Looking presentable in the heat.

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Lostvalleyguy • May 15, 2014.

1. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    As the sun gets warmer buildings can tend to get hot at this time of year. Many of us have jobs that require a professional look regardless of the temperature. While I am lucky that most of my work can be done in a golf shirt and a decent looking pair of shorts, I do have to dress up more formally for part of my day. It can be a bit of a problem wearing pants and a long sleeved shirt when the temperature rises. Even lighter weight clothing can be a bit too much for the weather. I am fortunate that a tie is not needed.

How do you dress to look professional while combating the heat? If you need to dress formally, does your employer provide an air conditioned work environment?

2. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Well I live in Atlanta where it gets extremely hot during the summer months. I think the best way to look professional in the heat is to find breathable clothing. You can find many stores that offer them online if you do not have access to them where you live. I try to stay as cool as possible by keeping my car air conditioned and staying out of the heat as much as possible.

3. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    I think the best way to look presentable is to just wear short sleeved on 3 quarter shirts. Also, be mindful of the material your clothes are made out of and get heat forgiving material such as nylon or jersey. hope that helped :)

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The material of the clothes you wear would as noted either make the heat worse or bearable. The lighter, the better. Buying such clothes which you use in summertime only would be helpful.

5. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I currently have a retail job that thankfully lets me bit a little more casual then other jobs I've had. I either wear nice cotton v-neck tees with clean jean bermuda shorts, or one of my nicer tank tops, that have wide straps that completely cover my bra straps and has lace on the neckline. We don't really have a dress code, asides from the "please don't dress like you're trying pick someone up off a corner"; other then that, it's all good.

I did once work somewhere that was a retail chain, that made us dress "formally" and it sucked. I was trying to run around and fix up the sale floors and heave stacks of shoe boxes back and worth, sweating my butt off all while in slacks, a blouse and heels. It really sucked butt. (And before you ask, why didn't you just wear flats? I didn't cause I wasn't allowed. Flats were considered a "casual" clothing item, so all the woman had to wear heels. Ugh. Needless to say, I tripped quite often.)

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately, I work in an air conditioned environment. As a matter of fact, they blast cool air to the point I get a bit cold. However, I do take a bus to work, which presents a lot of problems once I am outside. So, one of my solutions is to carry 'work' clothes while en-route and put them once I get to my job. I do this by carrying a tote bag or duffel bag big enough for garments.

7. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately I work in an air conditioned environment but I also live in a city that can get hot and humid. I live about a 10 minute walk from work, but even that short of a distance when it's humid is too long. I like to layer to keep myself looking professional. I like to pair a simple shift dress with a cardigan and do the same for a pair of straight leg flat front trousers and a sleeveless blouse. I think the key to looking presentable it not looking sloppy because it is hit, make sur ebra starps are tucked in, clothes fit well so you don't look uncomfortable and style your hair and make up in line with the weather.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Indeed that is a hard task! Even though right now it is winter where I live, in the summer it gets really really hot. We do have air conditioning where I work, but I do have to walk to get to my building at work and it gets really hot and sweaty. What I do is I usually try to dress in lose and thin clothing so that I don't sweat as much and look as fresh as possible. If you can, It's a good idea to wear a dress to work.