Let's talk about gray hair...

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by MrsJones • Jan 16, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    My gray hair began to apear around age 40. I only noticed it because it was just growing in a small patch at the top of my hairline. I liked the way it looked. I began to read about it in books and my attention was drawn to women with gray hair in magazines like length, cut, how much it covered their head. I remember once hearing a coworker talk about coloring her hair. It was just the right amount of 'salt and pepper' as described in one of the magazines I had read and it look very nice on her and I told her that. She decided not to color it. I won't color my gray away because I like it.

What are you thoughts on gray hair?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's a bit disconcerting to think about gray hair sometimes but I don't really mind it that much. Aging is a process we all have to go through and even if I can prolong the onset of gray hair, eventually I'll have to have it. You can dye your hair to any color later in life but I think I'd prefer to sport gray hair hopefully in my 60s onward just to live in accordance with my age.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Right now I do dye my hair because they greys I get really stand out, but not in a good way. They tend to stick out and be very curly and kinky, almost spring-like, while the rest of my hair is straight. I have brown hair and when I get even on single grey that sticks out like that it really stands out. And, because of the curl or kink in them, they tend to be rather unruly, as if they truly want to be the center of attention!

I think I'd have no problem with the greys if they were more consistent or even blended better, but right now I'm sticking with the dye!

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love grey hair! I don't have any yet, but actually can't wait to see how mine grows in. My family usually either gets amazing salt and pepper or all over silver and in either case, I'll be very proud of it and feel absolutely beautiful. I have no idea why people are so ashamed of this sign of aging.. it's far better than wrinkles (which in all honestly, we should also be proud of, but I'm not one of those people either lol.. yet).

5. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I have no problem with gray hair as well. But I really hope for a more silver hairline rather than straight up gray ashes. I'm wondering what the future will hold me cause i'm seriously scared of baldness. Also, i'm just 22 so I have no things to worry, just yet!

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have had gray hair since I was 12-years-old, it's hereditary as my mother was born with gray hair apparently, so I have been dying it for years. While the gray is still in the minority I will dye it, however I tend to do it less these days as it does make the hair dry, coarse and brittle. I limit it to when I go on trips or when I have an event going on rather than redoing my roots all the time as my hair grows very fast.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I had gray hair since I was 14 years old. It runs in our family, since my older sister had hers when she was 12. I really did not mind about it, I was even proud of it. But now that I am older, gray hair seems to be appearing fast. It is not noticeable yet. At one look, one really could not tell if I have gray hairs unless one has to dig deeper into my hair. Maybe I'll consider dyeing my hair, but as of now, gray hair doesn't really bother me.

8. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    Well, is a bit of grey fashionable? I have seen some people look very distinguished and really rock the salt and pepper look. I have even seen some all grey/silver hair look really nice. I think it looks best when the hair is well moisturized. I have dry hair, and at times, my grey makes me look like granny. I do have styles I wear that make the accent nice. I will not dye my hair; especially with chemicals. I am just at a point of acceptance and I am going to do the best with what I have. I definitely have to keep my hair moisturized.

9. RobertCMcElveen

RobertCMcElveenNew Member

Threads:
    yes, true, i also think same.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have a patch of gray hair, but I do have a bunch of hidden white hair strands on my scalp. They aren't really that obvious yet, and when you look at my hair it's still generally black, but I intend to dye them when they get obvious. Grey hair looks ok though, like George Clooney's hair, but not totally white like Harrison Ford's hair, that definitely needs to be dyed.

11. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I have had a streak of white hair since I was a child, it is right on the side of my head above my ear. When I was young it was cool. Now as I am getting older it just matches the greying hair on the other side of my head. I think about starting to color my hair but figure then I will have to keep it up till I die or get to infirm. I don't know, my boss spends a fortune getting her hair down, and when the roots grow in it looks terrible. I am thinking a wig might be good.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you that gray roots look terrible. Most especially when they are in contrast to a dark hair color. Going lighter works better, I believe. If there's not a whole lot of grey, then putting a little gold in your hair will hide the grey for quite awhile.
    You know, though, grey can also look pretty stunning. If it's just a matter of toning it down a bit you might just try a rinse.

13. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have much of a problem with gray hair, it's my hair falling off my head and growing bald that troubles me! Every man or woman who grows old will eventually have gray hair, this is a fact, but not every old human will grow bald which is not a good thing for women at all. Then again, there's hair dyes nowadays, so gray hair isn't as bad for an individual as it use to be.

14. Oyes

OyesNew Member

Threads:
    Gray hair is symbolic to the wisdom of a man. It tells how much wisdom that individual has. That is how I look at it; according to the Bible. I know one may say that they know persons who have in gray hair but act stupidly! That is the rare case. I guess it is specifically for men. Women with gray hair look beautiful too. I always admire them for their gray hair. It also symbolizes changes in ones life: Whether for stress or for age. Therefore, people should allow their gray hair to grow and not dye them or trim them. They are there for a reason.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My mum is in her sixties and loves grey hair! She has started going grey and has been looking for grey hair dye so she can make it uniform. We used to know some beautiful young lady who dyed her hair grey, and it looked so good on her.

I personally don't want to go all grey just yet. I've got one or two stubborn strands at the front, each time I pluck them out, they come back fast than I can blink! If I did get more grey strands at this point in my life, I'd dye my hair.

16. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I started to go grey in my early thirties. I am no ashamed to admit that I started coloring my hair shortly thereafter. This wasn't just a little grey we are talking about but practically my entire head, I was looking almost twenty years older then I actually was at the time. I knew a hair dresser who did it professionally for me. As the years went on not only was my hair grey but also white. I looked really old at that point. I am someone who has to compete with a much younger group of people in the work force so I still color my hair. Maybe its a vanity thing, but for me I can't bring myself to age gracefully just yet.

17. janetsjunk1972

janetsjunk1972New Member

Threads:
    I am in my early 40's and have inherited my mothers gray hair. I definitely color it, and am in need of doing so again very soon. Salons are so expensive though and although I have a guy come to my house who has a mobile salon and charges much less rates because he doesn't have high overhead, it still can be quite pricey. I'm at a point where I think I am going to go back to boxed colors, I just need to find the right one. And my gray hair sticks straight out, as my mother used to say they are like the stray hairs in a Brillo pad. ;)

But have you seen the prices even on the boxes colors? The decent ones are around $20! Having to pay that every month or two is ridiculous. There are a ton of coupons on each in the newspaper and most of them are for boxed hair color. I'm no Coupon Diva but saving $4-$6 is a lot of money and can go towards something else I want. :D

18. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    It's a completely personal decision, everyone should feel free to do what they want with their hair. I've been coloring since I was 24. I found a grey hair at 19, and slowly over the next few years started to find more. By the time I started coloring it was getting impossible to hide them and I did not like how they looked. I was also noticing that my hair color in general was looking likening was fading. I am very happy with the color I have now that is use henna. I have enjoyed changing the shade s little now and then just for fun.

19. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have lots of gray hair. My first gray strand show up when I was 16 years old. I used hennas and cellophanes to color my hair, not just the gray stands.

Now that my hair is very gray, I color it with hennas, but it doesn't last. I did go the semi-permanent, but it was too harsh and thinned my hairline. I know cover my hair with a wig.