Loews Vs Home Depot

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by KimmyMarkks • Dec 5, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I have both stores in my area. Does anyone prefer one over the other? I am not really familiar with either but am going to be doing some renovations in the next several months. I'm hoping that one of these has a rewards program I can take advantage of.

2. FatAmy

FatAmyNew Member

Threads:
    I think most of the big stores have rewards program so you can go with any of the two. I swear by Lowe's though. I've observed some of their people do work, and they always stand by their customers. I have seen them help their customers beyond their projects even though any fault lies on someone else. They will do whatever the customer wants (within reason) and if they can't do it, it's mostly to protect the customer's warranties.

3. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have both in my area and find that I get what I need more often from Home Depot. Just today, in fact, we stopped at Lowe's because we needed new blades for our jig saw. They didn't have the ones that would work with our saw, so we actually had to go across the street to Home Depot. I don't really have any preference of one store over the other, really. I find them to be comparable in price and usually if one doesn't have what I need, I just go across the street to the other.

I will say, though, that during my trip today to both stores the parking lot at Lowe's was maybe half full and the store seemed less crowded than Home Depot. The Home Depot parking lot was nearly full.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Home Depot tends to have more coupons and vouchers. If you sign up to their newsletters you get an instant discount, then they send you more later on. Also the prices tend to be cheaper, but the styles are more basic, so you should just compare them online, and check for stock levels. It depends on how big the store is and what lines they carry too.

5. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer Lowes over Home Depot. I walked around the store for a while before finding someone to help locate an item and even then he had to find someone to help me. Time wasted. In Lowes I didn't have that problem. Granted their parking lot may be less full because they didn't have a problem finding what they needed or someone to assist them. Being able to get in and out and on to your project is a great thing.

6. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    This is good to know. Yes, I definitely need someone to help me in the store. I prefer someone who is knowledgeable but isn't too pushy.
    I would definitely use one store over the other if they offered coupons, but I will have to look more into their rewards programs.

7. FatAmy

FatAmyNew Member

Threads:
    New to the country, but isn't Home Depot "bigger" than Lowe's?

Here's what I've found on the Lowe's site on

. I think it's better to take advantage of holiday discounts/savings while they're still on. From my experience, Lowe's would honor promotions you hear about even after it's done if you have talked to them about it or purchased part of a project while it's in effect. I'd imagine Home Depot would do the same thing, it's just I'm really more familiar with Lowe's. In general, if you talk to either one's sales associates, they'd do their best to help you with a project.

8. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this! It really helps. I would love to take advantage of the promotions now unfortunately I won't know exactly what needs to be done until after the new year. Hopefully they still have some promotions. I also know a lot of places you can redeem gift cards to these stores so I may look more into that.

9. Corald

CoraldMember

Threads:
    I don't know how good Lowe's is because I have been there a total of one time I think. Home Depot on the other hand I have used multiple times. Shower rods, lighting, garden hoses, diy back splash, you name it I've gone to the home depot and gotten it. The service is scanty but I like the prices.

10. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My husband worked for Lowe's for a decent amount of time. Lowe's is a great company and treats their employees pretty well. One insider tip I have for you, is that on most items, Lowe's is willing to not only price-match, but will also knock 10% off of the price-matched price, as long as you do your homework before you go shopping! (Most prices for these stores can be easily found online on their websites.) The quality of products seems to be better at Lowe's, although Home Depot and Menard's seems to have cheaper prices. While we did some home improvements on our home, we used Lowe's price matching policy in order to get their better-quality building materials for less than their competitior's pricing.

Whether you choose Home Depot or Lowe's, make sure you check out their clearance items in each department, depending on the renovations you are doing! Both stores often have items on clearance that are models or styles that are being discontinued or the packaging might be slightly damaged, but the product is still in tact. Shopping the clearance areas could save you a lot of money in home improvement stores!

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my experience, they are pretty comparable. We have both in the same parking lot, so they are almost right next to each other. Since you can literally walk from one to the other, they seem to be fairly competitive.

One thing I noticed is that they seem to carry just slightly different stock. I think it's in order to avoid having to price match. There stuff is very similar, but just different enough not to qualify for price matching in many cases.

Also, check the websites, especially if you're including new appliances in your renovation. Many times, they will offer some substantial rebates. You could save hundreds of dollars by the time you're done. It adds up.

12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I like both too because when you don't find something visiting Home Depot, you can quickly go to Loews and find it there or vice versa.

However I have to agree with @MrsJones@MrsJones about not finding someone who assist you at Home Depot, particularly in the lamps area. Invariably I usually find problems finding someone specifically within this.

13. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely go to either, but whenever I have needed, I found that Lowe's have a bigger variety. Home Depot is more for day to day while at Lowe's you can find more for constructions and stuff like that. Maybe that is my perception based on the ones I've been to, but if I need I would probably head to Lowes first.