Luxury Beauty Brands: are they worth it?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by erikao1o • Mar 8, 2014.

1. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    I was wondering what everyone thinks about luxury Beauty Brands, such as the brands you would buy at Sephora. Are brands like NARS, Clinique and Givenchy worth it? What about other brands, have you had any luck with them? Is it worth is to spend a lot of money on a NARS lipstick, when you can get one in the same shade for half the price from Covergirl?

What are everyone's experiences with high-end of luxury beauty brands?

2. LindaKay

LindaKayActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know about NARS and Givenchy. I do use a lot of Clinique, and I also like Lancome and Estee Lauder.

I think it depends on what you're buying. To me, you can't beat the foundation from luxury brands. It provides much better coverage and lasts much longer. It also doesn't take nearly as much. When you factor all of that in, it really isn't as costly; that small bottle will last you longer than a big bottle of Covergirl and will look a whole lot better to boot.

Their other products are high-quality as well, but I'm not quite as picky about things like lipstick. They all come off anyway, and I'd prefer to spend less and have a larger color selection. I definitely suggest using the luxury brand foundation, though. I thought that it wasn't going to be worth the price difference, but I would have a hard time converting back now.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I couldn't agree with all of this more. (Even your brand choices are my top 3 as well!) I absolutely think it is worth it to spend the extra money on good make-up. Not only do these products last longer in general, they last longer in a day. They look noticeably better. They go on noticeably better. Drug store make up looks, feels, and smells cheap to me. Also, most of them break me out. Drug store mascara irritates my eyes.

To me, the difference is like the difference between a $0.99 bottle of nail polish and OPI or China Glaze. They go on smoother, look better, and last longer.

Plus, I think the business practices of expensive make-up brands are typically healthier and more environmentally sound than other cheaper brands, especially lesser well-known cheap brands. Who is to say they don't test on animals, or use chemicals that are harmful?

4. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    Some of them are worth it. But I wouldn't recommend it if you can't really afford them. I suggest that you just read and focus on reading the label if the ingredients work on your skin.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my experience it is all about the ingredients. It depends what you want or need from your product. I find that those over-priced cosmetics and skincare ranges don't do more than a cheaper product on iherb that has the same ingredients and the bonus of no artificial preservatives or other nasties. My main concern are always the hidden ingredients that they don't mention, and that slowly get absorbed into your body through your skin. Some of them cause hormonal changes and other illnesses. Also, a lot of the mainstream cosmetics still do cruel tests on animals.

6. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    Yes. I believe that luxury beauty brands are worth it. I believe the luxury beauty brands are worth it because they are better developed products. Most luxury brands were scientifically designed, and formulated to perform their specific task. As opposed to generic products that were thrown together just to tap into the markets income. You get what you pay for.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think of Clinique as a luxury brand. It's barely high end... but yes, brands like Givenchy, Dior and Chanel, they are considered luxury brands. I think some products are worth it. For example, I really like to wear high and foundations because my skin is very allergic. I have had problems with Maybelline and Covergirl foundations before, so Tarte and Chanel foundations are a great call for me.
    for eye liners and concealer, I tend to go high end as well, but for mascara, lipgloss, lipstick and even eyeshadows, you can find good ones at the drugstore as well.