Lesser known brand phones with good specs

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Athenagdlyt • Apr 6, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    In the hopes of saving money on gadgets, have you tried buying phones that are of lesser known brands? I have seen some phones from stores based in China that have monster specs, rivaling those released by Samsung and Sony but are price at a fraction of the cost of the branded ones. I'm getting curious particularly on brands like Oppo, Xiaomi, and Jiayu. I don't know about the other brands. What can you recommend?

2. AB9100

AB9100Member

Threads:
    Yes. Those devices are really cheap, but the question is. Will they work in the mobile service providers in America.

The answer is no. They will not work in the United States. The mobile phone companies in America only provide service to phones that are specifically designed to work on their network. So, buying those phones would be a waste of money.

Sprinthas a bring your on phone program, but it only includes. Boost Mobile, and Virgin Mobile phones.

3. thephantom638

thephantom638New Member

Threads:
    Oppo, believe it or not, is actually rated as a pretty good phone manufacturer, with their flagship phones being rated pretty highly on many sites/YouTube review channels, these phones also having a very clear advantage over other Chinese produced phones, which are fully loaded with bloatware and lacking severely in overall quality. The specs of the phones they release are amongst the, if not the highest in China, matching the specs of phones produced by the likes of HTC, Samsung, etc. I have an oppo find 5 and it works really well, so I'm speaking from experience here.

4. blackbagel

blackbagelMember

Threads:
    You can buy the higher end Lg phones. They are sort of less known than the bigger brother Samsung. However the phones made by LG matched the specs on Samsung and even surpassed them on LG G2 because right now, people would say it's the fastest phone on the market right now till Samsung S5 comes out.

5. TomRalphio

TomRalphioNew Member

Threads:
    I keep hearing about all these Indian companies that are making pretty decent phones in the 200$ range. One is called Micromax, and while they don't have snapdragon processors and perhaps the newest version of Android ( 4.4.2 at the moment), they actually are quite good. Decent cameras, storage space which is usually expandable and removable batteries. And if you know some modding you can fine tune things further and make things run excellently.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with a new brand that has a good phone. I am sure there are so many companies these days that are making a lot of smartphones at a very cheap prices. I think so long as it can perform well then you should go for it. Performance it the key here. Some Apple products are just overrated but are sold at high prices.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It seems like Arc Mobile is a good brand, my dad has one and he's using it for about a month now, and so far the phone seems to function well. It's quite cheap too. I guess you can also try Alcatel, it's a veteran brand already, but it's less expensive than the other brands.

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    If you're going to live outside the U.S then they might be of use, but inside the U.S. well, I don't think so, I mean you can. But spec wise and price-wise, then they're good. These cheap phones are really nice enough for the price, I mean some of them have equal specs and performance compared to iPhones and is quarter of the price, but I wouldn't really say they would last that long. I mean, you can't have something for nothing.

9. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Wow you got me on an hour or two spree of searching for phones from smaller brands. It's quite interesting, I think I might end up buying a phone from one of these suppliers if I can find one that accepts service in Canada (specifically Rogers). The quality looks pretty high too, I'm looking into the Micromax Canvas Knight. It seems almost Apple quality, and it's pretty cheap.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think some lesser known brands can be competitive, but even then, the only ones that do seem to still be on the expensive sides, and since this is the case, it makes me curious why people wouldn't just go for the known brands then. Still, I do like how some of the obscure brands of phones look, and my particular favorites are Jolla and Oppo. There's also a recently launched brand called 1+, but it seems as though they are not available for retail yet and instead only being sold through invites. I'm sure they will start selling to the public before the year ends.