Liberty Reserve shut down by US government

Discussion in Payment Methods started by BrianWolfe • Jun 4, 2013.

1. BrianWolfe

BrianWolfeMember

Threads:
    I just heard that Liberty Reserve has been shut down by the US government for money-laundering charges. Luckily I had taken out most of my funds and had less than 2 dollars left on my account. Were any of you affected by the shut down?

I started using Liberty Reserve for receiving payments from online affiliate marketing websites. I didn't really make a lot of money but it was fairly decent. I would imagine those having thousands or even millions of dollars in funds in Liberty Reserve to be completely devastated by this shocking news.

2. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    See this is why I stick with PayPal! I have heard a lot of people talk about Liberty Reserve being much better than PayPal and was thinking about joining them, I'm glad I was too lazy to make the switch or I'd be seriously out of pocket right now!

I don't think they should open up again because that money-laundering murkiness will be hanging over the site for ever, better that they refund people their money and keep the site closed.

3. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I, too, am glad that I stuck with Paypal!

4. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    yeah, good i had stuck with paypal, too bad a friend of mine used Liberty Reserve and ended up losing 30 bucks. I told him to use paypal, but he didn't trust it, now he suffered from it.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never had any reason to use Liberty Reserve because I don't do online gambling or Ponzi schemes.
    I'm just a small individual eBay seller, so Paypal is good enough for me.

6. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    $30 is actually not that much, I've heard that people who do stocks or binary options lost a LOT of money, and compared to them, 30 dollars is nothing. This is why I stick to Paypal as well, they're very trusted. I probably lost 23 cents or so in my account which I'm very grateful for.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I had never heard of them before, but thank you for the heads up. I used to like PayPal, but they have screwed me out of over $100+ in fines twice now and I am looking for alternatives. If you accidentally select the wrong payment source with them, they will do absolutely nothing to help you correct it, instead they will make several automated attempts to keep billing the wrong account, possibly resulting in insufficient funds charges from the bank. There is nothing they will do to stop this, even if you give them the correct payment source.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also used Liberty Reserve too, because I sometimes invest in HYIP sites, and I only lost $17 in there. Well if only the owner of LR was honest, then none of this would have happened.

9. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know about liberty reserve. I mean I only use paypal for buying stuff online, so never felt the need to true other avenues but it surely sucks for those who had sizable amounts in their liberty reserve accounts.