Liter Of Cola - Great Way To Save?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • May 14, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I can, I always try to go for the liter bottles of cola rather than the single serve ones because the difference in price is only a few cents and I'd be getting a lot more for for my money that way instead of having to buy a small bottle each time. The only thing I don't like about this practice is that by the second half of the big bottle the fizz is mostly already gone but I still consider it worth it since I got more value for my money.

Do you always buy liter too instead of small bottles when it comes to sodas or do you not mind the small additional amount you could have saved for each purchase that accumulates throughout the year?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only buy liter bottles for parties or gatherings, because it does encourage people to drink more and then it goes flat very quickly. That's why sometimes smaller bottles and cans are better and people will drink less.

I think limiting fizzy drinks is a good idea, so I prefer a smaller bottle so I don't drink as much from a health perspective.

3. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too very rarely buy fizz, anyway. I don't drink much of the stuff, as I prefer to drink water and maybe juice sometimes. But if I'm entertaining, I will get a 1-2L bottle of coke or something, fully knowing it will get used up in no time. I always hope that my guests will guzzle the whole lot so that I'm not then forced to finish it off myself LOL I rarely buy the individual cans.

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I don't drink soda.

My mom does. She is always out for ways to save money, and she know that the 2L bottle is actually the cheapest choice (and 2l is the common choice, too, where I live). Except she sort of hates how she just needs it for half a glass (other half is filled with beer), and then feels forced to drink the rest before it goes flat. And it goes flat anyway. So she actually sees it as a better deal for her situation to use smaller size, since she might not get as much for the price, but she does not "waste" as much either, so it is more of a logical count.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, it's far better to cut the soda out entirely, but the two liters are always going to be more cost-effective in the long run compared to 16 or 20 oz. bottles. That's pretty obvious considering the smaller bottles are more expensive than the two liter bottles every single time.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Walmart has these 4 packs of store brand soda in cans for $1 or 4 packs of single serve bottles for $1.25 so I buy those.
    I don't mind the Walmart store brand soda.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It really frustrates me how they are literally charging *more* for the smaller bottles of pop, compared to their larger counterparts at most places. Dollar General does this and it drives me nuts - they will sell you a 2 liter for like $1.49, or you can get a smaller half liter bottle for $1 - but if you get one of their individual serving smaller bottles, they want nearly $2! I remember when cans of pop were only 25 cents, and then went up to 50 cents. Now you need $2 or more just to get a small bottle out of a machine or from a convenience store!

I would still go with the 2 liters, even if the pop goes bad and you end up wasting some of it - at least you are getting more product for your money up front. The smaller bottles are a total ripoff.

If you don't mind drinking off brand soda, Dollar Tree has huge bottles of pop for only $1 - I think they are either 3 or 4 liter bottles. These are perfect for parties when you know you're going to go through a lot of pop at once. No sense in wasting like $4-$5 a piece for cases of pop, when you can buy like 3 or so bottles of these instead and be set.

8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of buying soda at all. I love seltzer water though & I was buying it by the two liters left & right until I realized how much I was spending. Someone ended up buying me a SodaStream & I love that thing & still use it to this day. Is there still a cost? Sure, in the CO2 but they offer decent discounts when exchanging the canisters. It's immensely cheaper overall.