Let's Talk About Borrowing From The Hotel...permanently

Discussion in Travel started by MrsJones • Mar 13, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Did you know that many hotels really don't have a problem with toiletries being taken after guests check out? I read an article about whether or not taking those items are considered as theft and for the most part no, but what is and has been an issue are articles such as towels, bathrobes, hair appliances and even larger items like pictures and vases, pillows. One extreme example mentioned, a moving van being pulled up to the hotel and cleaning out the whole room! Wow, I limit myself to only toiletries and stationery as tokens of remembrance but a whole room!

Now if I put my investigative hat on it wouldn't be hard to figure out the last registrant of that particular room...unless they gave an alias. Seriously though, did just an inkling of guilt surface as that 'token' of remembrance made it's way into a suitcase? You don't have to answer ... take the fifth.

So if you could take home any item that you really, really liked while staying at a hotel the article stated to ask management maybe it could become yours... permanently. Would you ask hotel management for an item that you liked?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Toiletries are definitely fine to take, but nothing really beyond that. Anything that would be considered part of the room and not frequently replaced (like furniture, paintings, bedding, etc) would be theft if you take it. I hate people who do that.

Many hotels will actually charge you if you take items that are beyond reasonable, like for robes, pillows, etc.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with this, stealing is stealing. Most hotels require a credit card before you can even check in, even if you are going to pay the bill with cash. Once they have the credit/debit card on file, they can easily trace down who was in the room.
    This is another good reason that you don't want your credit card information to be stolen. Someone can rent the room, use your information, take whatever they want, and the hotel will come looking for YOU ! !
    Then you have to prove that it was not you who actually are responsible.
    The little soaps and shampoos have to be thrown away once you leave anyway; so you might as well take those along if you can use them, or even know someone else to give them to that can use them. Or keep them for when you have an overnight guest. In any case, they are yours, and taking them is not stealing.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't stay in hotels much. In fact, I don't think that I have ever stayed in a hotel, but when I see free things that are easy to lift - things that I may need in the future, and it is not frowned upon to take them, then I will take them. So I guess I will be one of those hotel people.

As for bigger items, I will not be taking those. I don't care how man times you wash a towel or a robe, it is not mine and many other people have used them. I'd rather leave it where it is.

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also don't really use hotels much, but when I have it's never occurred to me to take anything as I'm leaving. I think I'd take some of the toiletries but I always find them to be low quality compared to what I use, so I leave them behind. I must be boring lol

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take what I am allowed, what I can fit in and what is acceptable. Toiletries are a given and housekeeping will give you as many as you like when you tell them you don't need you room cleaned that day. I have taken the odd towel (have a Hilton one in the bathroom) when I was backpacking and my idea of the microfiber one wasn't working so I took one hotel towel with me.

In Bangkok one had rubber elephants in the bathroom and you are allowed to take those as I asked to buy it. I asked for another, because they have to be a pair and they gave me another.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know about other people but like you, I'm fine with the complimentary toiletries (toothbrush, shower cap, body soap, shampoo, shower gel). Why would anyone want to take home white towels with nothing but the hotel's logo in it? Those people are either souvenir hoarders or in direly need of stuff at home. Still, going so far as to clean up the whole room... isn't that stealing already?

8. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Welp this is

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Toiletries are definitely fine since they would be disposed of anyway if you didn't take them. I don't think the hotel really cares about towels since they are quite inexpensive and low quality. Personally I'm not fond of the towels since they don't soak up water very well, but I know many people who take them home as souvenirs and never use them again.

10. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I like that most hotels still give you stationary. I use them to write my Grandmas where we are. Usually I use the shampoos and things while I'm there and don't bring my own. The housekeepers usually give you more if you ask. But I prefer the hotels that will refill it every day if they see it empty and if they do that, then I usually take it off the shelf first thing in the morning so I get more! Saying it out loud makes me feel really, really cheap. haha

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, soap, shampoo and other various other things like sealed refreshing towels, sweets, etc. are all included in the price. But taking towels, bed sheets or blankets with you, would definitely be theft in my eyes. Anything that belongs to the inventory of a room, such as furniture, vases, bed covers, etc. should remain there. Always remember, that they've got your credit card details and ID. It's not hard to track thieves down.

12. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I also take with me stationery and toiletries. Once when my only shoe broke, I was able to take home the hotel's slippers and I was not charge for it (maybe it is included among the complimentary stuff).

I have a friend who collects hotel towels but she buys it new at the hotel - not the one that she used when she stayed there. :)

13. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I am sure they don't mind toiletries being taken. In fact I have seen house keepers working floors at hotels. Do you know what happens for the most part to toiletries when they aren't used and the person checks out. Usually they are thrown away since these were sample sizes to begin with and the hotel supplies new ones to all new guest. So, these aren't recycled, so why not take them. As for towels and bathrobes, I can see why this would be an issue. These are laundered and used in other rooms of the hotel. These also cost a great deal more then the samples of toiletries. When I stay in a hotel we might take the toiletries since we know its no big deal, but we never take any of the towels or anything else suppled for free.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If I am staying somewhere and part of the deal for my room is that you get toiletries, then I see nothing at all wrong with taking these things with you when you leave. Because, at the end of the day, you have paid for them, and if you haven't used them then you might as well bring them back and save yourself a little money in the future. However, I would never steal anything like bathrobes that would be used for another guest, because that is just simply theft, no doubt about it, and for that reason you shouldn't do it.

The simple rule that I work by is this: with the things that you use, would they be able to use them again if you used them during your stay? For things like tea, coffee, sugar and toiletries the answer is no, they would have to purchase more for future guests - therefore they work under the assumption that you would use them anyway, so you can take them. With towels, they WOULD be able to use them again simply by washing them, so that is the type of thing that you need to stay away from at all costs.

15. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always thought that the toiletries and tea bags etc were part of the deal you've paid for so I always take them home if I've not used them. I've never taken anything else though, when I go on vacation, there's never any room left in my suitcase for things like towels and robes by the time I've packed for the return journey. In any case, I would hate to take something and find out my card had been charged for it.

16. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have actually had my credit card charged for a towel that I accidentally brought home with me. It was a $10 charge. I took the towel, so I had no problem paying the charge. I usually do take the toiletries - mostly because I usually open them while I'm there anyway. I had a relative who would clear the room whenever he stayed at a hotel. It was embarrassing. He would take the bible from the nightstand and the tissue and the toilet paper from the bathroom. To me, that is a little much and I am glad I only ever had to stay at the same hotel with him that one time.

There's actually a very eye-opening book to the hotel industry that I've read: Heads In Bed: A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles and So-Called Hospitality. The author has worked in the hotel industry for many years and talks a lot about what goes on behind the scenes. He also offers some advice on how to get the best deal, the best things to "steal" from a hotel, and how to get the most from your hotel stay. It was a good read. I have tried a suggestion or two in the past and actually had some success finding a last minute room in a "Sold Out" hotel.