Let's talk about Karaoke...

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by MrsJones • Jan 11, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I love me some karaoke! I've never been at a club that includes Karaoke as part of the entertainment but I enjoy watching others do it on TV. Personally I have my own karaoke machines, three in fact. I like others to be able to join in and have their own mike. How about you, do you like to karaoke or watch others?

2. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I do it a lot more now than I used to and I mostly karaoke with my family and friends. I have sang at a few karaoke paces before and it was fun, but the most embarrassing experience was when i was on a cruise ship and a bit drunk... yeah, nothing ever comes out great when you karaoke in that physical and mental state! I recommend not to do what I did, ahem.

Definitely, singing at home and with a partner is far more fun than solo karaoke, but for special occasions I do like to venues that host karaoke, however I prefer private sessions if I am around people who have been drinking because a lot of people do get prideful when heckled about their singing skill. Also, karaoke helps me practice in my singing ability and techniques.

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love it. I love music and I love singing my favorite songs. I believe that I have a moderately good voice (when I'm drunk). I'm not comfortable singing with someone else listening though. I get shy even when I'm drunk.

4. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Where I'm from, everyone's addicted to karaoke or videoke - as everyone fondly calls it. I think we must have inherited this karaoke culture from the Japanese, who introduced it to our forefathers during the four years they stayed in my country at the height of World War II. What's good about karaoke is that it gives you a good practice. After a few singing sessions, you'd be able to learn basic voice maneuvering techniques. Some of my friends have gotten better at singing because of karaoke.

5. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a huge karaoke lover, I mean, I do love watching my friends and relatives singing haha, but when my turn comes I am not very enthusiastic because I get embarrassed to go in front of everybody and sing. I guess there is no reason for that, but I can't make myself comfortable.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have my own Karaoke machine. Well, it's not my machine. It belongs to my older sister from when we were little, and we used to have SO much fun, when we were kids, playing with it, and recording ourselves, only to play our singing back and cringe lol. I have sung live for an audience before, along with two other people being up on stage with me at the time, and it was a lot of fun. Definitely a great experience. But karaoke isn't really my thing.

7. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Back in my country, karaoke is very famous. It is one of the major entertainment source. People just seems can't get enough of it, and they seems to enjoy showcasing their voices, be in tune or out-of-tune. Sometimes it gets to a point that it can become irritating and annoying especially if the one singing is already shouting at the top of her/his lungs and the karaoke volume is at its fullest. This has been a constant source of quarrel among neighbors especially if it is already late at night.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not fond of singing, so a karaoke machine is something I can do without. I don't really mind hearing someone singing in a karaoke as long as it's in tune, but when it's not, I tend to silently complain in my head about the noise they're not ashamed to make, lol!

9. janetsjunk1972

janetsjunk1972New Member

Threads:
    I spent most of my time in the 90's in karaoke clubs. I sang, I hosted, I worked at a karaoke store, I entered contests...it was a highlight of that generation for me. Of course it helped living in Los Angeles where every club had a karaoke night. Now that I'm older and have less money, I can't afford to go out and spend that kind of money on drinks and such for the night. I was posting earlier on another post of videos I've found on You Tube for free for work outs. There are also plenty of karaoke videos on there and so if you spend your nights in and are looking to redeem yourself with your friends, it's all free! You may not have a huge audience and the atmosphere, but hey...free is free. ;)

10. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I like doing karaoke from home on those online karaoke sites and I also like watching other people do it. Back in the day I went to this club that had karaoke and I saw lots of people up on stage singing. I'm not doing karaoke now but I may get back into it later. I love to sing anyway and it's one of my talents but I mainly just do it for fun.

11. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm just not a fan of karaoke, although I know dozens of friends that like heading to a club for some singing every few weeks. I don't mind singing or making a fool of myself for the laughs, but it's not something that interests me as much as simply going to a bar and having a drink instead of singing.

12. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    There are a couple of bars I know that do Karaoke about 3 times a week. I think it's better to go to the bar and hear about it from them (than to search for Karaoke-listings online ... just feels more-appreciative if you're supporting the host and just happen to join-in on the Karaoke ;))

According to

, the machine was invented in Japan (after the popularity of the sing-along and the higher-profitability of 'singing with a recording' over 'hiring a band to play your back-up music'), but the machine was patented as 'Minus-One' by a Filipino.

Maybe it also tells why 'Karaoke' (from the Japanese slang for 'empty orchestra') remained the popular term.

13. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wonder why I am not surprised it was invented in Japan? :D The Japanese do look like the right people to invent it, but in fact it's a huge success and I doubt there are many people that never sang with a karaoke machine. :)

14. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I love singing even though my voice is not that good. Karaoke is one of my favorite activities. In our office we always go to the Karaoke bar every Friday. We do a lot of singing and drinking beer as part of our stress relieving activities.We also celebrate birthdays and other special event inside a karaoke bar.

15. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    The karaoke games they made for Ps2 up to the new generation consoles are pretty good. There's a ranking system & now you can get the games you specifically want as opposed to buying a disc that only has a few songs you like. Great cheap home date with friends where the beers are a tad cheaper.

16. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe it helps to think of it as 'singing in the shower.' (It might help me, if I weren't such an exhibitionist/drama-queen).

17. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I also love karaoke! I remember the good old days when my friends and I used to go to a karaoke bar after our stressful college classes, and just chill around and sing our hearts out to various songs. We've always loved singing "It's My Life" by Bon Jovi. We liked pretending we were real rock stars. :cool: It was always fun hanging out with them. I really miss those days, because we hardly ever talk now. :(

18. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't really enjoy it that much but I'm alright with it. My friends love it so I used to get dragged to some sessions a fair amount in the past but nowadays everyone has different interests. It's still very popular in our country though and you can hear people belting it out on weekend nights during birthday parties or just weekend celebrations.