Listerine "cool mint" antiseptic

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ExpertAdvice • Jan 8, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! this product is overwhelmingly strong. I bought the Listerine a week ago, in the large size. And after two to three days from using it, I've gotten really tired of it. It doesn't explicitly say what the ingredients are, but from using it, I can tell that a lot of alcoholic based substance is used in producing this product. The taste and smell of it has totally overpowered it's effectiveness. The Listerine does get the job done, but it just really doesn't smell or taste right when using it for a long period of time. What I think can be done to solve a problem like this, is to buy another bottle of mouthwash, for example, Crest, and use the two interchangeably. I have never really had a problem with Crest, and I've been using Listerine before now, but, I can't seem to understand why this particular Listerine is so unbearable, have you had a similar experience with Listerine?

2. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    As someone who went from fresh mouthwash to an antiseptic one I can say that it's not recommended to use them for a long period of time. Try to alternate between normal mouth wash and antiseptic one weekly. What I felt was that my taste got numb and food started to taste different. Read the prescription and you will note that it's not recommended for long term use because it can damage the taste papilla.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate Listerine. I have also been told by dentists that Listerine isn't always the best mouthwash to use if you have certain conditions of the mouth. Especially if you smoke, which I do smoke. I have never tried the mint flavor of Listerine. But I have used other versions and flavors of Listerine, and even they were too strong for me in certain instances. So I can only imagine what the mine flavor would be like. I am assuming that it would blow one's head off.

4. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I saw some type of documentary that had a segment on mouthwash, and how they are constantly making new formulas for the market. Maybe Listerine has been made stronger, wouldn't surprise me. I've tried the regular Listerine, but I don't think I've tried the mint flavors, for mint flavors I usually go with Scope. I think that Listerine is a good product, but you're right, it can be too strong sometimes, so it's good to switch up brands every few days or so.

5. Webene

WebeneMember

Threads:
    When swishing with Listerine as my mouthwash, I experience an intense 'burning' sensation in my mouth followed by tears due to the strong mint flavor - not a pleasant experience to say the least. If it is too strong for you, maybe try adding some water to dilute the mouthwash before you use it. Generally, mouthwashes are recommended due to their effectiveness at ridding one's mouth of bacteria and preventing other oral complications, although it has also been argued that regular brushing and flossing are enough to combat these oral complications. Personally, I would use it in moderation and maybe not everyday if it is too intense.

6. emily0531

emily0531Member

Threads:
    Listerine has always seemed very strong to me. I generally don't use it. Another way to keep your mouth clean and healthy is to do what is called an "oil pull." I use coconut oil, but you can use any edible oil. You simply take a teaspoon in your mouth and swish it around for a few minutes (15 to 20 is what is recommended). Then, be sure to spit the oil out when you're done!

7. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Wow! this I did not know!...all because I didn't read,the damage to the taste papilla I think, is the reason why I seem to have a lower appetite for my food nowadays. @Webene, I too get teary eyed when using the product so I know exactly what you are talking about, Listerine just seems to deal you pain that you don't even deserve just for trying to keep your mouth clean. @emily5031, thanks so much for this insight, I'll definitely research more about it, then give it a go when I am much more comfortable about the idea.

8. edthebig

edthebigNew Member

Threads:

Yes. I have bought it before and it started peeling the inside of my mouth and it felt horrible. Then it started to become painful the more I used the product. I stopped and switched to another brand without alcohol, man can I tell the difference. I just went from hell to heaven.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not only is the taste of the Listerine product too strong for me, as a general mouth wash aesthetic. But it has done damage to my mouth before - or rather caused me pain before. In fact there are only certain mouthwashes that go together with smoking? I was reading up on Google about why my mouth was hurting after I had used mouthwash, and it had something to do with these mouthwashes - Listerin included 0 burning away the protective layer of good bacteria, and when you smoked on top of that, it causes problems.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember my eyes tearing up whenever I used mouthwashes like Plax and Listerine before, so I stopped using them. I'm suspicious now of the ingredients they put in there. It is possible that it's harmful to us.

11. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Clorhexidine mouth wash is also prescribed by dentists after intervention to keep the mouth clear. Brands that sell this product also warn for long term use, which is not recommended. It is not too late to switch to another mouthwash or ease a little bit with antiseptic / antibacterial products. Give a few days without taking any and see if your taste buds come back to normal.

12. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I use to always use Listerine when I was growing up. I would always say that I knew it was working because my mouth got all numb and minty. I use mouthwash that doesn't burn the taste buds out of mouth these days. It works all the same, and my mouth is really a lot better feeling after it, I would say that it feels better than after I used the Listerine cool mint way back when.

13. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Listerine in general is a great brand - their products work - but their original line of mint mouthwashes are very strong to the point of burning and a lot of people just cant handle it. They started putting out other flavors though that are advertised to be just as effective but less intense.

14. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    Listerine is very strong, but they say that it is one of the best in cleaning your mouth and keeping your teeth healthy. When I first used it, it was too strong for me too. I actually diluted it with some water to get use to it and then gradually reduced the amount of water until I could handle it. I agree that it can burn in your mouth. So, if you don't want to throw it out, try diluting it even if decide to move on to another brand after you finish your bottle. I can't guarantee the effectiveness of the diluted version, but it is so strong that I assume it is still good.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I stopped using Listerine a long time ago because it physically burnt my mouth and it has fluoride in it. I use Equate mouthwash nowadays, because it doesn't contain fluoride and it doesn't burn the heck out of my mouth. More over, I like using mouthwash over toothpaste, it makes brushing my teeth easier, gets in-between my teeth gaps faster, and freshens my mouth.

16. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I agree that Listerine is too strong. When I first used it, I felt like my mouth was burning that I immediately spilt it out. But then, I find a better way so as not to feel any sting in my mouth. I dilute it with a little water to neutralize the taste. It works well with me and I had been using it since then.

17. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I believe when your body has such a strong, adverse reaction, you have to be intuitive, listen to the Cry's and halt. The body does warn you and it is when we heed the warning, that we save ourselves. I know bad breath is the worst, but illness and pain tumps. Honestly, there are famous products out there that have been known to have hurt some people. I am sure those people trusted the brand and bore the discomfort, rather than listening to their gut. Stay safe out there.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Add me to the list of people who find mint Listerine too harsh. But the old yellow Listerine is good for a lot of uses including a dandruff treatment and skin antiseptic. For mouthwash, I just use ACT.