Lottery Tickets As Gifts

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by blues • Feb 3, 2015.

1. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Would you ever buy friends/families/coworkers lottery tickets as gifts? I personally wouldn't mind getting one as I always found it fun to scratch the tickets, even though it's likely I won't win. I know some people buy lotto tickets for when their friends when they turn 18. I think it may have to do with what kind of people you're thinking of giving it to. What do you guys think?

2. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of giving lottery tickets as gifts. I have received a lottery ticket in the past from coworkers and sometimes I give them to friends as a small gift. Lottery tickets are inexpensive and if the person happens to win the lottery from your gift I am sure they will be very happy.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, if I'm sure that the person will appreciate the gift, or if he is into lotto and gambling as a hobby. I haven't been given a lotto ticket as a gift before, so if ever I will receive one in the future, then if it wins, I'll probably give him 20% of what I won as my "thank you gift"!

4. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    I have both given and received lottery tickets as gifts and think they are a great inexpensive gift that could turn into something fantastic. Lottery tickets are especially great for people who are really hard to buy for.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen people put them in cards as an extra gift which is a nice touch. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it can be a nice idea when people are moving or if they are traveling and they don't want a gift. As for splitting the money if there is a win, well once you give a ticket you have handed over ownership, you could write a cheeky message and say 'if you win can I get a share?'

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am quite shocked that the responses in this thread are as ob board with this idea, as they are lol. Because when I first read this thread title, I laughed and thought: Hell no!!! :) But I suppose that that is just because I do not play the lottery anyway, and so if anyone bought me a ticket, I would see it as a waste, unless it was the winning ticket of course ;)

7. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I wouldn't do this, ordinarily the chances of winning are low so can you imagine giving someone a ticket on their Birthday and then witnessing their disappointment as they realize they haven't won anything?
    I'd rather give a loved one a sure thing - something they enjoy.

8. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    What if that 20% ends up being something in the tens of thousands? :p

I think in most cases of lottery ticket gifts, it's usually a fun little add on to the actual present. Or if you know someone for a long while and you've exchanged gifts a few times before and they wouldn't mind receiving a ticket. One of my friend's aunts likes to bring toys and some times tickets for the kids of the family. Usually, the most they could win was always below $100, but if the kids won, their parents allowed them to use most of the money to buy whatever they liked, which the kids, of course, loved.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    I know right??? The chances of winning are next to nothing, and everyone knows that, including the person who is going to receive the gift. You would be better off just giving the person some money for a gift, and that way there is no disappointment in mind. After all, they want the lottery ticket in order to have a shot at winning some money, right??

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think I still will give him part of my "blessings", but only 5% or 10%, depending on how close we are. I would feel indebted to the person that gave the ticket to me, because if it weren't for them, then I would not win anything. :D

11. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Considering the odds, it's more than likely to be money wasted. I mean, my dad gave me an envelope full of scratchers one time. I enjoyed it, because I really like it as a game, to scratch it and all. But if he had given me a ton of lottery tickets, and they're all non-winning, it's just garbage. One as a lil'extra to some other gift might be fun, just a "just in case you're lucky" thing.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually put a £1 scratchcard in with someones birthday card if I'm too broke to buy then a gift. They always seem to be well received, particularly as all my friends are in the same boat financially right now.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    I guess that I can only speak for myself. I would have to say that even if I was someone who partook in the lottery regularly, and someone purchased me a lottery ticket for a gift, I would not be impressed or amused. The chances of winning are next to nothing, and so it would be like the person had not given you a gift at all, because the ticket is most likely worth nothing.

14. Polgie

PolgieNew Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of putting them in as something extra as they're so inexpensive but can be fun. My boyfriend's mother wraps them up in tissue paper and ribbons rather than getting crackers at Christmas!

The question though is... what if they win? I've heard of some pretty nasty battles over who gets the winnings when that happens. So I guess you have to be ready to 'let go' if the giftee wins :)

15. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    I think there's precedents regarding that. The one I'm familiar with is that usually the purchaser of the ticket gets to have the winnings, if there is any. I think they can legally give it away if they sign it over or something, but most people don't really take precautions because it's pretty much guaranteed they don't win. Some people can get pretty nasty if they realized they gave away a lot of money though.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have come to the conclusion that if you are going to get someone a lottery ticket as a gift, then you should accompany it with another gift too?? It just doesn't seem like enough to carry the worth of a gift alone, so giving the person a card, with some money in it, along with the lottery ticket would be fantastic, as opposed to just giving someone a lottery ticket, and just that.

17. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate gambling and anything akin to it. Because that money spent is most likely wasted since winning is almost impossible, unless someone pointed a gun at me, I wouldn't buy a lottery ticket and even then I'd do it very reluctantly.

And because I'd rather not give someone false hope that they can win anything should they buy lottery tickets, I won't give them one as a gift.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    I agree to a certain extent, since the wining is often possible. But highly unlikely!!! I am not someone who likes to gamble either. How people become addicted to is is a hard concept for me to grasp. I like sure things, and I like even surer things where my money is concerned.

19. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think what gets people addicted is that false belief that if someone else can win, they can too. Unless one is psychic . . . it's best not try it.

By the way, I read a story about someone who dreamed he'd won the lottery, had his boss buy the ticket and THEY WON.

Unless I had such a dreamer by my side, buying a lottery ticket certainly is the last thing I'll ever do.

20. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's okay as an extra token on top of a gift, for someone that you know buys lottery tickets. Giving it on its own to another person just seems to suggest that you didn't know what else to buy for the person.