Let's Talk About Coupons....

Discussion in Coupons started by MrsJones • Mar 1, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    There are many of us who value the 'coupon.' I myself have re-entered the world of couponing after being laid off.

The use of the coupon has changed so much over the decades. You can somehow have them on your cell phone and also print them off of the internet. My usual is to cut them out of the Sunday paper each week. I know, I know that's old school and I have a few things to learn but I have a question.

How many coupons can you use on one item?

When I access the coupon section on some of the sites I participate in I come across coupons for products which are also in my Sunday paper. Knowing me I would present both anyway just to see what would happen.

Has anyone presented more than one coupon for a product? What's your experience or that of someone you know?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are several ways these days to get coupons, on your smartphone, the traditional paper one and if you have a store loyalty card it can be automatically added, even for supermarkets. There are sites you input your card number and the coupon is loaded to the card.

I tend only to use CVS coupons and there you can use more than one coupon for example money off then an extra rewards coupon. Some stores offer to double the coupon so they swipe it twice and you can use them on buy one get one free items, so you can end up not paying very much.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it matters to the store, as they (at least the cashiers there) count coupons just like money. I used to think of 'cash' as 'a multi-functional coupon' (one that works on any object rather than just one specific product or brand).

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been successful with couponing; it always seems like it takes a lot of time and organization and all the different strategies and rules are sometimes hard for me to keep up with. But, I have tried it a few times. I think what you are talking about is called stacking coupons -- using more than one coupon to purchase a single item for a larger discount. From what I understand, it depends first on the store's coupon policy. Most, like Target (at least it used to be this way, don't quote me because I haven't done it in awhile) will let you stack a store coupon (a coupon issued for use only at that store) with a manufacturer's coupon (like the ones you get in the Sunday paper) so you get both discounts. People who are diehard couponers get major discounts this way, and apparently some people even get cash back or just end up getting the item for free. I've never been able to figure that out!

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    The 'for free' I can figure out, but the 'cash back' ... must be with 'dollar amount off'-coupons (rather than '% off'). Like I said, cashiers count-up coupons just like money. As long as 'money + coupons' = 'products they let through' at the end of the day, they're successful.

6. mylindaelliott

mylindaelliottNew Member

Threads:
    The use of the coupon has changed so much over the decades. You can somehow have them on your cell phone and also print them off of the internet. My usual is to cut them out of the Sunday paper each week. I know, I know that's old school and I have a few things to learn but I have a question.
    How many coupons can you use on one item?

Unfortunately there is no easy answer. Some stores let you stack coupons. That means you can use the store coupon and the manufacturer's coupon at the same time. I have at times used the coupons on the store rewards card and the coupon insert coupon at the same time. That does not work all the time though.
    Then the other thing is that it depends on the store. Some stores let me do things with coupons that other stores will not. Usually that depends on the store manager. There is no way to tell ahead. I have learned which stores by trial and error.

I hope this helps but I'm afraid it is as clear as mud!

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    :p Maybe it helps to 'open your mind' with the thinking that NO ONE'S BUYING ANYTHING ... that you're just paying the store to let you borrow the things that they borrow from the producers ... a big laundering scheme! o_O:D

8. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Though I do get your point, I beg to differ mythman. As long as my money is depleting out of my pockets I am buying something. I'm just now starting to take advantage of the benefits that coupons presents and that fact is keeping a quarter, fifty cents or even a dollar in my pocket. Not paying full price is the goal, right?

9. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    ... some people like to think their money is 'going somewhere' (so much so that they

).

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting, but mythman this is off topic :rolleyes:.

11. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. A good way to avoid 'paying full' is to know how to pay 'with full-effect'---partly accomplished by 'being aware of the whole "payment"-mechanism' ... sort of like a violinist ;) who knows how the whole orchestra is accomplishing the symphony.

12. sakura

sakuraNew Member

Threads:
    Nowadays I prefer using giftcards or or reward cards to save money when making purchases but using coupons are great too in a certain when I went to go buy some feminine stuff using a two dollars off coupon really help out my spending and I had just now cut out some coupons for cleaning items, a candle and a scented spray so my home could smell nice. I think I'm going to cut another coupon out now but just one last comment coupons are really useful I just wish more discounts came off these items

13. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    See, I don't know where I'm going wrong with coupons. I often find myself at the checkout behind people that have money off coupons, and sometimes it comes to quite a big saving. I often wonder where they get them from? I read a lot of magazines and news papers, browse a lot of websites but I never seem to come across any coupons, letbalone the money off your grocery ones...I'm a bit jealous that I'm paying like £10 more for the same items than the person before me did.

14. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I just started printed off coupons available online. One site is DontPayFull.com. If you are into making money online some sites offer coupons that when redeemed add points to your account.

I only print off coupons for items that I normally purchase. I redeemed some just Sunday along with coupons that were in the store circular and my total was reduced by $24.

15. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have a Publix supermarket that has BOGO , you can use a coupon on the paid item and then a coupon on the free item. At Publix ,you can also stack a store coupon with a manufacturer's coupon. I don't know how other supermarkets deal with coupons, but Publix is pretty lenient.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Couponing was never too big here but got a bit more popular as online sites started to offer them. Usually the coupons are for trips and hotels, as well as restaurants, but never groceries. The way to redeem would be to print and present them at the counter, but the choices are a bit too limited and usually the options don't appeal to me all that much.

17. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Coupons were THE REASON I

(my state's leading newspaper, if you count 'paying readers' rather than the FREE readers brought when restaurant-managers subscribe to the

), as the Daily Oklahoman offers $500-$1000 of coupons in every issue (or maybe I'm overselling it ... check it out for yourself).

I also get coupons from the products themselves, either included in the packaging or through surveys there-advertised. Some places will give survey-information on their receipts (that's how

works---you put some information from your receipt on the site, and in a few days--if there are any lower prices for the stuff you bought (advertised online, usually)--they'll give you the price-difference in credit (and send it to your bank- or credit-card)).

Other than that, just keep an eye out for `em!