Liquid Dishwashing Soap For All Around Cleaning

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Corzhens • Mar 15, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The liquid dishwashing soap is what we use for all-around clearning especially in the toilet instead of the powder cleanser. We find the liquid dishwashing soap potent to include a deodorizing effect. When we fumigate our house (related to the ticks and fleas pestering our dogs), we wash the floor with liquid dishwashing soap using the very wet mop. We also use that mixture in the exterior of The House like the garage and the terrace.

The dishwashing soap is also good for fighting off parasites in plants by spraying a mixutre of 2 tablespoon of dishwashing soap to a gallon of water.

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I really like to use dishwashing doap - Dawn to get grease stains out of my kids t-shirts. I've tried spray and wash and other stain removers and none of them worked until I tried Dawn. It's really is great on grease. My husband likes to use the dish soap when he is cleaning the patio stone in our backyard. Again, it cuts through the bbq grease that splatters. He also uses in the pool to get rid of scum lines. This he uses with a Mr Clean magic eraser sponge. There are so many great uses around the house for dishwashing soap. Thanks for the reminder.

3. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I have oily skin and I use a small amount to wash my face at lest once every two weeks in the summer. It is very drying, but it really gets all of that oil off of my face and helps keep my skin clear. I learned of doing that from the actress Christina Ricci. She was quoted saying she washed her face that way when she was a teen.

4. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Dishwasher soap is an amazing do it all cleaner.
    We also use it for many applications.
    I find it is the most cost effective tool cleaner. I like to work on things that get my tools very oily and mucky.
    Yes the special stuff made just for that application works great, but it's 3x the price! Few drops of dish detergent in a bucket of warm water cleans my tools up great.

Sometimes one of the greatest ways to save money is to take things you already use around your home, and find other applications for it. This is a perfect example of this philosophy.
    Many company's want to sell you marked up application specific products, when things you have at home will work just fine!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use dishwashing soap to clean some parts of the floor when I have given my cat some food and the oil residue is left on the floor. Apart from that, I haven't used it for other purposes, but I will suggest it to my dad to use it for plants.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Ajax brand now makes an "all in one" dish detergent, which I've started using lately to clean the dishes, and it works really well. I would say even a bit better than Dawn, based on my personal experience.

For general purpose cleaning around my place, I usually use some sort of bleach based all purpose cleaner. But for the floors in particular, I prefer to use cleaning strength vinegar or ammonia, since those two really strip the grease and grime off of flooring. The only problem I have with using something like a detergent is that no matter how well you try to rinse if off the floor, some of it inevitably stays behind and becomes tacky as it dries, attracting more dirt and grime.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Sometimes I use dishwashing soap to clean electronics I cannot dip in water. It's great for removing stains that are really stuck in there because dishwashing soap has so much strength in removing these stains that seen stuck there. What I do is I put a drop on a cloth or paper towel and I rub it on whatever plastic surface I need it for then I just rinse off the soap with a damp towel later on. It works great and I can't believe that previously I only ever did it with water and had such a hard time when I could have gotten the stains out in seconds with dish washing soap.

8. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    This really brings back memories for me of my mother washing my hair in the kitchen sink with dishwashing soap. I am not sure why she did it, but that is when I really learned it could be used for anything. On top of that we always use it in the bucket for the car wash. It is usually a lot cheaper than other soaps too, so you can really save if you are smart.

9. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Well I have never used dishwashing soap other than for washing up the wares, washing my hands while in the kitchen, or cleaning the kitchen counters or stove top. From reading all of these posts here, it seems like dishwashing soap can be very versatile. I have never thought of using it in all the ways that I see mentioned here. However, it would be a cost saver to use it in so many varied ways, since it does not cost a whole lot compared to other cleaners. If we bought a separate cleaner for everything, we would be spending a whole lot more. I may be a bit cautious about using it in my hair though, or on my face.

10. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used Dawn in the laundry to get something really sticky stuff clean. I also use in on weeds mixed with vinegar, does a good job. Pinterest has post of all kinds of uses for the basic 3, dish washing soap, vinegar, and amonia.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lots of good tips and ideas here. Dish soap does come in handy for a number of different things. My husband even uses it for his hands after working on the car or lawn mower or whatever. It cuts the grease but also is less harsh on his skin than some of the other cleaners designed for that purpose.

I like the Dawn soap with Oil of Olay in it. My hands get so dry and stuff, especially over the winter. I've always liked Oil of Olay, so I was happy to find this.

I just use the regular Dawn for many other types of cleaning, and for getting anything greasy out of clothing. I was just talking about how well Dawn works when mixed with vinegar.