Leggings to work?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by isabbbela • Aug 19, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work in an automotive company, and as the headquarter offices are inside the factory, you don’t need to wear formal outfits. Casual to business casual is OK. Many people even wear tennis shoes and light colored jeans, and many girls do wear leggings. I decided to wear leggings today, but for some reason I didn't feel comfortable wearing them. I much rather suck it up and wear pants or dark jeans instead!

Do you think it’s fine to wear leggings to work, would you wear leggings to work?

2. jmg707

jmg707New Member

Threads:
    Don't do it unless you can completely covered your tush!!!! Leggings are not pants :) If you can pair them with some great boots and long sweater or tunic it might work. If not, stick to basic, dark denim.

3. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think leggings are right for work. Some people have heavy thighs and do not look good in leggings long shirt or not. They are also too tight, what happened to dress codes.

4. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I would err on the side of caution and not wear leggings to work, and if I did I would certainly make sure my top covered my bottom. I think if you want a comfortable look there are now some heavier fabric cotton spandex straight leg pants or cigarette pants that are comfortable and also extremely versatile. I wouldn't wear leggings to the office just because I would be worried they were a little too casual for even a laid back office.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At work, you never know if you have a meeting so I would probably not wear leggings. I would always look smart but casual in case a client came or I had to interview someone when I worked in recruitment. I have seen some people wear leggings, but even for an office it can look too casual depending on the industry.
    I once wore yoga pants and a cashmere sweater, it was comfy, but I didn't do it again as I felt it was too casual.

6. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I think if they're a solid color, and you can't see through them, then they would be completely fine. Personally, I probably wouldn't do it, depending on where I worked, anyway. I would just either wear khaki's or jeans, but that's just me.

7. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Great question! Today, my supervisor showed up in dark leggings. They looked alright but still came across as unprofessional. Plus, most people don't have bodies that look good in leggings. They need to wear long tops to cover up their dimples and bulges.

8. lilygracer

lilygracerNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with all of the previous posts. They are cute to wear, but are not professional enough to wear to work. I consider them to be in the same category as tights and panty hose. And a lot of the time, they are too sheer that they do not cover the rear. So I would err on the side of caution and stick to pants and dark jeans.

9. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Agreed. They're not a replacement for pants, so simply make sure the shirt or dress you wear with them will cover far enough down.

Ultimately, if you're not comfortable, though, then don't do it!

10. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was at the post office behind a woman wearing leggings and you could literally see the hearts on her underwear through them. If you're going to wear leggings in a setting like that, make sure that they aren't see through and that you have a long enough shirt, tunic or jacket to cover your butt.

11. Mochaisis

MochaisisNew Member

Threads:
    I work in a business casual environment, and I actually wear leggings all the time. However, as another poster said, you must wear a top that covers your tush. If the top is too short, you end up either looking too casual, or too sexy, neither of which is good for a work environment. I either pair mine with a long tunic, a sweater or a long cardigan, but I've seen some women wear them under dresses as well. I also would not suggest wearing any printed leggings to work either. I normally opt for a basic black or grey, and I'm going to be making a navy blue pair this weekend. Overall, I love wearing leggings to work. They are very comfortable, and depending on how you wear them, they can look somewhat conservative as well.

12. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it is appropriate to wear leggings to a work environment. Unless you work at a fitness center or something as such, you should stay away from wearing leggings. I say as long as your job does not have a problem with it than you are okay. I have a friend who works in a boutique that allows her to wear leggings.