Lower Your Screen Brightness To Lower Electric Bills

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by davos • May 12, 2016.

1. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    In a nutshell this power saving strategy will help to lower your monthly energy consumption. Buying any T.V or electronic device that includes a LCD screen often comes with the defaul brightness set. A normal person doesn't need so much brightness in a well lit room (also is not a good idea to watch a screen with the room lights off during extended periods because that will get your eyes tired faster than usual), therefore is just friendlier for your monthly electric bill to lower the brightness below the default value.

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for this suggestion! Actually, I have adjusted my smartphone's brightness setting already about a few months ago. But I didn't really do that to save electricity primarily, I did that to save my eyes from the strain it was experiencing.

The same goes with my laptop, a few weeks ago, I have adjusted its brightness setting. Since I work at night without any ceiling light, super bad I know, I adjusted the brightness so it won't be very harsh for my eyes.

But I would try and adjust our television's setting as well. At times, my eyes and head hurt from the brightness of it. It's a pretty much big screen television so it can be overwhelming.

From what I've read, it's best to adjust your brightness setting based on your environment. For example, if you're in a well-lit environment, you can lower down the setting. If you're in a darker environment, adjust it so it won't glare to your eyes as well. Basically, base the settings depending on how well-lit the background is.

I hope this helps!

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've done this with my tablet setting, but have never considered doing it with my desktop computer monitor, laptop, or any of my televisions. I don't know why it never occurred to me, but I shy away from using overhead lights, and typically will watch television (as well as using the computer and any other electrical devices) with only a small lamp on, so I'm sure adjusting the brightness setting would probably result in less eye strain. Any electricity I can save in the process will be a bonus, especially with the hot summer months approaching. My electric bill has already increased about 20% this month.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate it when a screen is too bright so without really knowing it, my hatred for it saved me some money.

That said, I'm one of those who prefers watching their movies when all the lights are off. I'm used to it. And it appears that I happen to save money on electric bills on two fronts :)

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like my screen bright but I just keep it at a comfortable setting. As much as I want to lower it just to save energy I would rather just be comfortable and I think if I go any lower and strain my eyes because of it I might end up paying more for it later on with medical bills. I agree that excessive brightness should given more awareness though, both for the heal of eyesight as well as the savings.

6. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think this makes sense - a dimmer monitor saves electricity. Maybe that's the reason why our home desktop has a dimmer setting in the monitor. There was a time that I made the mistake of pressing something on the side of the Samsung monitor and there appeared the setting of brightness and contrast. I noticed that the brightness was way below 50%. My husband said that he was avoiding the glare since his eyes easily develop strain when there is glare.

7. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    I don't believe that lowering the brightness to a low setting would reduce power consumption. Most panels today are LCD panels with backlit by LED's. Unless you go for a very expensive OLED panel this is the normal Case. In these Monitors, there is an LED Backlighting provided as Raw LCD panels don't emit light and can't be viewed in low light. As LED's don;t consume much energy it is wise to adjust the screen display to a comfortable level to avoid Eye discomfort. I don't see a huge difference in power consumption by just reducing Screen Brightness. Your experience may vary. Good Luck.