Library

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by Ke Gordon • Sep 5, 2015.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you take advantage of the library in order to save money on books? Sometimes if you want to purchase books you can at annual sales. These are some of the ways to get the books of your choice. Our library has some interesting videos as well. I do enjoy going to the library as I can use the internet service there as well. In looking at the videos I also noticed they had some interesting selections.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    The library is one of my favorite places. I love a real paper book, but they can be pretty pricey, so being able to have the experience for free is always a good thing. Not to mention, I’m not someone with a lot of space for possessions, and it’s not too common that I read books more than once or twice. It does happen, but I usually need some time between rereads, so just being able to borrow the book again is a better option than buying it and having it sit on the shelf collecting dust for months or years until I want to read it again.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I could but I can't because I can easily get free books to read online from sites such as gutenberg.

The reason I prefer to download books is because the library in our town is small and they don't have the sort of books which I read. Since I know I won't find books I'd like in the Library I hardly ever visit it. Occasionally I may look around to see if they've made any improvements but most of the time I leave disappointed.

Nonetheless for those who don't like E-books getting books from Libraries is a great way to save money.

4. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! It's amazing that there is free accessible reading material nearby. Libraries are amazing because they also provide a nice, quiet environment to read or work in. My library also has a small bookstore and I've picked up a few textbooks for less than a dollar!

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the library, I get books and movies from the library in our area. We do have large books sales where I have gotten some good books at a very good price a few have been brand new and I was able to give them as gifts.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know that I can access so many books via the library, but I have become very lazy to visit the library. I've become even lazier ever since I got my e-reader and buy eBooks on Amazon. But I do know I could save so much money. I have a feeling though, that some of the stuff I read won't be available at my library, because some of it is self-published.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I agree with you! Libraries has a lot of good books. Most libraries in Hawaii has the latest books on shelves. I access the internet only at the library and borrow their netbooks too. I have a Mother that needs me to be home more now too so borrowing the netbook is terrific! It's popular and we have to wait in line for the netbook borrow, but it's worth it! Libraries have special events like today our library is celebrating a 65th birthday and we got a present of a bag of cookies and a one time offer of ice cream cone from McDonald's! Great!!! Libraries are useful, needed and a great place to use the internet!

8. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I used to go to the library all the time. I don't find myself using it nearly as often anymore, which is a shame, since libraries are amazing resources. I'm glad that they continue to survive, even as books themselves are on the decline. Physical books, anyway. Great way to save money.

When I was in university I used to have access to a seven-floor-tall, enormous library, with books on every conceivable subject. Ahhh, now that place was an experience.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do enjoy looking to see what is available and to find a rare gem. As much as I love physical books I don't have much room these days so I have to be selective. These days libraries have to be selective about what books they stock, so I find old editions are replaced with updated ones.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Yes! I always look at the best sellers list and then put those books on hold at my local library. I love that I don't even have to search the stacks. I just go to the check out desk and my books are right there waiting for me. I also like getting free DVD rentals and music at my library. Now I can stream movies for free with my library card too on Hoopla.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I love my local library and it has saved me a fortune over the years. I borrow books and will take notes on the things I read in them as opposed to purchasing the book and letting it sit on my shelf at home. If I find that I really want the book, I will make a note of it and buy it used on Amazon. My library also offers cheap book sales and free printing so I don't even have to spend money on ink anymore.

12. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I try to get to the library once a month to get a new book.
    Actually lately I have been burrowing books from friends and family.
    Not only are most people happy to lend you a book, they really like to share with you a book they read and enjoyed.
    Also this way I might read something that I normally would not.
    For instance I just finished "I am Malala" which was an awesome, inspirational story that I would not have picked up on my own.

13. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use the local library a lot. It's recently had a facelift and is now a lovely place to sit and read. Although I do borrow books to take home with me, I do like to spend an hour or so just reading whilst I'm in the building.

Many people seem to think that the books at libraries are somewhat outdated. In reality, they usually have all the best sellers - you just need to reserve them as they are very popular.

14. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm reading a book series and am at the end of the ones I own. I'm waiting for my library to fulfill my request for the next 3 books in the series. Once I'm finished with those, I am going to request the next one via inter-library loan from another site. There is one more after that book, but my county library system doesn't have it, so I might have to look farther afield to the next largest city. I still might be able to get it via inter-library loan, but it might take a bit longer to get.

I love when items are available electronically, since I don't have to even leave the house, but am able to e-borrow them. My local library has a drive through window, which is pretty cool. They also have numerous events each month. I noticed in addition to having programs for toddlers and some educational classes (mainly on computer topics), they now have a teen program.

15. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately no - as even though I've always much preferred to read physical copies of books rather than e-books and did at one time enjoy visiting the library - I couldn't now even if I wanted to - as the one and only library in the vicinity of where I live - is now generally only frequented by those who want internet access - rather than for the purpose it was originally intended - of borrowing of books - as there are now way more computers than there are books.

16. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only problem with going to the library is getting the books back on time. I was contacted by the library about a book I had taken out, that I was sure I had returned. Of course, I hadn't! I found it later. Now I will have a large addition to the fine I am carrying. Woe is me! At least they don't insist on me paying the fine. I give them a little bit of cash every now and then when I am in there.

17. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the library. If you know that you're only ever going to read a book once, I don't understand why you would want to waste money buying a book, and it would waste paper as well, which isn't good at all for the environment. You should certainly think about signing up to your local library if you have the chance, because it means that you're able to read books without having to worry about the cost involved.

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I went to the library earlier to pick up the three books I had requested. It's been a couple of years since I borrowed books from the library, and I use a couple of different libraries, so I don't know if the changes I noticed are new or where available the last time I went. There was a section up front for 'hold' items. I decided to see if mine were there, and they were. I was able to pull the books off the shelves and take them to the self checkout area. There I scanned my library card, and then scanned each book, which checked them out under my name. The books were in reusable 'interoffice' type envelopes that I put in the related basket by the check out table. The process was very similar to the self checkout registers at grocery stores.

19. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My family members and I are avid library patrons. We love the library! My mom is the one who got me hooked on the public library as a child. As children, my siblings and I frequented the library quite often and were able to check out as many books as our arms could carry.

My husband, son, and I now visit the library at least once per week. I like to check out cook books, craft books, and children's books for my son. My husband usually checks out fiction novels and sometimes graphic novels. Our library keeps up a very modern collection of movies and television shows on blue ray and DVD, and they can be checked out for free. We often check out a stack of movie and TV show DVDs, which saves us money on television (we do not have cable). Also, our library has a collection of music CD's and even video games, which can be checked out for a week. We hardly spend any money on media because our library has such a great collection to borrow for free.

20. MyPoesies

MyPoesiesMember

Threads:
    I love my library! It has a good selection and you can even borrow DVDs. I love my library's YA (young adult) selection. Unfortunately, I haven't read near as much as when I did when I was still in school. I used to read huge trilogy's in just a week. I don't think I've read one book this whole year. I know, I know, I'm ashamed. I need to go back into my library and get me some more books! Maybe there's a new trilogy that I can get into. :)