkling, and I'm nicely out of breath, which means I've had a good workout. I do the same when I clean the marble floors.

7. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    There are many free ways to exercise. Simply jog, walk, do jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, etc. A pair of hand weights is really inexpensive and very useful, as well.

8. scottyxx

scottyxxExpert

Threads:
    I think going for a run, or going for a walk are your best options. These cost nothing!

I always motivate myself when walking by taking my camera with me. I go a nice walk along a river, or though a forest, and take as many interesting pictures as I can whilst I am out. It is a great way to get yourself moving! Once your are confident in walking, you can work up to going for a run, and just listen to music to keep yourself motivated.

9. Pandorical

PandoricalActive Member

Threads:
    Some good ideas on this thread that I might have to 'borrow'. Thanks for these!

10. calvinandhobbes

calvinandhobbesNew Member

Threads:
    Well there is the obvious one, running. But also hiking is a fun one, and it is fabulous exercise. It can be rewarding in many ways.
    Also, I live on the 6th floor. I always take the stairs unless I really can not. So I would recommend always taking the stairs when you can. What have you got to lose? You get exercise its a good thing! With elevators you have to wait for it and you do not gain anything from it. So I would definitely recommend taking the stairs whenever possible.

11. brandontnguyen

brandontnguyenNew Member

Threads:
    Resistance bands are extremely cheap and very good for working out. But I personally like to do body weight workouts. I think those have the most practical usage in all honesty.

12. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    Swimming, running, hiking all work really well but you can also do something called 'Calisthenics'. It is basically using your body weight to train and there are many guys that get very fit, muscular and toned by doing this. It includes doing compound exercises like pushups, situps, pullups etc. There are quite a few videos on Youtube and many articles all over the internet on Calisthenics. It is basically free and you can get some amazing gains from it.

13. jrkrizco

jrkrizcoNew Member

Threads:
    I love cranking up the music and just dancing!!! Those "Just Dance" Wii video games really make me work up a sweat! Walking is another one on my list. My husband is faithful to pull-ups, push ups and weights. He also does jiu-jitsu, which is awesome.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I try walking or riding my bicycle for free exercise. Now that the weather has finally warmed up, it is so nice to get outside and enjoy sunshine and fresh air again!

15. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Great tips. Thank you very much. My favorite is just going for a run or a swim. I have been thinking of getting trampoline. I have been reading so many great things about it...also, a book that a friend gave me said that rebounding is a superior form of exercising.

There is the cost then of the mini trampoline...but you can use it an unlimited number of times, with no monthly fees. Also, hula hooping and jump rope (again, just tiny investments).

16. melmac

melmacMember

Threads:
    Its funny because people think in order to exercise, you have to use equipment to get an effective workout. The least expensive and fun thing you can do to exercise is turn on your favorite music and DANCE! So much fun and you can really get your heart beating.

17. mariaandrea

mariaandreaMember

Threads:
    I exercise daily and don't pay a dime. I go running and walking and head to the outdoor track of the nearby high school to go around their track after hours and up and down the bleacher stairs. I borrow FREE exercise DVDs from the library which is awesome because if you get bored with one type of workout you can just do another - belly dancing, kickboxing, hip hop, pilates... My son has a set of weights (dumbbells) and I use those and do calisthenics for strength training. It's really important to get exercise in every day but it's really easy to do it for free.

18. kingusama92

kingusama92Active Member

Threads:
    Body weight exercises are effective in toning your body.

All those fancy machines and free weights are fine, but they are not the only resort for people.

Doing exercises such as push ups, sit ups, chin ups and pull ups are great tools for working out. As long as you eat healthy and maintain some sort of strict exercise plan, you can make gains through those body weight exercises.

For cardio, it's even easier. Just run. Simple as that. Run anywhere.

19. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I go for walks in the park to stay in shape. I also watch what I'm eating to make sure I don't get too heavy. Clean your yard if you have one, or cut the grass. Find little chores to do that require a bit of effort to complete. After you've been working out all day you should sleep like a baby.

20. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    The simplest and cheapest way for me to exercise is to walk up and down the stairs. I live on the 14th floor. Of course, I haven't done all 14 floors at one go yet. However it's a target.